Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
May 1, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #676 of 728
I use them with dedicated DAPs and my iPhone.

They've got good bass and some sparkle up top, so I enjoy them with electronic music (Autechre, Boards of Canada, etc.).

They're a really good deal when MP4Nation puts them on sale!

Thanks for that! Do you have a case on your iPhone? If so, do you find that the bulky 3.5 jack fits well with it? I'm just worried the end connector won't play nicely with the case that's on my phone. . .

May 1, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #677 of 728
Thanks for that! Do you have a case on your iPhone? If so, do you find that the bulky 3.5 jack fits well with it? I'm just worried the end connector won't play nicely with the case that's on my phone. . .

I use a Spigen SlimArmor case, and the plug *just fits*.

May 16, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #678 of 728
Still an exemplary 'phone IMHO. For what, and how I use it (running, gym, commuting) and straight out of my 2nd Gen Nano with no amplification it's quite wonderful. Of course I'm very curious about the Dunu Titan for a few dollars more but it's apparent lack of isolation would drop it below the S5 for me as the S5 isolates more than well enough (with the right tips) to let me enjoy my music and not ambient noise. It isolates wonderfully and has excellent range, separation and soundstage. I really wonder about those who say it's bass light as I think it's bass is nicely full and unamped bests all my other IEM's in bass including my TDK IE800 out of my Fiio E11 with bass boosted to 2. It seems like my own personal brand of ear cocaine. I'm sure a much more expensive IEM would better it but I wouldn't take an expensive one to the gym.

Geez, I sound like a total S5 fanboy.

May 17, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #679 of 728
  Still an exemplary 'phone IMHO. For what, and how I use it (running, gym, commuting) and straight out of my 2nd Gen Nano with no amplification it's are quite wonderful. Of course I'm very curious about the Dunu Titan for a few dollars more but it's apparent lack of isolation would drop it below the S5 for me as the S5 isolates more than well enough (with the right tips) to let me enjoy my music and not ambient noise. It isolates wonderfully and has excellent range, separation and soundstage. I really wonder about those who say it's bass light as I think it's bass is nicely full and unamped bests all my other IEM's in bass including my TDK IE800 out of my Fiio E11 with bass boosted to 2. It seems like my own personal brand of ear cocaine. I'm sure a much more expensive IEM would better it but I wouldn't take an expensive one to the gym.

Geez, I sound like a total S5 fanboy.

No problem with that, its easy to like this earphone. easygoing and strong earphone for gym use.

May 17, 2015 at 1:10 AM Post #681 of 728
S0 and S5 are both great IEM IMHO
L3000.gif

Not great, but really good. These have some strong players in their ground. Still these hold their own.

May 17, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #682 of 728
 Not great, but really good. These have some strong players in their ground. Still these hold their own.

Should've qualified my statement with "At the price I paid"...

MP4Nation has some crazy deals and S0 and S5 are nice sounding, complementary IEM with rugged build. Fantastic IEM to take abuse while satisfying your eardrums :)

Jun 11, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #690 of 728
  Btw, anyone have both the S5 and the MElec. M6 Pro and care to compare? TIA

As a matter of fact, I do. Both are about as V-shaped, but the M6 Pro has tighter bass, thinner mids, and a brighter treble. S5 has more impact and more energy, and doesn't really have that hot of a treble thanks to the bass. IMO I'd take the S5 over the M6 PRO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back