Brainwavz S5 IEM Headphones Review
Jul 11, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #151 of 728
Exactly, if the price paid is times 2/3 to S5, BUT certainly not for mere $5 extra.:D Nobody can ( truly) complain.

And I agree with BA 's aggressive and bright, as I do have single BA muzx 606 ultra and TF10 and to me the bass(on 606) is what I really miss out to my dynamic IEMs (S5i,vsd1 LE,vsd3S,denon 360,bwavxM5,S1 etc) I have,even my meelec M9 excels($15-$18) in bass (bass head) but rest of the important aspects in sound reproduction is my cup of tea,TO ME....for the price what I paid.(P2P ratio) ........ymmv.

Oh btw,I go little sick (I may say little but its definitely noticable (to me) and its unfair to say just sick,being a fan of bwavz-yeah truth be told :D) when I have my S1 for atleast an hour or so due to its tiresome hi's, not sure about others,but it is to me......

Yep, at one stage in this hobby I was all about maximum detail, clarity, technical ability, though as time moves on (as we do) I'm beginning to think that isn't where the truth of sound quality lies. Possibly a happy medium somewhere in between. I will say though I enjoy brainwavs S5 very much. When I can listen thinking 'this is all you really need' that's a beautiful thing.

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #152 of 728
Yep, at one stage in this hobby I was all about maximum detail, clarity, technical ability, though as time moves on (as we do) I'm beginning to think that isn't where the truth of sound quality lies. Possibly a happy medium somewhere in between. I will say though I enjoy brainwavs S5 very much. When I can listen thinking 'this is all you really need' that's a beautiful thing.

K....so looks like your signature will be modified as S5 replaces your dynamic IEMs and rest of your IEM collections will be for sale sooner or later:wink:...... as you found your destiny now? Coz you really got all you need,with S5 (sound) ....Is my understanding correct? Im just asking....

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #153 of 728
K....so looks like your signature will be modified as S5 replaces your dynamic IEMs and rest of your IEM collections will be for sale sooner or later:wink:...... as you found your destiny now? Coz you really got all you need,with S5 (sound) ....Is my understanding correct? Im just asking....

Probably not unfortunately , as to further complicate things I become bored quickly of any one earphone. One week, two weeks , we must rejoice while S5 is young. :wink:

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #154 of 728
80+ hours in. These babies are SMOOOOTH now. Will do some in depth listening and comparisons this weekend but did a two mile run this morning and enjoyed a much lower degree of microphonics (as I anticipated) than with some of my other headphones. It's likely due to the over the ear placement, the softer rubber of the flat cables and the handy cable slider that does a really good job of knocking out the noise from cable bounce while running*. In fact I didn't even miss a shirt clip with these. Might need to try some different tips for running as the ones that came installed didn't stay in quite as well as some of my softer silicon tips. I'll try cleaning them with a little alcohol first before my next run. So far so good Brainwavz.

*note- I wear my earphones a little differently when running. I run the cable behind my neck, Usually clip to the back of the neck of my shirt and then run the cable out the arm hole to my iPod. The cable slider made a shirt clip unnecessary. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #155 of 728
  80+ hours in. These babies are SMOOOOTH now. Will do some in depth listening and comparisons this weekend but did a two mile run this morning and enjoyed a much lower degree of microphonics (as I anticipated) than with some of my other headphones. It's likely due to the over the ear placement, the softer rubber of the flat cables and the handy cable slider that does a really good job of knocking out the noise from cable bounce while running*. In fact I didn't even miss a shirt clip with these. Might need to try some different tips for running as the ones that came installed didn't stay in quite as well as some of my softer silicon tips. I'll try cleaning them with a little alcohol first before my next run. So far so good Brainwavz.

*note- I wear my earphones a little differently when running. I run the cable behind my neck, Usually clip to the back of the neck of my shirt and then run the cable out the arm hole to my iPod. The cable slider made a shirt clip unnecessary. 

