Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #1,141 of 1,463
B400 balanced out of my Mass Kobo 404 sounds excellent. I like the sound of the knowles drivers a lot!

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #1,142 of 1,463
These are the answers I searched for. I've just given my b150 to a friend who is enthusiastic about them. Thank you. I place an order today for the B400 cause It is still cheap. Someone took my se425, but 300 is too much to spend, do you think I will be in the same league wit the Brainwavz flagship?

Apr 2, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #1,143 of 1,463
These are the answers I searched for. I've just given my b150 to a friend who is enthusiastic about them. Thank you. I place an order today for the B400 cause It is still cheap. Someone took my se425, but 300 is too much to spend, do you think I will be in the same league wit the Brainwavz flagship?

I have both and I think you will be close. Not to say the signatures are exactly alike but the level of detail is close and both are near neutral.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,144 of 1,463
I own, well, most of those. Nothing will have as good of separation as the b400, but much like the comparisons you made, if you can afford it, skip the tfz exclusives and go for the king pro. It's on another level from the other TFZs. The it01 is good, just tuned totally differently and not nearly as good at imaging.

Don't fancy the King Pro, sounds too bright. Exclusive 3 from reading is most balanced and smoother treble. I'm wanting to buy a cheaper TFZ set to test the water with the brand as less than £40. I've quite a few in mind that I'd try before the King Pro tbh. Simgot ESN Pro for one. Anyway, it01 will arrive hopefully next couple days so looking fwd to hearing it.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 9:37 PM Post #1,145 of 1,463
Nice write up. In case you are not aware advancedmp3players in the uk have a 15 percent off code for easter that expires monday, so you should be able to get the it01 for a bit cheaper still.

lol, I bought them from AdvancedMp3Players... but VIA Amazon UK so i didn't get the 15% off... wish i'd saw your post beforehand. Thanks tho for the info.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #1,146 of 1,463
I too own the B150, B200 and B400. If you're really strapped for money getting the B150 and saving up to eventually get the B400 is the best way I think you can go. You'll have a decent relatively inexpensive IEM to start that won't break your budget. If you're thinking that perhaps you can save some money and get the B200 and then move on to the B400 if you really liked the B200, you're picking an expensive route to my eye. You can decide if you like how BA versus Dynamic Driver designed IEMs sound and you'll definitely get a feel for the tuning common across these 3 models by getting the less expensive B150 and won't be getting too much more with the B200. If you decide to go really inexpensive and start with the B100, which I've never heard, my impression from reviews is that they're tuned differently from the rest of the Brainwavz BA offerings. Going the route I did is obviously not a good choice.

To summarize: on the poor side, buy the B150 and save for the B400. If you have the money just get the B400.

I agree with what you wrote but the guy has the B150 and is looking as to which one to upgrade. What i will say though, even though i quite enjoyed the B150, it went down to £30 at one point for a while on Amazon UK and I think that is a more accurate price for it. At £55 i don't think it's value for money and there is better out there.

EDIT : Just saw he bought the B400 lol. Good choice.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:09 PM Post #1,148 of 1,463
Don't fancy the King Pro, sounds too bright. Exclusive 3 from reading is most balanced and smoother treble. I'm wanting to buy a cheaper TFZ set to test the water with the brand as less than £40. I've quite a few in mind that I'd try before the King Pro tbh. Simgot ESN Pro for one. Anyway, it01 will arrive hopefully next couple days so looking fwd to hearing it.
You might be thinking of the original king. I actually find the it01 to be brighter than the king pro after burn in. The Exclusive 5 can also be relatively bright but the original king is definitely, definitely known as bright. King pro is very smooth, you might also like the my love 2, which has a pretty good reputation as well. Both the it01 and king pro EQ very well so if there is something you don't like you can tweak it.

Make sure to give any of those single DDs adequate burn in time before forming impressions. The it01 in particular goes through strange periods while burning in...

