Brainwavz' new portable headphone amplifier: AP001
Nov 1, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #77 of 308
 its clearly is not a bass monster of any kind , it has boosted bass but its pleasing , works really nice with my doppios and S5 sounds like a rha-ma750 with better mids highs .
and its not fur purists at all , it will spoil your flat response with bass and mids .

Totally agree with H2O , its fun , and will do good for couples and friends who are together most of the times .

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:38 AM Post #78 of 308
The beauty using AP001 with Rockbox Sansa units is you have full control over the bass anyway from Rockbox sound settings.

Knock some off, add some more, cook your own cake.

Nov 1, 2014 at 5:51 AM Post #79 of 308
Can't wait for mine to come. Should be interesting to see what a budget amp can do nowadays. 

I'll post a mini review and a comparison to the SAP. 

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #80 of 308
  The beauty using AP001 with Rockbox Sansa units is you have full control over the bass anyway from Rockbox sound settings.

Knock some off, add some more, cook your own cake.

Yeah as if its damn easy thing to do in first place...................

Nov 1, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #81 of 308
Sardar, if the full EQ with rockbox is giving you problems, use the simple one from sound settings simply called 'bass' 'treble', knock the bass up that way with a few clicks. =)

Nov 1, 2014 at 7:18 AM Post #82 of 308
U know it more than me those are totally useless,lol.

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #83 of 308
It's great synergy with Havi for those who:

1) Want a little more bass
2) Use a lower tier source (especially pointing towards the Sansa units)
3) Have a friend who wants to listen at the same time.

For example, I posted AP001 pictures on another social media site, there's comments with people tagging their friends saying "wow finally we can listen together now perfect" and other comments along those lines. AP001 is something that can be used in many ways especially considering Its an active splitter so power isn't a problem. I do agree it will pair well with bass light or neutral low ends, but...  then you have the mass appeal to bass-heads who want to take that experience with warm IEM far as they can.

The community isn't always about the lust for a flat response, especially mainstream crowd where lot's of potential sales are for this product. We have "the bass head thread" where I imagine AP001 would do quite well, so it's really a tit for tat scenario on what you're looking for in your sound.

I remember a time early on when all I wanted to do here was achieve car sub-woofer bass levels on the go, (crazy as that sounds) I wish AP001 was around then to pair with Hippo VB. But to keep things into perspective, I don't think we've seen one comment where someone has said " DAM DAT BASS" " TOO MUCH" etc so until you hear the boost implemented into the amp it's hard to grasp the qaunitiy we're talking about in words on a screen.

Wondering it just only one IEM B3 that, has synergy to this amp?.....out of your collections. Sry Im bad in guessing......or its like, you just tested with just B3 so far and still will pour more about pairing with the other ones as well....in the coming days.guessed right,this time? :D

And about those 3 points you posted I wld like to comment on those lines so dont think too much about it and no offense either.....:wink:

1) like I said above its more to just B3,so why in the god's name I shd buy this toy if I dont have a B3- this, runs in everyone's mind,incl me.
2) I have sansa player and it just do the justice to me,being RB'ed,I shape the sound for what IEMs I have.so need to spend extra on this.
3) Theres a 2 way 3.5mm splitter gettable for $0.85 for two people to enjoy the same sound and 5 way splitter for just under $4!so last sentence from pt.2.

And I agree, with free delta being tagged along as fre and free WW shipping,its sure not a bad deal....

Nov 1, 2014 at 8:47 AM Post #84 of 308
Wondering it just only one IEM B3 that, has synergy to this amp?.....out of your collections. Sry Im bad in guessing......or its like, you just tested with just B3 so far and still will pour more about pairing with the other ones as well....in the coming days.guessed right,this time?
biggrin.gif

And about those 3 points you posted I wld like to comment on those lines so dont think too much about it and no offense either.....
wink.gif

1) like I said above its more to just B3,so why in the god's name I shd buy this toy if I dont have a B3- this, runs in everyone's mind,incl me.
2) I have sansa player and it just do the justice to me,being RB'ed,I shape the sound for what IEMs I have.so need to spend extra on this.
3) Theres a 2 way 3.5mm splitter gettable for $0.85 for two people to enjoy the same sound and 5 way splitter for just under $4!so last sentence from pt.2.

And I agree, with free delta being tagged along as fre and free WW shipping,its sure not a bad deal....

1) I didn't know the amp revolved around only my impressions with Havi? Maybe it's because we're waiting for others to comment on their thoughts? But of course I've tested the unit with S0 too. Given the small amount time I've had the amp I'm sure there's more to come. A full review maybe?