Sounding good so far 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Glad they are smoothing out for you as well. As I've stated a few times already, but it bears repeating, these do better as they age. Nice tip on how to use them for running as well, sounds like a great idea.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #156 of 728
Well, you can add another one on here who says that the S5's match up very, very well with the Colorfly C3 DAP....got my shiny new C3 in this morning and can't stop using it 
biggrin.gif
 They really bring out the best in the S5's no doubt. Thanks to H20 for the heads up on this fine little DAP, very nice player indeed. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #157 of 728
My S5 are scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #158 of 728
Brooko's Review (copy here - http://www.head-fi.org/products/brainwavz-s5-in-ear-headphones/reviews/11279)

Brainwavz S5 – Hits The Trifecta – Balance, Comfort And Value

For larger views of any of the photos (1200 x 800) - please click on the individual images

PROS
Clarity (but relaxed tone), build, fit, value, balanced sound signature, accessories

CONS
Cable noise 

RATING
4 Stars

PREAMBLE

Brainwavz is a now well established manufacturer of headphones in the value for money category – offering many different options (especially for IEMs) that suit almost anyone’s sonic preferences.  I’ve previously had both good and bad experiences with their headphones / IEMs – I previously reviewed and owned their B2 IEMs and HM5 headphones, and both were stellar performers.  I also sampled their R1 and R3 IEMs – but unfortunately these didn’t quite tick my boxes as much.

So when D2K alerted the community here that there was a new offering (the S3), and that his trial was really positive, I immediately subscribed to the growing thread.  I was then contacted by Audrey and Raz about sampling the S5, and I readily agreed – especially after Luke (H20Fidelity) also suggested that they were well worth looking into.

I received the courier pack earlier in the week – and have already spent most days in that time getting to know the ins and out of these IEMs. I’d estimate that so far I’ve logged around 30-40 hours with the Brainwavz S5.  A lot of this involved tip rolling and using different sources and genres to really get a feel for what the S5 offers to different music tastes.

I’ve listed price at USD $99.50 (current Amazon and MP3Nation price at time of writing) – however this is not what I paid for them (they are a review sample).  I have already contacted Audrey offering payment for these IEMs though – already I feel they may well be keepers.  Will advise result after she contacts me.

DISCLAIMER

I was provided the Brainwavz S5 as a review sample.  I am in no way affiliated with Brainwavz or MP4Nation - and this review is my honest opinion of the Brainwavz S5.  I would like to thank Raz and Audrey for making this opportunity available.

PREAMBLE - 'ABOUT ME'.   (or a base-line for interpreting my thoughts and bias)

I'm a 47 year old music lover.  I don't say audiophile – I just love my music.  Over the last couple of years, I have slowly changed from cheaper listening set-ups to my current set-up.  I vary my listening from portable (HSA Studio V3, Fiio X5, and iPhone4) to my desk-top's set-up (PC > coax > NFB-12 > LD MKIV > HP).  My main full sized headphones at the time of writing are the Sennheiser HD600, Beyer T1 and DT880.  Most of my portable listening is done with IEMs - and up till now it has mainly been with the Dunu DN-1000 or the HSA BA100 IEMs. A full list of the gear I have owned (past and present is listed in my Head-fi profile).

I have very eclectic music tastes listening to a variety from classical/opera and jazz, to grunge and general rock.   I listen to a lot of blues, jazz, folk music, classic rock, indie and alternative rock.  I am particularly fond of female vocals.  I tend toward cans that are relatively neutral/balanced.  I am neither a bass nor treble head (you could argue that I do like clarity though).  I am not treble sensitive (at all), and in the past have really enjoyed headphones like the K701, SR325i, and of course the DT880.

For the purposes of this review - I used the Brainwavz S5 straight from the headphone-out socket of my Fiio X5, iPhone 4 and Studio V3.  I did not bother with amping them, as IMO they do not benefit from additional amplification.  In the time I have spent with the S5, I have noticed no change to the overall sonic presentation (I do not believe in 'night and day' burn-in).  I will allow that the more time I've have spent with these IEM's, the better they continue to sound to me.  Personally I think this is a combination of brain burn in and tip-rolling - but I will respect others choice if they interpret this as physical burn-in.

This is a purely subjective review - my gear, my ears, and my experience.  Please take it all with a grain of salt - especially if it does not match your own experience.