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:49 AM Post #1,149 of 1,463
You might be thinking of the original king. I actually find the it01 to be brighter than the king pro after burn in. The Exclusive 5 can also be relatively bright but the original king is definitely, definitely known as bright. King pro is very smooth, you might also like the my love 2, which has a pretty good reputation as well. Both the it01 and king pro EQ very well so if there is something you don't like you can tweak it.

Make sure to give any of those single DDs adequate burn in time before forming impressions. The it01 in particular goes through strange periods while burning in...

Thanks. I must admit, I've spent quite a bit of time looking in to the King Pro and you're probably the first to call it (very) smooth. Most reviewers have mentioned it being bright or bordering on bright. i was aware it wasn't AS bright as the original King. We all hear differently and have different gear tho. (PS... I don't believe in physical burn-in, just brain burn-in... but there's PLENTY other threads to discuss (argue) that tho so won't start here lol). I normally wouldn't touch something like the it01 for same reasons, but at £90 and being so well thought of by some of my favourite reviewers I'm going to take a chance.

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:11 AM Post #1,150 of 1,463
Brain burn in definitely exists with a pair like the b400. They're my proof of that concept (just like personally the akg 501k is my"proof" of physical burn in), as it's really not tuned to my liking, but I love them now.

You really have to get accommodated to the "space" that this pair creates. At first it sounded a little bit strange, but then the directional cues and separation really become more apparent.

I guess my point about the king pro is that if you find them bright, they EQ extremely well. Having listened to a lot of bright sets before, maybe my bright radar is broken, but I don't consider them bright.

Apr 4, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #1,151 of 1,463
B400 with the standard balanced cable pairs really well with the xdp-300.
Listening to Out of All This Blue - The Waterboys at the moment and it sounds brilliant from crunchy lows, through the detailed mids to the crisp highs! :)

Apr 4, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #1,152 of 1,463
Listening to Out of All This Blue - The Waterboys at the moment and it sounds brilliant from crunchy lows, through the detailed mids to the crisp highs! :)

Yeah, you get the right source and they really open up. i find a neutral DAP or DAC the best combo with the B400. Anything overly warm or thick sounding doesn't do it for me as you loose some of the detail (like my Xduoo X3, Fiio E10k, Fiio X1). I have a rather simple setup of a Sabaj DA3 DAC connected to a Topping NX2 Headphone AMP... great combo. I'm thinking of buying the Fiio X3 II as can get it at a really good price 2nd hand, anyone pair the B400 with it than can give me an idea of the sound?

Apr 4, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #1,153 of 1,463
I use a $30 aftermarket cable. I've tried to use the stock balanced cable from the B400 on my Pioneer CH9T and it's not good, sounds very cheap. Quite interesting to me.

Last edited:
Apr 5, 2018 at 3:19 AM Post #1,154 of 1,463
I use a $30 aftermarket cable. I've tried to use the stock balanced cable from the B400 on my Pioneer CH9T and it's not good, sounds very cheap. Quite interesting to me.

It’s funny, I ordered an aftermarket cable on AliExpress yesterday myself (£25), just outta curiosity as I don’t have a spare mmcx balanced cable.

Apr 5, 2018 at 3:38 AM Post #1,155 of 1,463
Brain burn in definitely exists with a pair like the b400. They're my proof of that concept (just like personally the akg 501k is my"proof" of physical burn in), as it's really not tuned to my liking, but I love them now.

You really have to get accommodated to the "space" that this pair creates. At first it sounded a little bit strange, but then the directional cues and separation really become more apparent.

I guess my point about the king pro is that if you find them bright, they EQ extremely well. Having listened to a lot of bright sets before, maybe my bright radar is broken, but I don't consider them bright.

Normally before i start trying out any new head gear, i give my ears a few days of rest, usually around 2 to 3 days, without listening to any earphone/headphone, this sort of helps clean your hearing palette, kind of like when people do wine tasting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back