Rated Impedance: 16ohms Closed Dynamic

Sensitivity: 110dB at 1mW

Frequency range: 18Hz ~ 24kHz

Distortion: <= 0.3% @ 110dB

Channel balance: =< 1dB (at 1000Hz)

Rated input power: 20mW

Maximum input power: 40mW

Plug: 3.5 mm 45-degree gold plated

Time truly moves fast when you’re in audio bliss. This thought struck me after recently looking at my history on Head-fi.org and realizing that I have been a part of this maddening, wallet-breaking and audio bliss family for nearly five years.

Nearly half a decade in the hi-fi and mid-fi audio hobby has brought some trailblazing innovations in the technology of earphones and in-ear monitors. Some earphones and in-ear monitors we thought were state-of-the-art and top of the line - costing $300 or better  - have now been surpassed in sound quality by earphones costing half the price or even less. Companies vying for our dollars have been in fierce competition for consumers’ dollars in the last couple of years, resulting in a windfall of audio blessings for those of us in this hobby who like to stretch our limited dollars for the best of the best.

I cannot remember exactly the first time I was introduced to the Brainwavz line of earphones, but the line seems to have been around almost as long as  I have been a head-fi member. To be honest, their earphones have been hit or miss with me, but the company seems to have bopped one out of the park with its latest offering, the Brainwavz S5. I received a sample of the Brainwavz a little bit over two weeks ago, and I spent most of a week and a half burning them in as I prepared for some coverage of a few jazz festivals I am covering.

Those who know me here in Head-fi know that I am not to caught up in accessories, as I am more about the sound of a product. Yet, it wouldn’t be fair if I skipped the overly generous package of accessories that come with the S5. Brainwavz offers about 9 pairs of various earphone tips to insure that one gets a perfect fit with the beautifully ergonomically shaped earphone shells.

The earphone shells are made out of sturdy eloquent black metal casings, housing decent-size 10mm dynamic drivers. The earphones are designed to be worn over the ear, and are connected to very stylish grey flat cables. Build quality and accessories alone makes one feel like they have gotten way more for their money than the MSRP of about $130 suggests.

But many earphones today are wrapped up in pretty candy shells with no substance when it comes to sound. This is not the case with the S5. Is it the best $150 or below earphone I have heard? No, it isn’t. Yet, that does not mean the earphone won’t compete with other earphones within its pricing category. The S5 clearly competes.

So what it the S5’s sound exactly? Let’s break down the three main frequencies:

Bass: Bass is full and robust. The bass notes are thick and can sound a tad bit muddy in certain recording, but overall it a full and fulfilling sound that is smooth and sticks with you like a warm plate of cheese grits. The bass frequency is not basshead-level, but it is a little bit south of that. There is definitely enough to satisfy anyone who enjoys a little thump in his or her music. EDM, rock and R&B music lovers should be fully satisfied.

Mids: The mids area bit behind the strong bass but are full and clearly there. Electric guitars have nice attack and bite. Acoustic piano is there with good space around the notes. Mids have decent detail and clarity. I wouldn’t say it is the best I have heard in this price range, but it is certainly not the worst. Some percussion instruments seem to lag a little bit behind the bass in being audible, but it’s there. I wouldn’t call the mids too forward or too recessed, but it does hang behind the bass.

Highs:  The highs are crisp without being harsh at all. This is exactly how I like to hear highs. Cymbals shimmer nicely within the mix. Clarity is good for the price range, but it is not the greatest I have heard in this earphone's category. If the bass frequency were toned down a bit it would probably aid in bringing the clarity out a bit more with help from the highs. Yet, make no mistake, you won’t miss anything in your music while listening to it through the S5.

Overall, the S5 competes well in the crowded field of earphones priced in the $100 - $150 range when it comes to sound.  There is added value with the load of accessories included in the packaging, and it is one sleek looking earphone. I think it would probably make a great commuter earphone, and the build quality is sturdy enough for use during workouts or chores around the house. Next to the R3, it is the best Brainwavz earphone I have heard. It is definitely worth trying if you want a decent sounding earphone with good value. Happy listening.

-30-

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 23

Specifications:

[COLOR=000000]Transducers/Drivers: Dynamic, 10mm[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Rated Impedance: 16ohms Closed Dynamic[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Sensitivity: 110dB at 1mW[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Frequency range: 18Hz ~ 24kHz[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Distortion: <= 0.3% @ 110dB[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Channel balance: =< 1dB (at 1000Hz)[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Rated input power: 20mW[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Maximum input power: 40mW[/color]

[COLOR=000000]Plug: 3.5 mm 45-degree gold plated[/color]

Time truly moves fast when you’re in audio bliss. This thought struck me after recently looking at my history on Head-fi.org and realizing that I have been a part of this maddening, wallet-breaking and audio bliss family for nearly five years.

Nearly half a decade in the hi-fi and mid-fi audio hobby has brought some trailblazing innovations in the technology of earphones and in-ear monitors. Some earphones and in-ear monitors we thought were state-of-the-art and top of the line - costing $300 or better  - have now been surpassed in sound quality by earphones costing half the price or even less. Companies vying for our dollars have been in fierce competition for consumers’ dollars in the last couple of years, resulting in a windfall of audio blessings for those of us in this hobby who like to stretch our limited dollars for the best of the best.

I cannot remember exactly the first time I was introduced to the Brainwavz line of earphones, but the line seems to have been around almost as long as  I have been a head-fi member. To be honest, their earphones have been hit or miss with me, but the company seems to have bopped one out of the park with its latest offering, the Brainwavz S5. I received a sample of the Brainwavz a little bit over two weeks ago, and I spent most of a week and a half burning them in as I prepared for some coverage of a few jazz festivals I am covering.