THE REVIEW

PACKAGING AND ACCESSORIES

The Brainwavz S5 arrived in a very smart retail box (book type) – with an inner container housing the IEMs and accessories.               

Front of the retail box
Rear of the retail box

The packaging is very attractive and I think Brainwavz have put a lot of effort into this.  It is functional, but also has a quality (or sophisticated) look to it.  The colours simply convey something special.   The retail box contains the catch phrase “rich details, smooth bass, over the ear design” on the front cover.  A straight forward and simple message – and one it delivers on IMO. On the rear of the box is a list of accessories included plus the earphone specifications.  On the inside of the front page is a really nice touch – and shows that Brainwavz are proud of what they are delivering – an expanded internal diagram of what makes up the S5.  The inner audio-nut in me loves this sort of thing!

Inside cover of the retail box
Inner packaging

The accessory package is typical Brainwavz – very comprehensive, and quite exceptional for this price range.

First up you get the Brainwavz carry case – which is a hard fabric covered pouch – and easily carries all your tips and the S5.  The case is really good because it does offer a lot of protection to the IEMs – but it is definitely more suited to transport in a jacket pocket or bag rather than a trouser pocket – simply due to its height.  This is definitely a quality carry case though.

Comprehensive included accessories
The Brainwavz carry case (dual internal pockets)

Along with the case you also get a very high quality 3.5-6.3 mm adaptor (which does fit and work perfectly with the S5), a small combined instruction plus warranty information sheet (reverse side), a huge selection of silicone tips, and a genuine set of comply T400 medium tips.

3.5 - 6.3 mm adaptor
Comply T400 tips fitted to the S5

The silicone tips include 6 sets of standard tips, 1 set of double flanges, and one set of triple flanges. 

Wide range of silicone tips + comply 400s
Silicone tips and comply 400 in profile 

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

(From Brainwavz)
Drivers
Dynamic, 10mm
Shell
All metal
Rated Impedance
16 ohms
Frequency Range
18 Hz – 24 kHz
Sensitivity
110 dB @ 1mW
Cable
1.3m, flat copper cable
Plug
3.5 mm gold plated, straight
Weight
21g (with comply T400s fitted)
Fitting
Over ear

FREQUENCY GRAPHS

I have requested this information – but not sure if it is available.  If not, I will re-edit the review and add the information when someone eventually measures the S5.  For the record – I’m expecting a relatively flat mid-range, slightly elevated mid bass, and some roll off in the treble.

BUILD QUALITY

Brainwavz S5 all metal shells
Molded strain relief attached to the shell

When I first saw photos – before I’d done the research – I automatically assumed that the body was hard moulded plastic.  It definitely looks a lot like the body of Shure’s SE range.  Up close – it even looks like black shiny plastic – but when you actually handle them, you realise that it is actually an aluminium alloy.  The build quality on the S5 shell is extremely good – one of the best I’ve seen at any price.  It’s ergonomically designed for the shell to fit relatively flat against the concha – with the nozzle protruding on an angle into the ear canal.  The design is such that the body of the S5 sitting against the concha is well rounded, very smooth, and (for me) extremely comfortable.  With so many dynamic driver earphones opting for a bullet type shell, it is very refreshing seeing this sort of design option, as I find it aids both isolation and comfort.

The S5 is also relatively light weight and comfortable to wear – weighing in at only 21g, and I think a lot of the 21g is actually in the cable (more on this below). Comparatively, other IEMs I’ve tried recently vary between the very light weight Alfa Genus and  BA100 at around 14g, and the DN1000 coming in around 26g.

Brainwavz S5 body and angled nozzle
Brainwavz S5 body and angled nozzle

The strain relief from the IEM housing is relatively rigid rubber moulded onto the housing, and looks of sufficient quality to last for considerable time, and protect the cable very well.  L/R markings are printed in very small print on the strain reliefs – but IMO this is not an issue, as the design can only really be worn one way.  And that’s another of the great things about this design – it’s easy in no light/low light situations to always get the right ear piece simply by feel.

