Brainwavz B2 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Dec 1, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #1,366 of 1,431
  eheh no I didn't see your sig, my post must have looked condescending ^_^.
if you move around, just forget about the ER4, that's my sincere advice, there is no cable swap or adapter trick that makes them good to walk with. too much cable vibrations.
else it's the same idea as HF5(and probably like your hf2), to get good sound you need to insert them deeper than a B2, not really possible with comply P, they are just too long. and those IEMs have less bass from what I remember(arguably better than the B2, but not loud enough compared to the rest of the frequencies), so I'm not sure this is what you're looking for.

maybe some of Joker's recommendations? I usually run away from his favorite stuff because he likes bright signatures, but if the B2 doesn't feel too bright for you, he's most likely someone you might want to look at.

Well... actually I DO like bright... like the B2's.

Looking at a couple models that seem intriguing:

V-MODA Zn looks like it has possibilities...

RHA T20 also seems interesting, with the different tuning filters.

It would seem from your tastes that you'd like the Shure signature. Some what rolled-off highs. I have owned several different types. SE535 might work for you...?

Cheers

Dec 2, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #1,367 of 1,431
oh I know what I like, the difficulty is usually to get it with good isolation, and not too much sensitivity(I hate hearing background hiss from DAPs). so I usually go for those specs first and then EQ for the signature if I can(fake audiophile spotted). the shure have a lot of good points, I keep a pair of 215 around, but the 535 are way too sensitive for me.
I mostly use some EQed MK5(less sensitive than the HF5 but also not as good sadly), etymotic does such a great job with isolation.

anyway, I hope you find something you like.
wink_face.gif

Mar 3, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #1,368 of 1,431

Thanks.
You might see in my sig. that I have many IEM's and have had many more, including UE Customs.
There are too many things about the DBA-02 and B2 that are so near to perfect for my rigs and music and tastes, that the only thing I'd really want to add to them might be a tad more bass.
Their clarity is outstanding, and I don't find them shrill or excessive in the highs. I'm a Comply foamy guy only, so that's a criteria that's critical. The Comply's P-type must fit.

I was also looking at the Ety ER4P-T. Neutrality is king, but they can go a bit warm, so long as they're not rolled off in the highs.

What might you be thinking??

I agree, B2 is awesome and no IEM I have tried is nearly as good. I have the DBA-02 MKII but still prefer the B2 slightly, seems a bit bassier. It's analytical but not thin or shrill sounding, Excellent for metal music.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #1,369 of 1,431

I agree, B2 is awesome and no IEM I have tried is nearly as good. I have the DBA-02 MKII but still prefer the B2 slightly, seems a bit bassier. It's analytical but not thin or shrill sounding, Excellent for metal music.

I wound up getting the new Q-Jays. Pricey, but the closest to (if not 'better' than) the 02's.
Their sonic signature is more natural than the 02's and less metallic in the highs. They are excellent...!

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #1,371 of 1,431
Do they show up 'faults' in poorly recorded music or really ****ty quality MP3s/etc ? From my memory of these wonderful IEMs (my last pair died 3 yrs ago), yes they do. For dual driver universals, they do detail rather well. All of it :wink:

May 7, 2016 at 10:12 PM Post #1,372 of 1,431
For dual driver IEMs, how on Earth do they image and reproduce detail so well?! I'm sat here with my B2s and my SE846s, and the B2s s**t all over the SE846 in terms of detail retrieval.

May 8, 2016 at 7:09 AM Post #1,373 of 1,431
For dual driver IEMs, how on Earth do they image and reproduce detail so well?! I'm sat here with my B2s and my SE846s, and the B2s s**t all over the SE846 in terms of detail retrieval.

Yep. That was always the thing with the B2's: 'How the hell did they sell something that good (assuming you liked the sound sig/detail) at that price ?' :) Despite owning a two pairs of customs, if they still sold the B2's I wouldn't hesitate to keep a pair & use them regularly.

May 8, 2016 at 5:24 PM Post #1,374 of 1,431
Yep. That was always the thing with the B2's: 'How the hell did they sell something that good (assuming you liked the sound sig/detail) at that price ?' :) Despite owning a two pairs of customs, if they still sold the B2's I wouldn't hesitate to keep a pair & use them regularly.

