Brainwavz Delta IEM's: new low cost champs!
Sep 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 452

dragon2knight

Account disabled by request.
I have had a pre release set of the new Brainwavz Delta IEM's for around two weeks now, putting over 100 hours on them in an effort to put up a thorough review of these under $20.00 bargains. mp4nation.net has put a lot of effort into making sure that these are a few steps above the norm you get at this price point, and I honestly believe they succeeded. 

For starters the build quality is really good, with thick, rubberized OFC cables used. Also stress relief is present and accounted for in all the right places, something most brands dispense with at this price level. The main housings are made of sturdy aluminum, and they have a nice, non generic look to them as well with a subtle red coloring used for accents. All told, they look far more expensive than they are, a feat that's not too easy to achieve. They even include three sets of hybrid silicone tips and a set of Comply S400 tips...really nice!

The sound signature is the real surprise here, with a spacious open feel, with emphasis on the mids and high end replacing the usual boomy all encompassing low end used by way too many in this price class. That's not to say that the low end is not there, it's just not as prominent as the rest of the signature. Voice and guitars/strings soar here, with very good clarity and a full soundstage that quite honestly surprised me when first trying these out. The sound only opened up more as time went on, peaking for me at around 80 or so hours. To address the slightly lesser low end I simply adjusted the EQ on my trusty Rockboxed Sansa Clip+ and got the signature to even out effortlessly. The Delta's have the best sound quality of any sub $20.00 IEM I've ever used. 

As for problems I've encountered, only a few stick out to me. The first is that the rubberized cables tend to have a pretty bad memory effect when coiled up for more than a few hours. This at least isn't permanent as just leaving them hanging over a chair stretched out overnight fixed this up. That same material is the reason that they don't tangle up much if at all, so the memory effect is the trade off for that. The second is that the color used for the accents on the rest of the design isn't quite up to the look of the driver housing, being a washed out red instead of a bright, bold one....but this, of course, is a matter of one's taste. Some might not mind it at all. Lastly, the cable length isn't too long, leaving folks who use their pants pocket to hold their phone's/players at a loss. 

Summing up, the Delta's are the nicest surprise I've had in a long while. The build quality and sound signature simply blow away all other budget IEM's I've had recently, from under $10.00 Panasonic's to over $30.00+ Sennheiser's, these are simply better. Better built, better sounding. These need to be on your short list if looking for a budget IEM for taking to the gym, or just to knock around with, you wont be disappointed.  

Here's the link to them on mp4nation's web site(they are currently on pre sale): http://www.mp4nation.net/brainwavz-delta-iem-earphones

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #2 of 452
I got the pre order email from MP4 and was very curious but stop short of pulling the trigger cut just been buying iem non stop... poor wallet since joining head fi. How does this compared with R1 and Sound magic E10 cut both of these are my current go to phones at the moment.... But I do like me some bass....
Thanks

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 452
I got the pre order email from MP4 and was very curious but stop short of pulling the trigger cut just been buying iem non stop... poor wallet since joining head fi. How does this compared with R1 and Sound magic E10 cut both of these are my current go to phones at the moment.... But I do like me some bass....
Thanks

These aren't the most bass heavy.  They have ample response if you aren't a basshead though.

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #4 of 452
Thanks

Well, if your a real bass head, these aren't for you, a more balanced sig is what these are all about. Comparing these to the R1's, I honestly like these better, there's nothing that sounds "bad" here. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 452
  You got a set in? I'm curious as to what you thought of them :)

Yup, got them with my HM9 :wink:  They're just over 22 dollars, for the price, I do feel it's a big steal :wink:  Mine is the preproduction model though. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 1:02 PM Post #8 of 452
I have a review pair coming in so will be adding a review of this as well. I look forward to seeing how balanced these are signature wise.

Sep 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #9 of 452
Most definitely ordering right now. By the way the delta and brainwavz m4...how different are the sound signature? Whats your opinion about the two? I really liked my m4 till it had to retired as the right wire with mic came off! :frowning2: 

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #10 of 452
  Most definitely ordering right now. By the way the delta and brainwavz m4...how different are the sound signature? Whats your opinion about the two? I really liked my m4 till it had to retired as the right wire with mic came off! :frowning2: 

The M4 are v-shaped in comparison.  I don't have the Delta with me right now, nor the M4, to do any full comparison though.  The Delta are less v-shaped though. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #11 of 452

The M4 are v-shaped in comparison.  I don't have the Delta with me right now, nor the M4, to do any full comparison though.  The Delta are less v-shaped though. 

V shaped implies there is a gap in the mid range leaving the high end and low end dominant....there is no gap whatsoever in the Deltas, the bass is the weakness here, the mids and highs are great. M4's were never my favorite of the Brainwavz lineup, many others in the lineup have eclipsed it's performance since their arrival. 

Sep 5, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #12 of 452

V shaped implies there is a gap in the mid range leaving the high end and low end dominant....there is no gap whatsoever in the Deltas, the bass is the weakness here, the mids and highs are great. M4's were never my favorite of the Brainwavz lineup, many others in the lineup have eclipsed it's performance since their arrival. 

Reread that.  I never said the Delta was v-shaped...

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #14 of 452

"The Delta are less v-shaped though"....they are not even less V shaped, they aren't V shaped at all. That was my point. 

The M4 are v-shaped...  The Delta, in comparison will have less of a v-shape.  Simple enough. 

Sep 6, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #15 of 452
Thanks a ton for the infos! I think I will be happy to try out the Deltas. Already put in my order during its pre-order discount at $19.50 yesterday. By the way would love to see some comparison of its price range. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back