The cable is a 1.3m flat copper cable in an outer rubbery flat sheath. It seems very solid, but leads to my only real complaint about the S5.  The cable is quite microphonic compared to a lot of the IEMs I’ve had the pleasure of trying recently.  It’s not the flat design either – it’s simply the rubbery sheath.  I tried running in them earlier in the week, and even with them properly cinched, I got a fair amount of microphonics.  Wind on the cable yielded similar issues.  They weren’t as bad, when walking, and definitely better with the cable properly cinched.  Another way to alleviate this might be with a shirt clip, or to tuck the cable well inside clothing.  Whilst there are ways of fixing this, it is unfortunate IMO that the design was not altered.  I’ve included a photo of the Alfa Genus cable I reviewed recently (similar price bracket) which shows what can be achieved – twisted pair with a low microphonic outer sheath – strong, malleable, quiet.  Something for Brainwavz to think about for the future perhaps?  The flat cable is comfortable over ear.

Flat (but rubbery) cable
Y split and 3.5 mm plug

The splitter is a little larger than most offerings, but is flat and does have a cinch (neck slider) which works well.  Strain reliefs are very good.

The plug is a straight plug which is relatively petite – and I had no issues fitting it to my iPhone with cover intact.  Once again, strain relief at the plug is excellent.

FIT / COMFORT / ISOLATION

I have one ear canal slightly different to the other one (my right is very slightly smaller) - so I tend to find that usually single silicon flanges don't fit overly well.  I initially tried the grey large silicone tips included, and they actually fit pretty well.  I was finding that the seal would get interrupted a little, so I tried my trusty pair of Monster Super Tips (dense foam that almost always give me a complete seal).  They did fit exceptionally well – but tended to attenuate the upper-mids and highs just a little, whilst making the bass almost too prominent.  So I them switched to the Comply T400s – and ….. perfection (for me).  Really good comfort, good isolation, but more importantly the sonic signature returned to a nicely balance mix.

All tips stayed intact with the S5 during insertion and removal, so the design of the nozzle definitely gets thumbs up from me.  Isolation with the T400s is good enough for long distance air travel, and the comfort is brilliant.  I’d have no issues at all sleeping with the Brainwavz S5 – especially with their flat profile.

So what does the Brainwavz S5 sound like ……… ?

SOUND QUALITY

Brainwavz S5 + Studio 3 Anniversary
Brainwavz S5 + Fiio X5

The following is what I hear from the Brainwavz S5.  YMMV – and probably will – as my tastes are likely different to yours (read the preamble I gave earlier for a baseline).  Most of the testing at this point (unless otherwise stated) was done with my Fiio X5 as source.

Tracks used were across a variety of genres – and can be viewed in this list http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks.

Thoughts on General Signature

I’m finding the Brainwavz S5 to be relatively balanced across the audio spectrum with a boost to the bass presence (and when I say boost, these are in no way dark or muddy), quite flat and balanced mid-range (nice cohesion between lower mids and upper mids), and a polite but clear treble.  One thing I am noticing is that because there is no real boost in the 2-4kHz region, I’m actually listening to the S5 at a slightly louder volume level than I would with other IEMs (I’ve noticed a lot of other IEMs boost this region to bring vocals forward).  I tested this last night with the T-Peos Altone200s, and to approximately match the vocal SPL on the A200s required another 7dB on the S5.  I tested this with an SPL meter and 3kHz constant tone. – then afterwards compared Christina Perri’s track “Human”.

Overall Detail / Clarity

For this I used both Steely Dan’s “Gaucho” and Dire Strait’s “Sultans of Swing” as there is a lot of micro detail in both tracks, and the recording quality for both is excellent.

The Brainwavz S5 displayed reasonable detail retrieval with a mellow and laid back sound.  With Gaucho, the cymbals are there, but in the background (behind the vocals).  It is a very smooth presentation, with no peakiness – just allowing me to enjoy the track.    Switching to Sultans of Swing, and once more the focus is more mid-range than treble.  This track shows a little more crispness – but again, no peaks, and Knopfler’s guitar just really sings.  The more I listened to these tracks, I realised that any brightness is probably more on the upper mid-range than the actual treble itself.  Cymbals and high-hats are there, but subdued (or polite) rather than brashly represented as some IEMs do.