I agree.
I'm on my last pair. I originally had one DBA-0 and two B's. I'd gladly buy another set. Great IEM's for the price.
The new Q-Jays are the closest IEM's I've found to that sound, but even better in bass response and overall natural sound. Built like tanks... and the cost reflects that.

As for your earlier question... yes. They show poor mastering or pressing, mixing, etc, as any very revealing IEM or cans will.

May 8, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #1,375 of 1,431

I agree.
I'm on my last pair. I originally had one DBA-0 and two B's. I'd gladly buy another set. Great IEM's for the price.
The new Q-Jays are the closest IEM's I've found to that sound, but even better in bass response and overall natural sound. Built like tanks... and the cost reflects that.

As for your earlier question... yes. They show poor mastering or pressing, mixing, etc, as any very revealing IEM or cans will.

Slightly off topic but in relation to both of your comments: what's most likely to go wrong on these IEMs, barring the cables? I'm planning to get them modded when the cable breaks so that it has the Triple.Fi 10-style connector.

May 8, 2016 at 11:27 PM Post #1,376 of 1,431

Slightly off topic but in relation to both of your comments: what's most likely to go wrong on these IEMs, barring the cables? I'm planning to get them modded when the cable breaks so that it has the Triple.Fi 10-style connector.

Not something I would even begin to speculate. Sorry. They are incredibly well-built... so maybe something internal, but other than humidity from wearing while working-out, I couldn't tell you.

May 9, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #1,377 of 1,431

The two pairs I owned had driver failure in one case after a bit less than 12 mths (replaced by seller without having to go to the company) & the last pair had the cable detach where it runs into the housing of the earpiece. I did use both pairs 'all day everyday' kind of thing, so I wasn't entirely unhappy with the use I got out of them/durability.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #1,378 of 1,431
So... My third pair of B2's gave up the ghost and Brainwavz/MP4Nation won't let me hit the warranty button (again) which I don't blame them.

Always used them with Comply tips because sibilance was an ear killer with the B2's.

I have a pair of RE-400's which are kinda awesome and meh at the same time. I also have a pair of RE-00's which are a nostalgic visit back to the days when I had the amazing RE-ZERO then decided to return them for no smart reason.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Sabaton. Add into that some Lindsay Stirling (violin-heavy), Machinae Supremacy and S&M Metallica, Two Steps From Hell and Alestorm... My music taste can be a bit all over the place.

I just cannot find anything that will really give me what I think that I want.

Prominent vocals, great detail,intimate soundstage, not as harsh as B2 highs, less sibilant presentation, great instrument separation, enough speed to actually handle the tracks... And an intact savings account afterwards.

Not even the DBA-02/Mkii has appeared on eBay or Gumtree for a while...

Oh and I'm wondering whether it's all my Fiio X1's fault!

For reference, this pair broke at the jack end. The other two broke at monitor end.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #1,379 of 1,431
So... My third pair of B2's gave up the ghost and Brainwavz/MP4Nation won't let me hit the warranty button (again) which I don't blame them.

Always used them with Comply tips because sibilance was an ear killer with the B2's.

I have a pair of RE-400's which are kinda awesome and meh at the same time. I also have a pair of RE-00's which are a nostalgic visit back to the days when I had the amazing RE-ZERO then decided to return them for no smart reason.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Sabaton. Add into that some Lindsay Stirling (violin-heavy), Machinae Supremacy and S&M Metallica, Two Steps From Hell and Alestorm... My music taste can be a bit all over the place.

I just cannot find anything that will really give me what I think that I want.

Prominent vocals, great detail,intimate soundstage, not as harsh as B2 highs, less sibilant presentation, great instrument separation, enough speed to actually handle the tracks... And an intact savings account afterwards.

Not even the DBA-02/Mkii has appeared on eBay or Gumtree for a while...

Oh and I'm wondering whether it's all my Fiio X1's fault!

For reference, this pair broke at the jack end. The other two broke at monitor end.

I suggest sending them out to BTG Audio (http://www.btg-audio.com) and have them fitted with the removable cable mod - this gets rid of the B2's biggest downside: the cable!

The mod and a new cable shouldn't break the bank.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #1,380 of 1,431
I suggest sending them out to BTG Audio (http://www.btg-audio.com) and have them fitted with the removable cable mod - this gets rid of the B2's biggest downside: the cable!

The mod and a new cable shouldn't break the bank.

International shipping will probably break the bank.

Our customs services are hopeless to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back