Brainwavz R1 Review
Nov 23, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #556 of 794
You're slightly confusing the naming. Sony Hybrid tips are the stock sony silicone tips - they are single-flange tips with the core colored depending on the size of the tip. The sony mh1'c tips are a slightly different version of the sony hybrids - you might call them improved sony hybrids. The hybrid clones are all those silicone flange tips that are made smilar in form and size as the sony hybrids and also have the colored cores for the different sizes. I'm too tired to do tip rolling again for more extensive impressions on the sound differences of different tips but the R1's stock single-flange deffinitely have more bass presence than the mh1c's tips due to the thicker silicone used and than the bi-flanges due to the smaller bore.

Nov 23, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #557 of 794
You're slightly confusing the naming. Sony Hybrid tips are the stock sony silicone tips - they are single-flange tips with the core colored depending on the size of the tip. The sony mh1'c tips are a slightly different version of the sony hybrids - you might call them improved sony hybrids.

Ok. My xba3's came with two sets of tips:
1) single flange silicone tips with colored cores
2) single flange silicone tips with colored cores and foam embedded

I thought that (2) was what were considered to be "hybrids". I didn't realize that (1) were also considered hybrids.

I'm too tired to do tip rolling again for more extensive impressions on the sound differences of different tips but the R1's stock single-flange deffinitely have more bass presence than the mh1c's tips due to the thicker silicone used

I tried them both again, and to me the mh1c's tips have much more bass presence (and a fuller sound imo). So you have confirmed it - I'm certified nuts lol!

Nov 23, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #559 of 794
Quote:
Ok. My xba3's came with two sets of tips:
1) single flange silicone tips with colored cores
2) single flange silicone tips with colored cores and foam embedded
I thought that (2) was what were considered to be "hybrids". I didn't realize that (1) were also considered hybrids.
I tried them both again, and to me the mh1c's tips have much more bass presence (and a fuller sound imo). So you have confirmed it - I'm certified nuts lol!

1) is the sony hybrids and 2) is hybrids with foam. Apparently Sony didn't call them hybrids because of the foam. That's why usually when people put foam in normal tips they call them "tip mods" or something in that line. One reason you may get more bass with the mh1c's tips is that the stock tips don't give you good enough seal - did you try all the sizes because the stock medium size tips didn't give me the seal the biggest R1 tips give me while the mh1'c second smallest tips (around the size of the medium R1 single-flanges) give me a good seal. Anyway, I'll be doing more tip rolling this weekend as I'm burning in the R1 for around 80 hours now and the sound has changed quite a bit. You won't see me say this often as lately I haven't heard any iems that really changed after burn-in, especially the gr07 that many said needed a lot of burning - but the R1 is really changing and it seems it really needs all the hours.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:36 PM Post #560 of 794
Quote:
1) is the sony hybrids and 2) is hybrids with foam. Apparently Sony didn't call them hybrids because of the foam. That's why usually when people put foam in normal tips they call them "tip mods" or something in that line. One reason you may get more bass with the mh1c's tips is that the stock tips don't give you good enough seal - did you try all the sizes because the stock medium size tips didn't give me the seal the biggest R1 tips give me while the mh1'c second smallest tips (around the size of the medium R1 single-flanges) give me a good seal. Anyway, I'll be doing more tip rolling this weekend as I'm burning in the R1 for around 80 hours now and the sound has changed quite a bit. You won't see me say this often as lately I haven't heard any iems that really changed after burn-in, especially the gr07 that many said needed a lot of burning - but the R1 is really changing and it seems it really needs all the hours.

Burn in is a biggie with the R1's. I've probably had these the longest at this point, and I've done more than just test them and put them away---quite the opposite really. I've got over 800 hours at this point, and can say without any hesitation that burn in changes these....a lot. This may be a good or a bad thing depending on just when they sound great to you....that could change. On the other hand, if your on the fence about the sound, it may improve for you if you continue with the burn in. Eventually,they do settle down, though, and I like where they ended up personally. YMMV, of course, but at least you cant call the R1's boring 
smile.gif

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #561 of 794
Quote:
Burn in is a biggie with the R1's. I've probably had these the longest at this point, and I've done more than just test them and put them away---quite the opposite really. I've got over 800 hours at this point, and can say without any hesitation that burn in changes these....a lot. This may be a good or a bad thing depending on just when they sound great to you....that could change. On the other hand, if your on the fence about the sound, it may improve for you if you continue with the burn in. Eventually,they do settle down, though, and I like where they ended up personally. YMMV, of course, but at least you cant call the R1's boring 
smile.gif

I've used my R1's for about 100 hours now and they don't seem as bassy as they were when I first used them.

Nov 24, 2012 at 6:52 AM Post #565 of 794
Quote:

I can't get them from there :frowning2:

Could anyone be so kind to ship them to me (Europe)? :)

Just take them straight from the mp4nation site instead of their amazon store. The international shipping is free and you can use THANKSR1 coupon code to get them down to $29.50

Nov 28, 2012 at 4:02 AM Post #570 of 794
I'm actually quite surprised by these after the negativity that happened here. Sure, all people hear differently, we like our EQs different, we listen to different music, but really? These are very capable IEMs. I got them to replace some Skullcandy (yeah, I know, they were a present a long while back) Titans which were very unrefined and bloated. These let me hear much more detail in the music - the mids feel a *little* recessed for me (but I love a mid-centric sound for my Rock music), but all that needs is a little boost in EQ, imo. I let these burn in for a while before trying them and I let them burn in whenever I can. The bass is very present, but I don't find it overly boomy or anything. They seem to be taming in the treble and bass regions as they get more play, too.

I didn't buy these based on reviews - I bought them based on the fact that I was making a small order from Mp4Nation anyway, they were a good price, dual dynamic driver (which I hadn't tried before) and because I needed some new IEMs to go jogging with. When I saw the complaints on this thread, I was certainly a little concerned about my choice. I think people kind of have to put it in perspective. I can understand being super disappointed because of expensive headphones and IEMs not sounding the way you would have liked, but this? Come on, just EQ it to fit your tastes more. They're capable IEMs, so they can take to EQ adjustments quite well. 

I must say the fit has been a bit of a problem for me. My right ear just does not like anything but the comply tips. I've tried different sizes, put in earplug foam to create some sort of "hybrid" tips, but it doesn't work well for me. I love the comply tips, sure, I even appreciate that they take a bit of edge off of the treble (I'm sensitive to it), but they're just so darn expensive to keep replacing. I'm considering some Shure olives, but I've never used them before and kind of worry that they're not as comfortable and squishy as the comply tips.

I would personally highly recommend these, I think they sound great and are decently made for the price. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back