There is no smearing of detail in either track – so separation is pretty good.

Sound-stage & Imaging

For this I used Amber Rubarth’s binaural recording “Tundra”.  I used this because it’s a pretty simple way to get comparative data on sound-stage.

It’s usually difficult to get a reasonable stage size from an inner ear monitor.  The stage is often quite small / close – with an average impression of space.  The Brainwavs S5 for me is a typical IEM in this regard.  The sound – while relatively clear (the drums are probably the most focused), is still very much ‘in your head’ – but still enjoyable.  Directional queues are good – so for a value priced IEM its imaging is OK – perhaps not quite as stellar as some of the more detail oriented IEMs I’ve tried recently.

I also used Loreena McKennitt’s “Dante’s Prayer” and the S5 again delivered a very smooth and easy to listen to performance.  The sense of space normally exhibited by my full sized headphones (HD600 / DT880) was missing – but the overall presentation was enjoyable and there were some directional queues present.  In this track, the applause at the end is so well presented that with some headphones (HD600) I can actually close my eyes and imagine myself in the crowd.  With the S5, the clapping did seem a little distant – but there was a sense of space, and the more realistic tone actually does emulate some of what the HD600 can achieve.  At this point I retried the ending again, this time giving the S5 a volume boost, and all of a sudden the crowd sprang into life – and the some of the realism I hear with the HD600 was apparent.  Quite an achievement at this price point.

Genre Specific Notes

Again for tracks, albums, artists – please refer to this list:  http://www.head-fi.org/a/brookos-test-tracks

Rock – For me, the S9’s perform well with this genre, with the most noticeable feature being the smoothness of the overall presentation, and also the very punchy bass.  3 Doors Down “Away From the Sun”, and Alter Bridge’s “Broken Wings” are both nicely presented – but their isn’t the same crunch and excitement with guitar that I’ve had with IEMs with a slightly brighter top-end.  Overall though it is very easy to listen to the S5 for extended periods of time, and there is simply no fatigue with any of the tracks I’ve listened to.  Even on the much faster “Diary of Jayne”, although the presentation is slightly warmer than I am used to – nothing sounds smeared – the driver is keeping up nicely.  Vocals are well presented – but rather than being too far forward, they are really nicely matched with a very present and impactful bass.

Alt Rock – First up was Pink Floyd’s “Money”, and unfortunately the S5 just didn’t quite do this classic track justice.  The cymbals this time were almost lost.  Bass (especially bass guitar) was exceptional, vocals were nicely presented, even the sax was well represented, but the top end detail was unfortunately missing.  Switching to Porcupine Tree’s “Trains”, and here is a track that suits the S5 really well.  The bass is just gorgeous – and this time even the upper end is present.  Best of all Wilson’s voice just really suits the S5’s relaxed vocal presentation.

Jazz / Blues / Bluegrass – I started with Portico Quartet’s “Ruins” and enjoyed the presentation – but missed some of the crunch/crispness that I normally get with the trumpet in this excellent track.  Moving to Miles Davis “So What”, and whilst it’s a pleasant and non-fatiguing listen, some of the finer details (particularly in the cymbals and high-hats) are simply not where they should be.  There just isn’t the contrast.  Miles trumpet is intoxicating though – and the S5 does the master justice with a presentation as smooth as his playing style.  Switching to Blues – I fired up Joe Bonamassa’s India-Mountain Time, a track that I like immensely.  The guitar work is very different to what I am used to – slightly darker with less sparkle and crunch.  But it’s still Joe doing what he does best – and once he starts singing, I actually like the S5’s presentation of his vocals very much.  Switching to “Dust Bowl Children” (Alison Kraus and Union Station), and the S5 also does this pretty well.  A little less excitement in the banjo than I’m used to – but the cohesion between vocals and stringed instruments makes it a very easy listening experience.

