Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
Feb 28, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #661 of 728
Its still decent.  But there have been other releases since that have bested it in value I guess.  For same price range - the Titan is probably the new FOTM (and deservedly so).

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:59 AM Post #663 of 728
Yeah at the $100 price point I agree but at lower prices... hint hint

:p

But I find it eerie that the last post was sometime around Dec last year

The hype train has stopped for this phone, not much buyers are complaining or asking about it, may be they are getting what they want or are a bit lazy to complain about small things, its not flawed from any angle but could have been better though.

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:03 AM Post #664 of 728

The hype train has stopped for this phone, not much buyers are complaining or asking about it, may be they are getting what they want or are a bit lazy to complain about small things, its not flawed from any angle but could have been better though.

Well, you could put things that way, but in my opinion there are a lot more reasons behind the S5's waning hype. Indulge me as I list them down:

• First off, the price. Now, the $100 asking price for the Brainwavz S5 is hardly overpriced, but the $100 range of IEMs is extremely saturated, filled with IEMs both good and bad. And while I do applaud Brainwavz for actually taking the time to reach out to reviewers to give their IEMs the coverage they need, I guess they kinda got lost in translation in the constantly-moving market.

• Second, the sound. Like I said earlier, the market at 100 dollars is huge and saturated to the breaking point, and as such it takes a very good IEM to stand out and get people's attention and hype. Now, before I make any more statements, the S5 sounds great and I really wouldn't want it any other way. I guess it's just that there are already a lot of similar basshead-friendly V-shaped IEMs that you can really just pick one of them and not have to worry about buying anything else in that category. 

• Third, the market itself. Now, though the $100 market is really crammed, it's not the only market in the headphone industry, and the markets just above and just below that $100 is booming with amazing competitors that blow already-great choices at the $100 point right out of the water. Above $100, you have the recently-released DUNU Titan 1 at $130, which, I have to say, is probably the best IEM I have ever heard since I started this audio journey. Below that price, you have the ever-rising demand for Chinese-branded IEMs, from nameless brands like Havi, Ostry, and KZ.

I'm sure there are other reasons to explain the S5's slowing buzz, but right now, I can't think of any more than those three (and IMO they're pretty true).

Feb 28, 2015 at 11:17 AM Post #665 of 728
I still use my S5, they sound really capable from my S:Flo2, I think it's a great IEM. But what we're seeing here is pure example of what I've said in other threads and mentioned above. The market is so saturated, especially at this $100 point it's becoming harder an harder for any given IEM to gain traction or cement itself within the forums. Take a look around at the Chinese IEM market flooding the boards with $20-$50 offerings., it seems we just chew through them like candy bars. It's all about 'new this' 'new that', ok been there, next please...

S5 is still a great IEM, it's simply fallen to the consequences of a flooded market.

Feb 28, 2015 at 12:42 PM Post #666 of 728
S5 is still a great IEM, it's simply fallen to the consequences of a flooded market.

Exactly, And i hope Brainwavz will come up with something even better this time. A real competition to Dn1k or 2k.

Feb 28, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #667 of 728
They actually had a special recently. Basically half price but I missed it. Wish I hadn't as mine sort of "broke". Bass kinda dropped off suddenly and I noticed a rattling sound on one side. I actually REALLY liked these as they sounded fantastic straight out of my 2nd gen Nano.  Probably wouldn't replace them at 99 bucks but almost definitely would at 49. I'm just concerned about their durability now. Of all the old phones I have listed in my profile the ONLY other ones not working are my old Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3...and they work if I get the cable positioned correctly. I try to baby my headphones and it bums me that these didn't last that long. :frowning2:

I wonder if I should send them back to Brainwavz as they were a demo pair. Maybe they can do an autopsy and it will help them see if there is an inherent problem with these phones and correct it. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 7:12 PM Post #668 of 728

Exactly, And i hope Brainwavz will come up with something even better this time. A real competition to Dn1k or 2k.

You mean like a statement product? I'm honestly very doubtful of that, considering Brainwavz' products are mostly geared for the consumer market, to be honest; from what I've tried from tehir products, the R3 seems to be the only one that catches my eye as an audiophile IEM. 

Feb 28, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #669 of 728
Just picked these up as part of the recent mp4nation promotion and am running them in. Nice piece of kit for the price I paid :wink_face:

Read good things about S0 and will have those waiting for me at work on Monday as part of another mp4nation promotion.

Now I've got the entire S lineup after getting S1 with X5 preorder at mp4nation back at X5 launch.

Agree with comments that they're not game changers but they're all pretty good bang for your buck IEM (especially if you catch mp4nation promotions) with fun factor appeal.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:52 PM Post #670 of 728
  You mean like a statement product? I'm honestly very doubtful of that, considering Brainwavz' products are mostly geared for the consumer market, to be honest; from what I've tried from tehir products, the R3 seems to be the only one that catches my eye as an audiophile IEM. 

Yes, an audiophile product, i just wish, they should try for one at least, Like a close to $200 phone, like $180 something. With flatter spectrum, S5 was good but that mid bass was bolted, some mids were not to the mark, highs were not much there and stage was a bit uneven too. Yes, i would agree too that R3 is their closest audiophile attempt. It just lacked those minor details, bass should have had smaller decay, and should have reveled more. I think their next flagship or Top of the line earphone will be good. May be M7 or M8 or R5!!

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #671 of 728
  They actually had a special recently. Basically half price but I missed it. Wish I hadn't as mine sort of "broke". Bass kinda dropped off suddenly and I noticed a rattling sound on one side. I actually REALLY liked these as they sounded fantastic straight out of my 2nd gen Nano.  Probably wouldn't replace them at 99 bucks but almost definitely would at 49. I'm just concerned about their durability now. Of all the old phones I have listed in my profile the ONLY other ones not working are my old Ultimate Ears Super Fi 3...and they work if I get the cable positioned correctly. I try to baby my headphones and it bums me that these didn't last that long. :frowning2:

I wonder if I should send them back to Brainwavz as they were a demo pair. Maybe they can do an autopsy and it will help them see if there is an inherent problem with these phones and correct it. 

Hey there. Drop me an email with details and I will fix that for you.
Cheers!

Mar 3, 2015 at 10:23 AM Post #672 of 728

Hey there. Drop me an email with details and I will fix that for you.
Cheers!

Thanks for the offer but that doesn't seem very fair to you guys since you were kind enough to send me them as a review pair. But I would be happy to send them back to you (at my expense) if you want to do an autopsy. Don't know if this is an isolated incident or if anyone else has had this problem. They seem so sturdy and well...bulletproof that I was kind of shocked when I noticed it. 

Mar 3, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #673 of 728
  Thanks for the offer but that doesn't seem very fair to you guys since you were kind enough to send me them as a review pair. But I would be happy to send them back to you (at my expense) if you want to do an autopsy. Don't know if this is an isolated incident or if anyone else has had this problem. They seem so sturdy and well...bulletproof that I was kind of shocked when I noticed it. 

That's okay. Shoot me an email :)

May 1, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #674 of 728
Anyone using these with the Galaxy Note 4? How are they? Good for EDM?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back