Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
May 16, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #1,415 of 1,431
Hello, fellow B2 lovers. After ~5 years, my Brainwavz gave out. I am now looking for a replacement. What I loved about the B2s:

Crispy highs, punchy mids, and less bass emphasis. I believe this is what is called the "analytical" sound. I also loved the microphonics (over the ear) and isolation. I used them nearly every day and while biking and never had a problem. Soundstage and depth seemed perfectly reasonable to me. I listen to every kind of music so I prefer something which can handle anything thrown at it. I am willing to spend a maximum of ~$250 for a headphone that I want to last for a while.

It has been exhausting looking through forums to search for a similar IEM, but I have narrowed down a small selection of IEMs which I believe are somewhat similar:

Etymotic ER4SR
Etymotic ER3SR
VSONIC GR07
iBasso IT01

Does anyone have a go-to IEM which is nearly identical to the B2? Has anyone compared the recently released B200s to the B2s?

May 16, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #1,416 of 1,431
I am in similar situation. I am checking TFZ King Pro, B400 and Falcon-C

May 17, 2018 at 2:31 AM Post #1,417 of 1,431
Honestly, the only real replacement is to find something else with TWFK inside. And the only proper upgrade I've heard is Noble 4 (now Noble Savanna). Otherwise, go for etymotic for the analytical sound. Don't think any of the newer brainwavz sound like the b2 - that's why I was so hyped about the phoenix. LMUE has the fischer audio TBA-04 for circa $215 - it might also be a good choice as the b2 was an OEM of the fischer audio DBA-02, so maybe the TBA-04 won't be far off and is a proper triple driver upgrade. From what I've read the falcon-c and it01 are both quite V-shaped, so nothing like the b2 too.

May 17, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #1,418 of 1,431
Hello, fellow B2 lovers. After ~5 years, my Brainwavz gave out. I am now looking for a replacement. What I loved about the B2s:

Crispy highs, punchy mids, and less bass emphasis. I believe this is what is called the "analytical" sound. I also loved the microphonics (over the ear) and isolation. I used them nearly every day and while biking and never had a problem. Soundstage and depth seemed perfectly reasonable to me. I listen to every kind of music so I prefer something which can handle anything thrown at it. I am willing to spend a maximum of ~$250 for a headphone that I want to last for a while.

It has been exhausting looking through forums to search for a similar IEM, but I have narrowed down a small selection of IEMs which I believe are somewhat similar:

Etymotic ER4SR
Etymotic ER3SR
VSONIC GR07
iBasso IT01

Does anyone have a go-to IEM which is nearly identical to the B2? Has anyone compared the recently released B200s to the B2s?

Q-Jays.
Closest thing I've found to the (loved!!!) B2 sound.

Of the 3 pairs of B2's I owned... one is still going strong (gym use only), but I commute with the Jays, and they are spectacular.

May 24, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #1,419 of 1,431
Hi all,

Thank you very much for all of your feedback and suggestions. I looked more into the Q-Jays and decided on purchasing those. Unfortunately, upon receiving my pair, the sound was slightly louder in one ear than the other so I had to send them back. However, I am definitely buying another pair once the return is processed. The build quality and sound of the Q-Jays are absolutely spectacular. The sound is very similar to the B2s, but with more sub-bass depth and refinement in the upper end, which was quite wonderful. I would highly suggest the Q-Jays to any B2 owner looking for a step-up.

The TBA-04s also look very intriguing. As a former DBA-02 owner, I would be very interested to see how they compare. One day I would also like to try out the legendary Etymotics...

May 24, 2018 at 3:00 PM Post #1,420 of 1,431
Hi all,

Thank you very much for all of your feedback and suggestions. I looked more into the Q-Jays and decided on purchasing those. Unfortunately, upon receiving my pair, the sound was slightly louder in one ear than the other so I had to send them back. However, I am definitely buying another pair once the return is processed. The build quality and sound of the Q-Jays are absolutely spectacular. The sound is very similar to the B2s, but with more sub-bass depth and refinement in the upper end, which was quite wonderful. I would highly suggest the Q-Jays to any B2 owner looking for a step-up.

The TBA-04s also look very intriguing. As a former DBA-02 owner, I would be very interested to see how they compare. One day I would also like to try out the legendary Etymotics...

Ugh... sorry to hear you had a bad Q-Jays set, but yes, once that issue is out of the way... these will continue to amaze! Great punch, speed, highs, neutrality, etc.

As for the Ety's... meh. I have had several, including the ER4's. I once thought that Ety were spectacular, as they were my first IEM's many, many years ago. Now I find them typically dull and slow and nasal. But hey... they may fit your bill. One never knows. But I honestly think that if you're a fan of the DBA-02 or B2... and the Q-Jays, the Ety's will put you to sleep.

Cheers

Aug 14, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,421 of 1,431
Ugh... sorry to hear you had a bad Q-Jays set, but yes, once that issue is out of the way... these will continue to amaze! Great punch, speed, highs, neutrality, etc.

As for the Ety's... meh. I have had several, including the ER4's. I once thought that Ety were spectacular, as they were my first IEM's many, many years ago. Now I find them typically dull and slow and nasal. But hey... they may fit your bill. One never knows. But I honestly think that if you're a fan of the DBA-02 or B2... and the Q-Jays, the Ety's will put you to sleep.

Cheers

I just wanted to follow up to my original post. I did receive a new pair of Q-Jays at the beginning of June. Since using them nearly every day, I am happy to say that I am thoroughly impressed. The Q-Jays are a totally worthy replacement / step up to the B2's and I am thrilled to have finally found a pair of headphones that match the feel. The Jays feel punchier on the bottom and less harsh at the top. The build quality is also outstanding, and I can comfortably wear the microphone cable over the ears for hours. Totally worth the money!

Thank you for all the help! :L3000:

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #1,422 of 1,431
I just wanted to follow up to my original post. I did receive a new pair of Q-Jays at the beginning of June. Since using them nearly every day, I am happy to say that I am thoroughly impressed. The Q-Jays are a totally worthy replacement / step up to the B2's and I am thrilled to have finally found a pair of headphones that match the feel. The Jays feel punchier on the bottom and less harsh at the top. The build quality is also outstanding, and I can comfortably wear the microphone cable over the ears for hours. Totally worth the money!

Thank you for all the help! :L3000:

Congrats, and enjoy!

Jun 4, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #1,423 of 1,431
@razzer001

Any news regarding the B2 Phoenix?

Good news, this project is actually starting to take shape.

Just as an update to those interested, the Phoenix (B2) will:

- Will be made via 3D printing, durable and sturdy
- Will be ergonomically designed, it will not keep to the original design of the B2.
- We will keep to a small batch production run, sold directly from our own website rather than on Amazon or other platforms
- We will offer customers some degree of customization
- We hope to have preorder in place by mid July and ship by early to mid August 2019.

More updates soon...

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #1,425 of 1,431
Good news, this project is actually starting to take shape.

Just as an update to those interested, the Phoenix (B2) will:

- Will be made via 3D printing, durable and sturdy
- Will be ergonomically designed, it will not keep to the original design of the B2.
- We will keep to a small batch production run, sold directly from our own website rather than on Amazon or other platforms
- We will offer customers some degree of customization
- We hope to have preorder in place by mid July and ship by early to mid August 2019.

More updates soon...

Razz are these still on track for a mid July preorder?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back