Brainwavz HM100 and Alara announced
Dec 1, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #31 of 107
Dec 4, 2018 at 12:38 AM Post #32 of 107
Is the Alara also an OEM rebrand or is it in-house?

Edit: Looks like they are also a Yogada rebrand

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #33 of 107
Is the Alara also an OEM rebrand or is it in-house?

Edit: Looks like they are also a Yogada rebrand

Like most of everything of ours, they are all tuned to our liking (or rather my liking) :wink:

The Alara looks bloody nice, looks rugged AF! Headfonics.com have a first impressions over there.

https://headfonics.com/2018/11/brainwavz-alara-first-contact/

Product info:

https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/collections/headphones/products/alara-planar-magnetic-headphones

They look even better in person and have a solid build, not to mention sound good too :)

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:30 AM Post #34 of 107
@razzer001 - My compliments mate, she's a beauty! Were you guys looking at Planar-mag for a while? Great colour choice, very understated and looks comfortable as heck!

Will this be a limited run or are you going to be adding this permanently for the foreseeable future?

Also what is the size of the diaphragm?

Dec 16, 2018 at 4:56 AM Post #35 of 107
Dec 17, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #36 of 107
The Alaras arrived last night. They sound pretty good out of the box. I've been listening with them through an Audio-gd R2R-11, which is a very pleasant match.

Dec 18, 2018 at 12:37 AM Post #37 of 107
The Alaras arrived last night. They sound pretty good out of the box. I've been listening with them through an Audio-gd R2R-11, which is a very pleasant match.
Looking foward to your thoughts @Currawong, how's the build quality? Interesting planar-mag/price-entry by Brainwaz hopefully it can break a few rules!

Dec 19, 2018 at 1:01 AM Post #38 of 107
Looking foward to your thoughts @Currawong, how's the build quality? Interesting planar-mag/price-entry by Brainwaz hopefully it can break a few rules!

Good. My only worry is that the yokes are plastic and I'm not sure how strong they are.

Dec 29, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #39 of 107
I just received the Alara and I haven't had much time with them - only a few hours. In fact, I'm listening out of a laptop directly rather than my high end rig so I wouldn't put too much stock in what I have to say. That said, I thought people might like to see something and I doubt the burn-in will result in a significant shift, though I suppose it could.

Overall, the sound is neutral. I think there is a very slight elevation to the midbass that is pleasant and creates a firm foundation, but it is not excessive and does not bleed into the midrange. The midrange may be slightly forward, but again, I emphasize slight. It's natural and cohesive with the rest of the frequencies. The headphone has reasonably good impact and I would say clarity is very good. I do sense, overall, a slightly warm sound, but this could be the laptop. You'll notice I say slight many times - overall, i think the headphone is largely neutral. Treble is reasonable to my liking, but not sparkly. I would say the headphone's sound is not ethereal or airy - not that it is lacking air ...well maybe a little; it possesses a thick, meaty sound but it is not overly warm or overly thick. If I were looking for a change, I would probably prefer more separation and a little more sharpness and clarity, especially in the upper midrange to treble frequencies - I think this would add a touch more air and separation of instruments.

I appreciate the inclusion of spare pads, so I will certainly not knock them for being the same, but it would have been nice if the spare pads were all leather or a material that alters the sound from the stock pads. The spare pads are identical to the stock pads (surface touching face is not leather, but very soft and nice).

I have experience listening to many of the popular flagships and so the fact that I am pleased with these headphones speaks volumes. Incidentally, I purchased these on my own and my opinion is not influenced by outside forces.

Thus far, I have listened to symphonic metal, rock, and easy listening genres, and some jazz. Seems to be pretty good thus far across genres. More time will tell. To summarize, I might like just a bit more clarity and separation of instruments / air, but these are minor gripes for a headphone considerably cheaper than other flagships. Plus, I tend to prefer neutral to slightly bright rather than neutral to slightly warm. I often find my main system clearer and brighter than the laptop so if I hear differences that invalidate anything I said when switching to may main system tomorrow, I'll update this post.

oh - almost forgot - two more things. I am sensitive to left/right channel imbalances. Fortunately, the channels seem very balanced on my unit. No funny business going on in the sound, so that is good. And last, the headphone seems well built, but I do feel the sliding mechanism was a little loosey-goosey when adjusting the fit of the cups over my ears. To be clear, they stay in place thus far, but the movement was not quite as smooth or deliberate between indentations as I would have liked - small deal, really.