Those who know me here in Head-fi know that I am not to caught up in accessories, as I am more about the sound of a product. Yet, it wouldn’t be fair to not mention the overly generous package of accessories that come with the S5. Brainwavz offers about 9 pairs of various earphone tips to insure that one gets a perfect fit with the beautifully ergonomically shaped earphone shells.

The earphone shells are made out of sturdy eloquent black metal casings, housing decent-size 10mm dynamic drivers. The earphones are designed to be worn over the ear, and are connected to very stylish grey flat cables. Build quality and accessories alone makes one feel like they have gotten way more for their money than the MSRP of about $130 suggests.

But many earphones today are wrapped up in pretty candy shells with no substance when it comes to sound. This is not the case with the S5. Is it the best $150 or below earphone I have heard? No, it isn’t. Yet, that does not mean the earphone won’t compete with other earphones within its pricing category. The S5 clearly competes.

So what it the S5’s sound exactly? Let’s break down the three main frequencies:

Bass: Bass is full and robust. The bass notes are thick and can sound a tad bit muddy in certain recording, but overall it a full and fulfilling sound that is smooth and sticks with you like a warm plate of cheese grits. The bass frequency is not basshead-level, but it is a little bit south of that. There is definitely enough to satisfy anyone who enjoys a little thump in his or her music. EDM, rock and R&B music lovers should be fully satisfied.

Mids: The mids area bit behind the strong bass but are full and clearly there. Electric guitars have nice attack and bite. Acoustic piano is there with good space around the notes. Mids have decent detail and clarity. I wouldn’t say it is the best I have heard in this price range, but it is certainly not the worst. Some percussion instruments seem to lag a little bit behind the bass in being audible, but it’s there. I wouldn’t call the mids too forward or too recessed, but it does hang behind the bass.

Highs:  The highs are crisp without being harsh at all. This is exactly how I like to hear highs. Cymbals shimmer nicely within the mix. Clarity is good for the price range, but it is not the greatest I have heard in this earphone's category. If the bass frequency were toned down a bit it would probably aid in bringing the clarity out a bit more with help from the highs. Yet, make no mistake, you won’t miss anything in your music while listening to it through the S5.

Overall, the S5 competes well in the crowded field of earphones priced in the $100 - $150 range when it comes to sound.  There is added value with the load of accessories included in the packaging, and it is one sleek looking earphone. I think it would probably make a great commuter earphone, and the build quality is sturdy enough for use during workouts or chores around the house. Next to the R3, it is the best Brainwavz earphone I have heard. It is definitely worth trying if you want a decent sounding earphone with good value. Happy listening.

-30-

Nice review eric. It was a wonderful read!

Happy listening to the treble of the s5s. :)

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #4 of 23
Sep 2, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #6 of 23
Written like a true professional.
wink.gif

beerchug.gif

Don't know about that, but I'll take it. Thank you sir. ....lol

Sep 2, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #8 of 23
  plus one. add: like a truly deranged all night listening audio maniac professional! yay!  makes me
want to audition them, sign of a successful review!!! great job ericp10!

Appreciate you drbluenewmexico. I have to tell you about the Chicago Jazz Festival soon. It was fantastic!!

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #11 of 23
Written like a true professional.
wink.gif

i concur, its straight to the point, simple and easy to read. thoroughly enjoyed it. 

beerchug.gif

Don't know about that, but I'll take it. Thank you sir. ....lol

was wondering though because its meant to be over the ear, the cable are also flat, would it not just flop around and not stay behind the ear?

any driver flex? cause it looks like a completely sealed design

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #12 of 23
  Hey, hey, that deserved a front page feature.  Nice work Ericp!  

You should do more reviews man.  

I would if I didn't have the other writing to do DannyBai. See, I feel this can be even better. I do, however, appreciate head-fi.org  putting it on the front page, but I am harder on myself because of what I do for a living. I just like a different approach. We have enough people on head-fi who get into the the technical aspects of these products. I like to keep it simple and look at a product through the lens of the average listener. Will I like the way this product sounds and will I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of it? Simplicity is best sometimes. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #13 of 23
  i concur, its straight to the point, simple and easy to read. thoroughly enjoyed it. 
was wondering though because its meant to be over the ear, the cable are also flat, would it not just flop around and not stay behind the ear?

any driver flex? cause it looks like a completely sealed design

Hello Tom22. I didn't detect any driver flex. The flat rubbery cables can be a bit unruly at times, but actually I have experienced much worse. The chin slider helps hold the cable securely in place. I haven't had any problems with the cable jumping or flopping around from behind the ear. And thank you sir. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #14 of 23
@Tom22 - I had quite a bit of driver flex with my pair. I've noticed that every Brainwavz I've used has significant driver flex. They definitely have a vent hole, it's just very well hidden and almost unnoticeable. Like EricP said, the cable isn't bad at all behind the ear and stays in place well. 

And @EricP: a very nice review. I wouldn't strongly disagree with anything you had to say there. I felt like they held their own and competed well with $100 dollar phones, but didn't stand up to the top players in that category. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #15 of 23
  @Tom22 - I had quite a bit of driver flex with my pair. I've noticed that every Brainwavz I've used has significant driver flex. They definitely have a vent hole, it's just very well hidden and almost unnoticeable. Like EricP said, the cable isn't bad at all behind the ear and stays in place well. 

And @EricP: a very nice review. I wouldn't strongly disagree with anything you had to say there. I felt like they held their own and competed well with $100 dollar phones, but didn't stand up to the top players in that category. 

Thank you for your feedback ZapX629. 
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back