Brainwavz S5 : A Review by Baycode
Sep 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Baycode

Headphoneus Supremus
Brainwavz S5 (Price: 99.5 USD):   A Review by Baycode
CATEGORY: IEM

I always prefer to see "detailed but simple and easy to evaluate reviews" on head-fi. So I ended up using the graphs. Each factor you see in the graph is provided after extensive listening and A-B'ing with other iems. The higher the value, the better that factor gets. Anything less than 5 is below average, 5 is average, 10 is max. These numberings are not based on any other reviews. For better understanding the terminology and graph please see the notes section on the bottom of this page and read this glossary. To see the summary of the graph just look at the red and orange bars (red bar is average value of all factors while orange is the average value of only the sound quality). For the other factors you can find short notes under separate headlines. I want my reviews to be as fast an effectively understandable as possible which reflects only the TRUTH and as you already know -IMO-. Some of the review products are free review samples sent to me while some of the others are purchased by me. Always feel free to ask any questions.

I compare and put the values for each category which is specifically evaluated (calculated) values for that "CATEGORY". So please do not attempt to compare an IEM category with full sized HP's.

Each ranking on frequency ranges are equated values of the each fq response and its technicalities. All these values should be taken as IMO.

Thanks for your visit and valuable contributions!
normal_smile .gif

Brainwavz S5 Graph:

Click to see it larger:

Note: 5 is neutral level for discrete category

Summary:
If you need an iem which is suitable for diverse kinds of music but especially suitable for pop, rock, hard rock, heavy metal genres, if you like sound with good amount of emphasize on the bass and sub-bass but don’t want to sacrifice on highs and clarity, if you like warm signature and wide sound-stage in an iem which has above average isolation and very minor microphonics; if you're looking for a durable allarounder iem on the go then Brainwavz S5 is for you.

Box front view. Excellent quality packing makes the buyer feel that a good quality item is inside.
And that's the true fact...

Box side view (note the guarantee for 24 months!).

Box back view (all the info you need to know is here).

Inside of the flip cover of the box.

Brainwavz thought all the details: Hologramic Brainwavz logo stickers secures the box and also shows that the product is genuine.
Because of the special stickers you can be sure that you're the first person to open the box.

Good looking and also comfortable iems served inside a nice zippered bag.

All the included accessories are here. Genuine Comply Foam Ear-Tips, a very good quality gold plated
3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter, ear-tip full of nylon bag and silica gel for moisture absorption. Never throw
those silica gel bags. Always carry them inside your iem/hp cases for removing the unwanted
moisture from your iem/hp's after extended use. Accessories are nearly the same for S5 and S1.
Only the included 3.5mm to 6.5mm adapter is different. An airplane adapter was included inside my S1 package (instead of 3.5-6.5mm adapter).

Exposing the included ear-tips. The grey ones worked best for me.

Genres Good for Listening with:
Pop, Rock, Hard Rock, Heavy Metal, New Age, Instrumental, Vocal, Chill-out, Ambient,etc. Broad ranges of genres are suitable with this iem (written in order of preference).

Suitable to Use for:
General listening; suitable for noisy environments like bus, train, airplane; can be used while walking or daily works; not very advisable for sports, not suitable for water sports. 

Iem native wearing position:
Native wearing position is cable-up (cable over the ears). Can be worn cable down as well.

Fit and Comfort:
Easy to fit over the ears (cable up) position. It can be worn cable-down position but I prefer over the ears because of the less microphonics and more secure fitting. Chin slider is a good idea on a flat cable. It makes the fitting more secure. S5 is very comfortable once fitted over the ears. Better than the previous model (S1). Also can go slightly deeper than the S1 because of the front housing shape. Doesn't cause any problems when listened for a long time in this position. Flat cable doesn't rub your ears and it really has very less microphonics. It's weight always trying to pull the iem. Thanks to over the ear design, iem doesn't fall out easily because of cable weight. So not a very big issue here. I prefer round and lighter cable YMMW.

Isolation:
S5 provides above average isolation. It will not completely block the outside noise. There is a vent hole on the inner side of the iem. S5 is definitely more isolating iem compared to its predecessor the S1.

Impressive Y splitter with chinch slider. Although bulky and slightly heavy looks very good.

Easy to fit iems because of the improved shape over the S1, please note the vent on the underneath.
My left earpiece driver makes some crackling sound while pushing in the ear-canal, but this doesn't cause any problems once fitted.
Because of the vent hole isolation is not superb but well above average. Better than the previous model (S1).

Source-IEM Matches/Mismatches:
S5 is rated at 16 ohm. Because of this it can be played even from a weak source like a cell phone. S5 can be played through diverse kinds of sources very well. It is a general usage iem in my book. So no worries here...

Brain and Driver Burn-in Period:
It needs at least 60 hours of burn-in for the biggest settlement. Will completely settle after 200+ hours. At first listen I found it to be very linear with a lesser bass. Also soundstage and especially imaging were off. I couldn't say it was accurate.  I have 200+ hours of burn-in and now the bass is more pronounced, still bleeds into the mids slightly but have enough energy for a bass lover. Also soundstage opened up slightly and imaging is much better now. This iem needs more burn-in time compared to S1.