2) Maybe you should hear the the difference AP001 makes personally before coming to such a conclusion Shawn, it's quite premature to simply assume "oh I have Rockbox I can replicate what  AP001 does to the sound". Unfortunately, easy you make it sound I don't see how that's possible, especially from an output power perspective

3) Your 2 way splitter can be purchased for $1 on eBay, but is it an active splitter which provides sufficient power to both outputs? That's the different my friend, AP001 is actually an active splitter with power supply, not just a bunch a soldered connections leading to two jacks. Depending on the DAP's internal amp section, which from my experience doesn't do those 'cheap' splitters any real justice at all and in most cases leads to early distortion

The way I see it without actual hands on experience with the device you're walking up a dark road with only assumptions in hand, this is where I say having experience with a a device/product answers many of your questions, not only that allows one to have "their say" 100% about a product. The proof is in the pudding so to speak otherwise you just walk blind.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #85 of 308

It's great synergy with Havi for those who:

1) Want a little more bass
2) Use a lower tier source (especially pointing towards the Sansa units)
3) Have a friend who wants to listen at the same time.

For example, I posted AP001 pictures on another social media site, there's comments with people tagging their friends saying "wow finally we can listen together now perfect" and other comments along those lines. AP001 is something that can be used in many ways especially considering Its an active splitter so power isn't a problem. I do agree it will pair well with bass light or neutral low ends, but...  then you have the mass appeal to bass-heads who want to take that experience with warm IEM far as they can.

The community isn't always about the lust for a flat response, especially mainstream crowd where lot's of potential sales are for this product. We have "the bass head thread" where I imagine AP001 would do quite well, so it's really a tit for tat scenario on what you're looking for in your sound.

I remember a time early on when all I wanted to do here was achieve car sub-woofer bass levels on the go, (crazy as that sounds) I wish AP001 was around then to pair with Hippo VB. But to keep things into perspective, I don't think we've seen one comment where someone has said " DAM DAT BASS" " TOO MUCH" etc so until you hear the boost implemented into the amp it's hard to grasp the qaunitiy we're talking about in words on a screen.

Well said Uncle H20, well said.

Head-Fi users seem to get all mired up in the graphs and the numbers game way too much sometimes and forget there is a consumer market place out there where people think that spending $100 on headphones is just crazy. This little amp has a perfect place in that community which is the majority by the way, I won't tell you how many Sony MDR-ZX100's I see on a daily basis...

The Brainwavz amp seems to be very similar to the Boostaroo Revolution unit I have just with a different and no doubt much better implementation.

Dual headphone jacks on the side of the Boostaroo Revoluiton.

Nov 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #86 of 308
I don't know about you guys, I've decided to lose the short interconnect provided. I'm sure it's fine for bolting the unit to your DAP.

I've decided to use a 1 meter 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. This way I just leave AP001 'hanging around' off the cable somewhere.

Drag it along up the street behind me... (joking)

Get them for a couple of dollars.

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #87 of 308
1) I didn't know the amp revolved around only impressions with Havi? Maybe it's because we're waiting for the others to comment on their thoughts? But of course I've tested the unit with S0 too. Given the small amount time I've had the amp I'm sure there's more to come. A full review maybe?

2) Maybe you should hear the the difference AP001 makes personally before coming to such a conclusion Shawn, it's quite premature to simply assume "oh I have Rockbox I can replicate what  AP001 does to the sound". Unfortunately, easy you make it sound, I don't see how that possible, especially from a output power perspective

3) Your 2 way splitter  can be purchased for $1 on eBay, but is it an active splitter which provides sufficient power to both outputs? That's the different my friend AP001 is actually an active spilter with power supply, not just a bunch a soldered connections leading to a two jacks. Depending on the DAP's internal amp section, which from my experience doesn't do those 'cheap' splitters any real justice at all and in most cases leads to early distortion

The way I see it without actual hands on experience with the device you're walking up a dark road with only assumptions in hand, this where I say having experience in a device/product answers many of your your questions, not only that allows one to have "their say" 100% about a product. The proof is in the pudding so to speak otherwise you just walk blind.

Yep Im just gonna give a shot for sure and judge self fwiw,(free delta IEM :tonguesmile: as I like the brand just like fiio,vsonic etc for their gears and Im not debating any either....but I just commented for your B3 biased and sharing the splitter(oh yeah the active splitter)....And I just quoted you nobody else because none ever poured in a specific synergy impression.....yet, if Im not wrong. Looking forward for some other IEMs of some other brands as well....from your inventory,not all,but like Altone,TF10,Dunu etc......NOT a compulsion tho.....
Its good to see if someone who owns now include about difference in battery backup between using just one o/p and both simultaneaously?

And I might order 2 way splitter to pair with my E06,E11 & E12 and see whats the passive splitter does......coz all are just parellely soldered o/ps,theres no 2 amp section to drive 2 o/ps....:wink:

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #88 of 308
I don't know about you guys, I've decided to lose the short interconnect provided. I'm sure it's fine for bolting the unit to your DAP.

I've decided to use a 1 meter 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable. This way I just leave AP001 'hanging around' off the cable somewhere.

Drag it along up the street behind me... (joking)

Get them for a couple of dollars.

That 4 pole jack,you bought it to use with mobile extension? From Penonaudio?....

Nov 1, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #89 of 308
For me it has brought the Clip+ back to useble as long as I don't pair it with IEM's that's already overly bassy. I really couldn't stand the Clip+ but now I can use it while working out again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back