Brainwavz hm5 soundstage?
May 23, 2012 at 9:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Krigare

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, Been looking for what seems like ages for some new headphones, and recently I've just kept coming back to the hm5's

Im a big soundstage guy, but I'm going to need closed headphones since I'm moving in with a new roommate soon.

My budget is around $200, but is flexible, and frankly I can't really find anything with a decent soundstage around that price.

So guys, is the hm5 soundstage decent (for a closed phone)? Or do you guys have better options?

May 24, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 9
The Denon D2000 has wide soundstage and mids, highs are crisp, clear with deep punchy bass(overall very engaging soundsignaturre). Ultrasone Pro900, Philips Fideleo L1 also offers wide soundstage and good soundquality.

May 24, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 9
Yeah I've looked into all of those and they all are _just_ out of my price range, except maybe the d2000s since I can find them used for around $250, but I hear they're a pain to amp, true?

May 24, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #4 of 9
Well, the D2000's aren't even true closed headphones. They leak quite a bit, and don't isolate very well.

Regarding the HM5's soundstage, I thought it was very artificial sounding, but pretty wide nonetheless.

May 24, 2012 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 9
So, if whatever reason I choose to jump my budget ~$100, which I doubt I will, I'd imagine the AKG k550's would be best for what i'm looking for?

But nonetheless, thanks for your answer on the hm5, I'm still looking for other opinions so I dont impulse buy though

May 24, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
So, if whatever reason I choose to jump my budget ~$100, which I doubt I will, I'd imagine the AKG k550's would be best for what i'm looking for?

But nonetheless, thanks for your answer on the hm5, I'm still looking for other opinions so I dont impulse buy though

Yes. The K550 is not only the bet sounding closed headphone I've heard, but also has the largest soundstage for a closed headphone.

There are lots of great options out there if you aren't specifically looking for soundstage; since most closed headphones can't pull it off that well.

May 24, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 9
Yeah I know, I'm still deciding on what I want entirely, making compromises and the likes, I've always just been a soundstage fiend and I feel like my next upgrade should act accordingly.

May 24, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 9
I wouldn't recommend the HM5 for what you're looking for. It's soundstage has this weird shape to it where anything that's panned in the center sounds farther away, while things that are panned to the left or right are closer. Kind of like a "v" shape around your head where you are looking down into the point of the "v." At first this used to give me an illusion of depth, but I've since realized that it's just kind of odd. People say that the HM5 has a good soundstage for a closed headphone. If that's true, then the Philips Uptown have a great soundstage. I like them much better anyways. It's at least as wide as the HM5, it spreads out evenly from left to right instead of imposing a weird shape on everything, and it communicates real depth and layers better. Imaging is also a lot better. Even if it sounds a little crazy to say, it reminds me of the imaging of the ATH-AD2000 a lot.

May 24, 2012 at 2:22 AM Post #9 of 9
Hmm, I thought about the uptowns earlier, but since they are so new on the market I'm relatively hesitant about them.

Honestly I think I might just jump up $100 for the k550s, I honestly dont see a reason not to, they seem like the perfect headphone to me, not to mention they're very easy to drive so I wont have to shell out extra money for a nice amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back