Quality and Durability:
Aluminum housing seems excellent in quality and also very durable. All the cable relief strains are nice and seems to protect the cables on the joint points. Included accessories is more than sufficient and packaging is very good. "Comply" tip is not a knock-off one, it's the real Comply and it sits inside its original/sealed bag. Also the other ear-tips provided inside the pack by Brainwavz are secured inside a special nylon bag. Everything brought me the feeling that Brainwavz is valuing its customers! Zippered case is handy and very good in quality.

Whom should avoid Brainwavz S5:
Analytical sound lovers, who doesn't like 2nd-3rd row presentation, who hates flat and over the ear cables, who prefers a really light iem (including cables); should avoid S5.

Value for Money:
It has good value for money score but you can switch to say RE400 if you need more clarity and less bass on the similar price range. S5 is definitely an upgrade over the S1 (sound-wise, isolation wise and comfort-wise).

Although it is better controlled now -midbass still bleeds slightly into the mids- like the predecessor S1. Its big sound-stage is appealing like the predecessor S1 iem. General sound quality is very very good. Is it worth to pay 30-40 USD over the S1 and get these? IMO definitely. They are an upgrade. Less midbass bloat and bleed, better highs definition and slightly better clarity makes them a better purchase. Also S5 have 24 months guarantee compared to 12 months guarantee of S1. So one have to think all these factors before purchase.

Love Factor:
This term is new in head-fi (I prefer to use it). "Love factor" is very "personal taste" dependent and one should take care of this factor as a grain of salt (but if you ask me it's one of the most important factor). This factor summarizes my liking of sound quality, fit-comfort, durability,  isolation, microphonics, aesthetics, etc. My love factor is on the above-average level for the S5 (check the graph).

Shape is well thought of. No harmful (sharp) edges. More easy and comfortable to wear than previous model (S1).
All metal housing feels slightly heavy but very durable. It has a glossy paint. You can see the R (right) marking on the
cable strain reliefs. All the strain reliefs are well thought.

Straight 3.5mm gold plated jack. feels good quality.

Sum-up:
I think S5 is a very good iem which have potential to satisfy many customers. It's material (or build) quality and accessories definitely  deserves the asking price. Anyone who likes a bassy signature (without sacrificing the highs) with a very good soundstage and above average isolation can definitely go for these.

Availability: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-s5-iem-earphones

Guarantee: Yes, provided by Brainwavz, 24 months. I always appreciate the guarantee on the audio equipments. So big applause for Brainwavz here!!!

Specs:

1. Drivers Dynamic, 10mm
  2. Rated Impedance 16 Ω
  3. Frequency Range 18Hz ˜ 24kHz
  4. Sensitivity 110 dB @ 1 mW
  5. Distortion: <= 0.3% @ 110dB
  6. Max Input Power 40 mW
  7. Cable 1.3m, Y-Cord OFC Copper
  8. Plug 3.5mm Gold Plated straight
  9. Fitting Over Ear Style

Contents & Accessories:

1. Foam Tips Comply S-Series (x1)
  2. Silicone Tips Standard S,M,L (x6)
  3. Silicone Tips Bi-Flange (x1)
  4. Silicone Tips Tri-Flange (x1)
  5. 3.5mm to 6.5mm jack adapter x1
  6. Hard Casex1
  7. Manualx1

Detachable Cables: No

Microphone: No

Acknowledgements:
Thanks for Audrey (Brainwavz Relationship Manager) for sending me a review sample.

Notes:
1- Most of the terminology used in this review is depending on this excellent write-up by multiple headfiers: http://www.head-fi.org/a/describing-sound-a-glossary

2- Specifications and/or color of the equipments covered by this review may change in the future by the producer. And these changes may not be reflected inside the review in the future (although I prefer to update).
3- The bar-graph review technique is a new one and its my way to show readers to understand an equipment at first look. It’s easier to understand IMO rather than reading dozens of pages. But I also advise any reader to look for the other reviewers pages and other contributors ideas. There is no single way to reach the truth.
4- The values in the graphs may change “slightly” over time. This is because my equipment collection is growing and comparative evaluations will always be in the process (even after review). So please feel free to come back and check the graph in the future (for example 2 months later). But usually these values are created after extensive burn-in and listening/comparing periods. So will mostly be stable.

Baycode's Upcoming Reviews (in the graph sytle): 
Please subscribe to newsfeed page.

Sep 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #3 of 8
  Another nice review from Baycode. Always look forward to those graphs. BTW, I think you meant to write S5 in the sum-up where you wrote S1.

Thanks for the support and notifying @ZapX629 
beerchug.gif
  (Edit: corrected)

Sep 24, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #4 of 8
u are a REVIEW machine...great read.
..and those pics are v well taken.  

Sep 24, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 8
Oct 10, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #6 of 8
hi..i subscribe to mail from mp4nation.net. they sent me a mail regarding weekend offers..   $30 Off Brainwavz S5 Earphones Coupon code: LKJ3HFS URL: http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-s5-iem-earphones     these are Limited Coupon Deals.. hurry if anybody wants to buy...

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:26 PM Post #8 of 8
awaiting your multichart report  :p 
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif
popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back