Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Mar 27, 2019 at 12:52 PM Post #1,427 of 1,463
Hello,

Can anyone suggest a good alternative to these? maybe someone who has switched away from them or owns other goodies. :D
Something that perhaps has a bit more bass but just as detailed.

II tried the b400 around 3 months ago and had them for a week. My pair had faulty connectors and sound would drop out in one ear or there would be static. I really liked the detail in the sound, but they gave me ear fatigue (I think this was due to the way it fit in my ear canal rather than the sound). At the same time, the bass was very lackluster, so I just ended up sending them back for a refund (bought on amazon).

I'm a noobie when it comes to these stuff and my experience has been a pair of philips fidelio x2s (my daily PC headphones), momentum in ears for android (which is what i'm aiming to replace for my portable option as the cables are torn and i'm looking for an upgrade in detail).

For reference, I use 'When The Party's Over' by Billy Eilish to determine the level of detail (there's a subtle background sound in the first minute of the song that a lot of headphones and speakers don't manage to play) and 'Panic Room' by Au/Ra to determine a so called sweetspot for the bass that is neither deafening nor subtle, and finally 'The Red Strings Club' by Fingerspit (album and song are both titled the same) to determine how relaxing the experience is (too punchy and the piano sounds a bit overwhelming, too lackluster and it feels lifeless), so maybe I don't have the best examples...

Also, I use google music and primephonic as my sources.

Budget-wise, i'm looking at a cap of £200.... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #1,428 of 1,463
These are still one of my top picks under 200 USD, but the BGVP DM6 might be more up your alley. More bass, better build. Sig is more u-shaped than the B400 and not quite as smooth. The drivers are unfiltered so there are times when they can be a touch harsh, though it's not common. It's a really nice iem. More or less matches up with the hype it earned at the end of last year, imo.

Mar 28, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #1,429 of 1,463
These are still one of my top picks under 200 USD, but the BGVP DM6 might be more up your alley. More bass, better build. Sig is more u-shaped than the B400 and not quite as smooth. The drivers are unfiltered so there are times when they can be a touch harsh, though it's not common. It's a really nice iem. More or less matches up with the hype it earned at the end of last year, imo.

Thanks for the reply!
I had a look and now i'm torn between the BGVP DM6, BGVP DMG and the IKKO OH1. I got recommended the OH1 as an in-between of the DM6 and DMG, I do have quite sensitive hearing for harsh hissing, but I do wonder if burn-in might fix that? do you have any insight?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 7:56 AM Post #1,430 of 1,463
What eartips are no longer fitting? Unless you purchased from the original first preorder batch which was well over a year ago now, the nozzle design has remained the same, but even then, the tips we included would fit either style nozzle.
Hey, razzer, could you clarify if the new cosmic colors are embedded within the resin medium or are they coatings?

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2019 at 7:53 PM Post #1,431 of 1,463
Hey, razzer, could you clarify if the new cosmic colors are embedded within the resin medium or are they coatings?

A bit of both actually. The are coated a top of the printed shell, they are not embedded in the resin as that would obstruct with the printing, however the shells are then topped with a hard enamel lacquer sealing the coat permanatly. The hard enamel lacquer essentially forms a hard plastic shell when cured, so the flakes won't come off.

Apr 11, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #1,433 of 1,463
1-Main Pic.jpg
My review of B400: https://porta.fi/brainwavz-b400-headphones-review-staying-up-to-date/
In Russian: https://porta.fi/ru/obzor-naushnikov-brainwavz-b400-ne-teryaya-aktualnosti/

May 6, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #1,435 of 1,463
Large Shure Olives

May 8, 2019 at 6:59 AM Post #1,437 of 1,463
Silicones not great for me - which is why I use foams. The Olives are a natural fit with the narrow stems.

May 28, 2019 at 11:44 AM Post #1,438 of 1,463
huh so apparently the acrylic casing on my green b400s are REALLY fragile. I dropped mine twice in close succession, once onto hardwood flooring from my desk and another onto concrete from 4-5ft and both earpieces are cracked. (there's a tiny hairline crack on my left ear piece and a massive crack on my right earpiece from the nozzel to the back, wrapping around to the logo side of the earpiece.) Without thinking i poked a small spot about 0.5mm in diameter that looked like it shatterred and now there's a hole about 0.3 mm in diameter.

Soooo any idea how i might contact brainwavz for paid repairs or to buy a new left earpiece? i'm pretty sure warranty doesn't cover drop damages

edit: huh so brainwavz is actually located in Hong Kong, Kwun Tong industrial zone. Never realised Brainwavz is from the city i live in. Well that cuts out mailing from the equation

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #1,440 of 1,463
Anyone uses B400 with Dragonfly Red? Im looking for a small, portable DacAmp for it, and am not willing to spend more than 200 euros.
I have this combo. Works well. Note that DFR will draw some power from your phone... I do like to use foams with the B400 to improve bass a bit.
* A suggestion. Perhaps not small enough for you, but the Topping NX4 DSD is a powered DAC/AMP that will not drain down your phone or portable device. And it has a much better DAC Chip and an Amp with a lot more power. Saw it on sale for $135 on ebay (USA). It got great measurements at the AudioScience website... I like the fact it has it's own power, and like the tactile volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back