Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM Post #1,382 of 1,431
Considering I can grab a pair of TripleFi 10's or DN-1000's for about £130 I might just do that.

The good second hand markets seem to be drying up in the UK.

To be fair, after flirting with the Triple.fi 10's since 2011 I finally bought a used pair off eBay for £100, with a new silver-plated cable.

I can't believe what I've been missing all these years, my perfect sound signature! Similar clarity to the B2's, with slightly smoother treble and big bombastic bass. The soundstage is very wide, too.

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:05 PM Post #1,383 of 1,431

To be fair, after flirting with the Triple.fi 10's since 2011 I finally bought a used pair off eBay for £100, with a new silver-plated cable.

I can't believe what I've been missing all these years, my perfect sound signature! Similar clarity to the B2's, with slightly smoother treble and big bombastic bass. The soundstage is very wide, too.

Had I seen this post a fortnight ago I might have went for the TF10's but I grabbed a brand new pair of Audio Technica ATH E70's for £200.

Yes, completely over budget but I definitely landed on my feet.

May 3, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #1,384 of 1,431
Had I seen this post a fortnight ago I might have went for the TF10's but I grabbed a brand new pair of Audio Technica ATH E70's for £200.

Yes, completely over budget but I definitely landed on my feet.

How are you enjoying the E70's? My effusive praise for the TF10's was premature it seems. While they are exciting and the instrument separation is stellar, they just fall short of the B2's when it comes to detail retrieval - like watching a spectacularly-shot movie with lots of colourful scenes on a standard-def TV.

Jul 25, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #1,385 of 1,431
B2 broke again. This is a replacement pair from 2015. No idea how it can just stop working all of a sudden, it's just been sitting on my desk since I used it last, now the right channel sounds hollow :S

No idea what to buy now, B2 and DBA02 both discontinued and both seem to break easily.

Jul 25, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,386 of 1,431
B2 broke again. This is a replacement pair from 2015. No idea how it can just stop working all of a sudden, it's just been sitting on my desk since I used it last, now the right channel sounds hollow :S

No idea what to buy now, B2 and DBA02 both discontinued and both seem to break easily.
What sound sig do you want and what's your budget?

Jul 26, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #1,388 of 1,431
Jul 27, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #1,389 of 1,431
I like the B2 sig, kinda analytical I guess... which is why I've gone back to it. I've tried the HF5, Fidelio S2, DBA-02 MKII and I own the Flare R2A's.

I'd buy the B2 or DBA again if they were available but they're gone.
Since I got Flare R2A - I never regret getting rid of B2 :) I guess the aggressive BA-treble wasn't my taste

Aug 8, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #1,391 of 1,431
Hello.

I have my B2 since 2012 and for some weeks I decided to use it while running. I'm sweating A LOT due to the kind of exercise I'm doing, and today I noticed the right side of my B2 was sounding extremely muffled/recessed. After a lot of testing I believe the bigger BA may be damaged, since it started to sound almost as clear as the left one, but no bass at all or terrible distortion when using hiiigh volume. Feels like the BA awakes with high volume, but only distortion.

I want to open it to clean. This is a huge thread and I will search. But if someone remembers a post when the user shown how to open this unit, will help me a lot.

Ps: My B2 was one of my oldest "friends" and the failure is not because it's fragile. I killed my Westone UM3X RC the same way last week too, unfortunately. I always used both (and my Earsonics SM3) in the gym, but never to run like now. It's unbelievable how fast they died due to sweat, I believe 3 to 5 uses at most. I'm not running with the SM3... lol

Aug 8, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #1,392 of 1,431
Well, I was able to open my B2 after few tries with a small screwdriver. It was very well sealed inside and completely dry, so the sweat being the cause of the damage is very unlikely. My UM3X was completely taken by water inside. The B2 is perfect, like new, so I believe both stopping working in the same week was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Or the reason is another, like the constant hard steps over and over, but I really don't believe that. Anyway, the BAs seem to be damaged since I put it to play while open and it still distorts all the time. Left unit is perfect.

Now I need to open my left side UM3X taken by sweat. Wish me luck. =D

Aug 9, 2017 at 4:36 AM Post #1,393 of 1,431
Well, I was able to open my B2 after few tries with a small screwdriver. It was very well sealed inside and completely dry, so the sweat being the cause of the damage is very unlikely. My UM3X was completely taken by water inside. The B2 is perfect, like new, so I believe both stopping working in the same week was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Or the reason is another, like the constant hard steps over and over, but I really don't believe that. Anyway, the BAs seem to be damaged since I put it to play while open and it still distorts all the time. Left unit is perfect.

Now I need to open my left side UM3X taken by sweat. Wish me luck. =D

Just a note, the liquid component of sweat isn't really what damages earphones, rather its the salt and acid that is usually left after sweat evaporates that will degrade your earphones. Sweat is probably the biggest killer to earphones second to cable fatigue. The salt and acid can corrode the solder connections, dissolve the glue holding the housings and damage the diaphragm of a speaker. Quite a lot of times when people store their earphones for sometime and then take them out for use and they don't work, its usually down to sweat having corroded the soldering leads. I can be 100% sure but in the case of the B2, with what you've said, its probably the driver has taken impact damage more than your sweat damaged it.

I normally advise people they want to extend the life of their earphone they should use something to wipe off the sweat from their earphones on a regular basis and give them a bit of a shake to get out any sweat that got inside. Also there are earphones that are sweat proof (look for earphones using liquipel), i would recommend using those for your workouts otherwise you may go through a lot of earphones in a not so long period :wink:

Sep 21, 2017 at 4:55 AM Post #1,394 of 1,431
Rebirth...soon :ksc75smile:

B2WHAT.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back