Rap / EDM / Pop – Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” shines with the S5 – everything works together very cohesively (vocals, bass, guitar), and it’s surprising how much bass these drivers can deliver with the right song.  What surprises me though is how clear the song is despite the copious bass it’s putting out.  I think even bassheads would enjoy the S5!   Switching to Norah Jones “Light as a Feather” (a fusion of pop with jazz undertones), and it is pure vocal heaven.  I could listen to this sort of presentation for hours.  In fact most Pop in my library just sounds right with the S5 – vocals shine, bass is impactful, again the word cohesion comes to mind.  Switching to EDM – I tried Lindsay Stirling’s “Electric Daisy Violin”, and I was blown away by how good these are for this type of music.  There is enough upper mid-range to make Lindsay’s violin clear, smooth, and utterly enjoyable.  And then there is the bass, thumping, but clearly defined – just the perfect compliment.  I also tried some Little Dragon and some Flashbulb – and it is clear to me, most electronic music shines with the S5 IMHO. 

Classical / Opera – This was a surprise wasn’t really expecting.  I thought the S5 might be a little too smooth for these genres, but I really enjoyed them – especially with Netrebko and Garanca.  Even Kempff’s Moonlight Sonata was very captivating, and I think this might be one of the S5’s hidden strengths.  Because it has such a balanced mid-range it can convey a sense of realism with individual instruments (eg piano) which is sometimes lost when the mid-range is too forward.

AMPLIFICATION REQUIREMENTS

The S5 is very easily powered straight out of virtually any portable device, and I didn’t experience any issues with the 3 DAPs I tested (iPhone 4, Studio V3, or Fiio X5).  Of the three – my personal preference would go to the Studio V3’s slightly brighter presentation.

RESPONSE TO EQ?

I was keen to see what the S5 could do by applying a little EQ.  So feeling somewhat lazy, I simply switched to my iPhone, fired up the Accudio Pro app, and loaded an HD600 base signature with a K701 mask over the top.  I went back to Portico Quartet’s “Ruins” again, and this time the detail I was missing earlier was more present.  So the S5 responded really well to EQ for me. This is something I need to look into further as I use these more.

COMPARISON OTHER IEMs – DN-1000, BA100, T-Peos Altone200

Track – a personal favourite of mine – Pearl Jam’s “Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town”

Vs HiSound Audio's BA-100
Hands down my preference is the S5.  It’s amazing after having these in my ears for a few days how thin the BA100 is in comparison.  I know that’s just my brain not used to the very contrasting sound signatures – but I didn’t think the difference would be this large.  The S5 has beautiful tone and excellent timbre with this track.  The BA100 is clearer, but it simply seems to lack body.

Vs Dunu DN-1000
This time it’s a lot closer – but where the BA100 was thin, the DN-1000 is fuller, and delivers both tonality, but also a clearer presentation more suited to my individual tastes.  The S5 definitely competes well though, and is definitely not embarrassed by its much more expensive competition.  Where the DN-1000 has a little more sparkle and contrast, the S5 still delivers better bass impact, and is smoother.  I actually may also prefer Vedder’s voice with the S5 …….

Vs T-Peos Altone200
This is a tough one because the presentations are quite different – but they are quite close in price at the moment.  The Altone200 will sit eventually around the $150 mark, so I suppose it is a little unfair on the S5.  The S5 continues to be very full bodied, with excellent timbre and tone – and is very smooth.  The Altone200 is not quite as full bodied, but has excellent bass presence, and superior upper mids and treble.  For this track I may have a slight preference toward the T-Peos.  But that is no doubt my personal preference for a little more sparkle and energy.

BRAINWAVZ S5 - SUMMARY

Those who’ve seen my reviews before will know that I tend to write reasonably long rambling ones.  So once again, if you’re still with me to the end, my thanks.

The Brainwavz S5 is an extremely well built IEM with a “neutralish” sound signature, very good tone and timbre, and excellent comfort and fit.  Once again it is an IEM that belies its $100 price range – delivering superior sonics at an incredible value.  It has an emphasis on bass impact, but does not come at the cost of clarity or smearing into the mid-range.  The mid-range itself is quite linear, but the treble is what I would call polite (definitely not a focus).  The S5 has a very smooth overall signature which suits many genres.  Treble-heads, or people preferring brightness and etched detail should definitely look elsewhere – unless they are willing to rely on some EQ (which the S5 responds to quite nicely).

The one fault I do find with the S5 is that the cable is perhaps a little too bulky, and is definitely microphonic – but this can be managed to minimise the effects.