Update - as suspected it does scale up. improved clarity and less warm on better system, but traits described above still apply. this headphone reminds me of the quad era-1, without the bloom and romanticism in the midrange. That's a good thing in my book. At the same time I would say the Alara has a vibrant and somewhat bombastic sound when called for. Also, these headphones do piano exceptionally well....some of the best I have heard. I like how they do trumpets too. In comparison to the Final Audio D8000 similar in some ways though the Alara is not quite as musically engaging or as immersive to me.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 7:33 AM Post #40 of 107
I just received the Alara and I haven't had much time with them - only a few hours. In fact, I'm listening out of a laptop directly rather than my high end rig so I wouldn't put too much stock in what I have to say. That said, I thought people might like to see something and I doubt the burn-in will result in a significant shift, though I suppose it could.

Overall, the sound is neutral. I think there is a very slight elevation to the midbass that is pleasant and creates a firm foundation, but it is not excessive and does not bleed into the midrange. The midrange may be slightly forward, but again, I emphasize slight. It's natural and cohesive with the rest of the frequencies. The headphone has reasonably good impact and I would say clarity is very good. I do sense, overall, a slightly warm sound, but this could be the laptop. You'll notice I say slight many times - overall, i think the headphone is largely neutral. Treble is reasonable to my liking, but not sparkly. I would say the headphone's sound is not ethereal or airy - not that it is lacking air ...well maybe a little; it possesses a thick, meaty sound but it is not overly warm or overly thick. If I were looking for a change, I would probably prefer more separation and a little more sharpness and clarity, especially in the upper midrange to treble frequencies - I think this would add a touch more air and separation of instruments.

I appreciate the inclusion of spare pads, so I will certainly not knock them for being the same, but it would have been nice if the spare pads were all leather or a material that alters the sound from the stock pads. The spare pads are identical to the stock pads (surface touching face is not leather, but very soft and nice).

I have experience listening to many of the popular flagships and so the fact that I am pleased with these headphones speaks volumes. Incidentally, I purchased these on my own and my opinion is not influenced by outside forces.

Thus far, I have listened to symphonic metal, rock, and easy listening genres, and some jazz. Seems to be pretty good thus far across genres. More time will tell. To summarize, I might like just a bit more clarity and separation of instruments / air, but these are minor gripes for a headphone considerably cheaper than other flagships. Plus, I tend to prefer neutral to slightly bright rather than neutral to slightly warm. I often find my main system clearer and brighter than the laptop so if I hear differences that invalidate anything I said when switching to may main system tomorrow, I'll update this post.

oh - almost forgot - two more things. I am sensitive to left/right channel imbalances. Fortunately, the channels seem very balanced on my unit. No funny business going on in the sound, so that is good. And last, the headphone seems well built, but I do feel the sliding mechanism was a little loosey-goosey when adjusting the fit of the cups over my ears. To be clear, they stay in place thus far, but the movement was not quite as smooth or deliberate between indentations as I would have liked - small deal, really.

Update - as suspected it does scale up. improved clarity and less warm on better system, but traits described above still apply. this headphone reminds me of the quad era-1, without the bloom and romanticism in the midrange. That's a good thing in my book. At the same time I would say the Alara has a vibrant and somewhat bombastic sound when called for. Also, these headphones do piano exceptionally well....some of the best I have heard. I like how they do trumpets too. In comparison to the Final Audio D8000 similar in some ways though the Alara is not quite as musically engaging or as immersive to me.
Sounds interesting, thanks for the impressions.

Jan 6, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #41 of 107
Jan 6, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #42 of 107
@Brooko - Good read mate and a well laid-out review as usual! The Alara certainly caught my eye and it's sound signature seems to be up my alley!

Jan 6, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #43 of 107
@Brooko - thanks for those two excellent reviews. You mentioned you have an Audeze Mobius. Will you be doing a review of it? Thanks again for all the work you put into your reviews.

How would you compare the Alara against the Mobius?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2019 at 2:49 PM Post #44 of 107
@Brooko - thanks for those two excellent reviews. You mentioned you have an Audeze Mobius. Will you be doing a review of it? Thanks again for all the work you put into your reviews.

How would you compare the Alara against the Mobius?
At some stage - yes. I have a lot of other reviews I have to get out first though.

Alara is more neutral and would be my preference for listening to music. The Mobius can be slightly peaky - but it’s real strengths are the DSP and in gaming. I do use the Mobius for music too and thoroughly enjoy it. But I always leave the 3D on. That’s where it’s strength lies (IMO).

Jan 6, 2019 at 2:53 PM Post #45 of 107
At some stage - yes. I have a lot of other reviews I have to get out first though.

Alara is more neutral and would be my preference for listening to music. The Mobius can be slightly peaky - but it’s real strengths are the DSP and in gaming. I do use the Mobius for music too and thoroughly enjoy it. But I always leave the 3D on. That’s where it’s strength lies (IMO).
Thanks for the reply. Agree with you on leaving 3D on. The Mobius has so many variations of settings it takes a long time to settle in on which ones work for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back