Brainwavz HM100 and Alara announced
Jan 7, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #47 of 107
Nice reviews. Does Brainwavz have optional snap in all pleather / leather pads to use in place of the hybrid (that I imagine will have more bass, and smoother highs)?

At this time we only are supplying the hybrid earpads. Down the road we will probably start making other types of earpads for the Alara.

Jan 8, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #48 of 107
At this time we only are supplying the hybrid earpads. Down the road we will probably start making other types of earpads for the Alara.
As your planars are based on or similar (with some changes) to ($200 more expensive) Quad ERA-1 planars, I see they have a leather options for theirs (see below). It looks like the ear pad opening is indeed larger. My experience with the Shure SHR-1540 going from the smaller opening, and softer material Alcantara stock pads to NVX ComfortMax Standard (non-angled) (which are superior to Brainwavz pads they're based on) is they'd smoothed off the high end peaks that bothered me, greatly improved fit, comfort, ear space and soundstage. I imagine that could work with these.

181231-Quad-ERA-1-2018.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #51 of 107
My review is up.

Thanks for your review and comments. We are working on more earpads for the Alara, along with a quick hack to allow the current earpads we sell to attach to the Alara.

PC Mag has published their review and a Editor Choice recommendation.

“Bottom Line: The planar magnetic Brainwavz Alara headphones deliver detail, excellent bass depth, and a magical spatial feel, making them well worth their high price.”

https://www.pcmag.com/review/366197/brainwavz-alara

Also here is a very, very, very early stage prototype for our next planar project, overall design will be different when released to what's pictured. 80mm planar drivers, full size headphones.

IMG_20190129_163741_549.jpg

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #52 of 107
Thanks for your review and comments. We are working on more earpads for the Alara, along with a quick hack to allow the current earpads we sell to attach to the Alara.

PC Mag has published their review and a Editor Choice recommendation.

“Bottom Line: The planar magnetic Brainwavz Alara headphones deliver detail, excellent bass depth, and a magical spatial feel, making them well worth their high price.”

https://www.pcmag.com/review/366197/brainwavz-alara

Also here is a very, very, very early stage prototype for our next planar project, overall design will be different when released to what's pictured. 80mm planar drivers, full size headphones.

Rough price guide @razzer001?

Jan 30, 2019 at 5:45 AM Post #53 of 107
I've ordered the Alara, will share my thoughts with you guys when they arrive :)

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #55 of 107
Rough price guide @razzer001?

If you are referring to the prototype I posted, there is no pricing info I want to publish publically, way too early at this stage.

If you mean the Alara, well now, check our website, it just happens to be our Lunar new year sale :wink:

I've ordered the Alara, will share my thoughts with you guys when they arrive :)

Thanks for buying, I hope you enjoy our Alara :)

Jan 30, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #56 of 107
If you are referring to the prototype I posted, there is no pricing info I want to publish publically, way too early at this stage.

If you mean the Alara, well now, check our website, it just happens to be our Lunar new year sale :wink:

No worries @razzer001, yes, I meant the prototype. You've managed to bring a decent pair of headphones to the 500-1000 dollar price range, I wonder where you'll be targeting your next headphone!

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #57 of 107

How long will the lunar new year sale last? edit also already bought them im just curious if i could of waited or not. will post my opinion on them once i have them.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #59 of 107
I've just ordered a pair and will compare them with the Quad ERA-1. Including swapping the angled leather pads, assuming they are compatible. Will see.

Feb 4, 2019 at 10:01 PM Post #60 of 107
I ordered a pair of Alara Headphones directly from Brainwavz. They were supposed to ship last Tuesday. They still have not shipped. I have sent them multiple emails. They said they lost my address or something to that effect - very difficult to understand them. They then said they would ship them but have not. They received payment but they have some severe internal shipping dept problems. I asked them if I should cancel my order. No responses except that they will ship them - but they do not actually ship them. I guess I need to contact my credit card company and cancel. Too bad this company is so screwed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back