Brainwavz Audio B400 4-Way Quad Driver 3D Printed IEM
Nov 15, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #527 of 1,463
Trust me, so do I. Hopefully we can get it there sooner than later.
So we are considering changing the cables that come with the b400.

I would like to know if people would prefer for us to keep the balanced 2.5mm cable or change it for a 3.5mm cable with a 3 button remote and mic? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Hi Razz - thats more a question for your sales department I think. Will most of your sales come from within the audiophile community or outside it? If more are outside it - then it makes sense to supplant the 2.5mm balanced with a good 3.5mm with on-cable controls. If more sales come from the audiophile community, stick with the 2.5mm.

And for those wondering (depending of course on your devices OI) the B400 seems to have a fairly stable impedance curve, and is not affected by small changes in impedance from the source (on frequency anyway). Balanced operation out of the X7ii or X5iii does not measurably change frequency response. Given that other factors like crosstalk, THD etc are beyond the discernible range of us mere humans - then balanced provides no actual benefits for such an easy to drive monitor.

Personally - I'd like to see the on-cable controls. If we had them I'd use them often with my phone. Your next question though would be if/can Brainwavz provide a switchable remote package between Android and iOS - that way including volume controls? FiiO did it for one of theirs. Quite nicely implemented too. That would be an absolute winner.

Nov 15, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #528 of 1,463
I belong to the DAP listeners community, but I think that a balanced cable as part of the package is overdone. Being an optional cable seems more sensible to me.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #530 of 1,463
My frosts were delivered 10 minutes after I left for work. Can't wait to get home and get them going. Brainwavz shipped and delivered via FedEx. Package was delivered in around 24 hours from the shipping notification.

Awesome news - are you in the US? If so where does it ship from? I'm waiting for my black version - kind of wish I had gone with the frosty but hope they get mine shipped soon as well.

Nov 15, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #531 of 1,463
I never listen to music on my phone. DAP only while mobile.
One of my DAPs has 2.5 balanced out, and I am looking forward to hearing it... and if I can discern a difference.

So... if as Paul says, there is no discernible difference between the two, then it won't really matter, but buttons and a mic are useless to me, and usually get in my way.
Cheers

Nov 15, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #533 of 1,463
I never listen to music on my phone. DAP only while mobile.
One of my DAPs has 2.5 balanced out, and I am looking forward to hearing it... and if I can discern a difference.

So... if as Paul says, there is no discernible difference between the two, then it won't really matter, but buttons and a mic are useless to me, and usually get in my way.
Cheers

Interested in your impressions my friend. I should add that my tests for discernable difference were performed with the two completely volume matched and having my daughter doing the switching (using a 2.5-3.5mm adaptor) - so single blind. Most SE vs balanced will have definite volume differences, so I'd propose that would be usually the main difference people are actually hearing. YMMV. Mine often appears to be a solitary voice (or at least one of a minority) among a much larger majority of audiophiles who can easily hear the differences :wink:

Nov 15, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #534 of 1,463
I would like to know if people would prefer for us to keep the balanced 2.5mm cable or change it for a 3.5mm cable with a 3 button remote and mic? Any feedback would be appreciated.
Hard to say for me. I like the balanced option but does it really have benefits? I'm not sure if they are audible for me.
The instances I use a mic can be counted on one hand but I can imagine it's handy for some.
Overall I would prefer the mic cable as stock with a good balanced cable as a option.

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:10 PM Post #536 of 1,463
3.5mm all the way for me. Although if you use a 2.5 female to 3.5 male adapter would it have any negative effects on sound?
None that I have heard - just adds a little bulk.

Nov 15, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #537 of 1,463
None that I have heard - just adds a little bulk.

If that is the case, then why not just provide the 2.5 balance with an adapter for 3.5. i wouldn't mind using it. All my sources including daps and amps are all 3.5 and I'd guess it's like that for most casual punters

Nov 15, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #540 of 1,463
I tell you what, send me a free B400 with the 2.5 balanced cable AND the 3.5 with 3 button mic and I'll get back to you on what's best.

I LIKE the way you think!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back