The litmus question again for me would be “would I buy these for myself”, and “would I recommend them to my family”.  The answer to this question is YES – and I am in the process of discussing with Raz and Audrey a mechanism so that I can purchase them.

These are easily the best Brainwavz offering I’ve tried since the B2 (a few years ago).

RECOMMENDATIONS TO BRAINWAVZ

Consider changing the cable to something lighter and less microphonic

Jul 12, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #159 of 728
Got a chance to listen to the S5 today, I have to say, it sounds a lot like the S1's signature...  But done right.  It's still a bassy signature, but it's done properly. 

The low end has a nice large body to it with strong impacts that can boom.  The sub-bass texturing has a lot of fluidity to it and can even rumble at times.  This rumbling sub-bass gives the presence of a large sound stage; it's quite euphoric.  Depth and presence is not a problem with the bass by any means. 

The midrange is purely created to be smooth.  This sacrifices some details and any sort of aggression that the mids could have, but the straight fluid-smooth midrange you get in return is worth it in many ways (and I'm not one to like colored sound).  Vocals have a lush and deep tonality to them.  They don't quite hit the higher octaves of the human vocal range, but the depth that the voice has is simply inviting.  The upper midrange offers ample clarity to add a bit of energy to the midrange. 

The treble has a very comforting snap to it that isn't overdone.  Rather, it gives good detailing and offers good extension without becoming overbearing.  The upper treble sparkles beautifully with great smoothness to them.  They offer good clarity and detailing as well.  Extension is ample enough for most instrumentals.  It should be noted, however, that the air is missing from these IEMs.

The S5 sound very...  Euphoric?  Engulfing?  Enticing?  All three words would easily describe this IEM.  It's definitely a very fun IEM to listen to and get lost with. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #160 of 728
  Got a chance to listen to the S5 today, I have to say, it sounds a lot like the S1's signature...  But done right.  It's still a bassy signature, but it's done properly. 

The low end has a nice large body to it with strong impacts that can boom.  The sub-bass texturing has a lot of fluidity to it and can even rumble at times.  This rumbling sub-bass gives the presence of a large sound stage; it's quite euphoric.  Depth and presence is not a problem with the bass by any means. 

The midrange is purely created to be smooth.  This sacrifices some details and any sort of aggression that the mids could have, but the straight fluid-smooth midrange you get in return is worth it in many ways (and I'm not one to like colored sound).  Vocals have a lush and deep tonality to them.  They don't quite hit the higher octaves of the human vocal range, but the depth that the voice has is simply inviting.  The upper midrange offers ample clarity to add a bit of energy to the midrange. 

The treble has a very comforting snap to it that isn't overdone.  Rather, it gives good detailing and offers good extension without becoming overbearing.  The upper treble sparkles beautifully with great smoothness to them.  They offer good clarity and detailing as well.  Extension is ample enough for most instrumentals.  It should be noted, however, that the air is missing from these IEMs.

The S5 sound very...  Euphoric?  Engulfing?  Enticing?  All three words would easily describe this IEM.  It's definitely a very fun IEM to listen to and get lost with. 

Good observations and very much what I am finding as I go thru my main music lists for the first time. How do you find the soundstage?

Jul 12, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #161 of 728

Good observations and very much what I am finding as I go thru my main music lists for the first time. How do you find the soundstage?

Sound stage's width and depth is actually created by the sub-bass texturing.  It's on the larger side of things. 

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #164 of 728
Thanks Simon.  Easy to write the good stuff when the hardware you're working with is just simply enjoyable.  Thumbs up to Brainwavz for the S5.

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #165 of 728
Great review, Brooko, as always well done and well detailed 
smily_headphones1.gif
 , nice pics, too. 

Good observations, tinyman392, I fully agree. After listening to the S5's with the C3, I'm hearing a fuller signature with them than with my Clip+. The soundstage has widened considerably and FLAC especially is much more detailed and rich. he bass beefed up a bit as well(but it's by no means bass-y, just more full)While I may not be an audiophile, this experience has definitely made me consider buying even better equipment for future reviews as well as for my own use...actually more so for my own use 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back