Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Apr 19, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #1,201 of 1,463
Give Brainwavz a call, to date they have been good about fixing things fairly quickly.

Apr 21, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #1,202 of 1,463
I was comparing the Massdrop Mee Pinnacle PX to the B400 because I was asked in pm by someone who had a specific question about the difference between them. To try to summarize down to a few lines…

The PX are boring but the B400 aren't. They have rather similar response curves with similar bumps and dips and cover about the same range of frequency. The PX are very good at reproducing the music they are given without addition or subtraction. They really don't do anything badly. Yet in comparison every aspect of the same music from the B400 just has a bit more. More clarity, more air, more imaging, more control, more layers, more separation. Just more in almost every detail. For any given thing the B400 is just a bit better than the PX. Yet overall I simply find myself enjoying the music more with the Brainwavz B400 than the Pinnacle PX.

Thanks bsoplinger, I think it was me >< Just a few days ago, I managed to take a brief listen at a local dealer. Yes I like the sound signature, it's the PX but with less grain and just a general "nice" signature for lack of a better word and because of my brief demo.

Interesting that you find the separation better! My worry about extension was unfounded, but I still felt that in the mids, the PX have a bit more detail and separation. Correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to elaborate! I might not have picked up the B400's detail and separation as much because the PX has a very strong perceived PRAT with a "snappier" decay, which may be masking the lack of actual detail.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,203 of 1,463
Thanks bsoplinger, I think it was me >< Just a few days ago, I managed to take a brief listen at a local dealer. Yes I like the sound signature, it's the PX but with less grain and just a general "nice" signature for lack of a better word and because of my brief demo.

Interesting that you find the separation better! My worry about extension was unfounded, but I still felt that in the mids, the PX have a bit more detail and separation. Correct me if I'm wrong and feel free to elaborate! I might not have picked up the B400's detail and separation as much because the PX has a very strong perceived PRAT with a "snappier" decay, which may be masking the lack of actual detail.
By separation I mean the perceived sense of the individual elements of a group. As I mentioned in my PM with you the timing of your request was perfect because I'm in the process of testing for a review of the Burson V5i opamp which I've installed into my Xduoo XD-05. If you were to look through the reviews already here on the opamp one feature that gets mentioned a lot is holographic sound.

So its entirely possible that the B400 and XD-05 with the Burson V5i combination is a more responsive whole than in combination with the PX. So use a different setup and you'll hear the PX having the better separation. My fibromyalgia has been rather problematic for the past week or so which means I'm unwilling to try a comparison explicitly listening for separation today. Send me a PM in a few days and I'll at least grab my Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato and try a comparison with that instead.

Apr 21, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #1,204 of 1,463
By separation I mean the perceived sense of the individual elements of a group. As I mentioned in my PM with you the timing of your request was perfect because I'm in the process of testing for a review of the Burson V5i opamp which I've installed into my Xduoo XD-05. If you were to look through the reviews already here on the opamp one feature that gets mentioned a lot is holographic sound.

So its entirely possible that the B400 and XD-05 with the Burson V5i combination is a more responsive whole than in combination with the PX. So use a different setup and you'll hear the PX having the better separation. My fibromyalgia has been rather problematic for the past week or so which means I'm unwilling to try a comparison explicitly listening for separation today. Send me a PM in a few days and I'll at least grab my Onkyo DP-S1 Rubato and try a comparison with that instead.

Thank you! No rush at all. The B400 is definitely not bad at all, I'll see if I can spend more time with the demo again with my DPS1 as well.

Wow it's interesting there are a decent number of B400 users here with the DPS1, I also noticed that in Wiljen's signature earlier :D I'm still trying to decide whether to switch to the Hiby R3 on kickstarter or stay content with what I have...

Apr 21, 2018 at 1:37 PM Post #1,205 of 1,463
Just wanna share a small finding. When I listened to my B400s with the large size stock tips, the sound is considerably crisper and more expansive than with the medium size tips. I suspect it is due to the snug fit when the medium size tips were used - the little ports on the inner side of the earphone housings were blocked as a result. On the other hand, the large size tips cannot be inserted deeply into my ear canals, causing a loose fit and allowing the air ports to function - preventing accumulation of air pressure inside the ear canal.

When I posted my first impression of the B400s, I used the medium size tips. It may contribute to my impression of "in the head" imaging. Now with the right fit, I do hear the B400s throwing a "out of head" staging (still intimate though). Also, the slight transient smear when reproducing percussion music disappears - listening to the original sound track of movie "Birdman", each drum strike is crisp and clear.

Apr 26, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #1,207 of 1,463
Hello folks, I would like to know who has the b400 stay frosty, if over time it turns yellow. it happens?
I've had mine for a while and haven't noticed anything. Although, I don't use them too much.

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,208 of 1,463
Hello folks, I would like to know who has the b400 stay frosty, if over time it turns yellow. it happens?

Here you can see a picture of mine, received late january or early february an used several hours a day since then. The bottom is a white card from Lastolite, used as a reference for accurate white balance in Lightroom, so the frosty color in the pic is shown pretty close to reality

AHM_7929.jpg

Apr 26, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #1,209 of 1,463
Here you can see a picture of mine, received late january or early february an used several hours a day since then. The bottom is a white card from Lastolite, used as a reference for accurate white balance in Lightroom, so the frosty color in the pic is shown pretty close to reality

So probably this material used in frosty color will not yellow over time, correct? @razzer001

Apr 26, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #1,211 of 1,463

The Frosty one I gave away. The person who received it promptly snapped the nozzle off changing tips. Got it back. Hasn't changed color in that time, but it also hasn't been used for obvious reasons, haha. Managed to mod one side with a tuning nozzle but the plastic on the other was super brittle and it gave up the ghost. Working towards a fix so I can add a tuning nozzle to that one too.

Apr 26, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #1,212 of 1,463
So probably this material used in frosty color will not yellow over time, correct?

Mine are still clear. They're 3D printed from HQ UV Resin - so I'm making the assumption that there will be a UV resistant coating in the process. If they were going to discolour, I would have expected some change by now. The only discolouration I have is from the cable, which is now a slightly teal colour (oxidisation). It doesn't bother me at all.

Apr 26, 2018 at 8:15 PM Post #1,213 of 1,463

Unless they are left under direct sunlight or a uv lamp for a long time, they will not yellow rapidly, however like many transparent plastics, some yellowing can be expected after a long period of time.

The Frosty one I gave away. The person who received it promptly snapped the nozzle off changing tips. Got it back. Hasn't changed color in that time, but it also hasn't been used for obvious reasons, haha. Managed to mod one side with a tuning nozzle but the plastic on the other was super brittle and it gave up the ghost. Working towards a fix so I can add a tuning nozzle to that one too.

You can contact our support to send your unit back to be rehoused, only cost is shipping the unit back to us, contact help@yourbrainwavz.com if you would like to do this.

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #1,215 of 1,463

Users who are viewing this thread

Back