BQEYZ in-ear monitors Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2020 at 6:55 AM Post #977 of 1,701
Ok, I experienced a complete different set of IEMs this afternoon. Paired with the powerful Dethonray DTR1, the Spring 1 started to sing.
- Power is needed to make them shine
this dap is 300mw at what level are you for spring1 ? 10% ? what do you think is the minimum power to make them shine ? is 50mw enough ? thanks

UPDATE : it seems about 25mW/32 ohms is enough for spring1 : on my 20mW phone internal dac i am at 95% volume for classical, on my macbook 50mW internal dac i am a 30% on my meizu hifi pro 100mW usbc dongle dac i am at 25% (high gain), 55%( low gain) (i hear no significant difference in sound from these 3 sources so i don't understand why people say spring1 needs power)

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #980 of 1,701
sorry, newbee question : spring1 does not have balanced input, how do you convert the balanced output of your source to the unbalanced input of spring1 ? you need a differential amp to do that, a passive cable cannot do that.

Assuming you have a balanced amp (or some other source with balanced output like ES100), all you need is a balanced IEM cable for the spring 1.

Apr 3, 2020 at 8:54 AM Post #981 of 1,701
That 13mm driver could theoretically displace slightly less air than the two 10mm drivers in the bq3, but I'm guessing based on the design that bass is improved in the spring 1.
interesting idea but it implies the two 10mm dynamic drivers are working in tandem on the same frequency range, do you know if it is the case or if they are crossovered to serve 2 different frequency range ?

Apr 3, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #982 of 1,701
interesting idea but it implies the two 10mm dynamic drivers are working in tandem on the same frequency range, do you know if it is the case or if they are crossovered to serve 2 different frequency range ?

From Wiljen's review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bqeyz-bq3.23453/reviews

"The BQ3 is listed as a 3 driver with 2 dynamic drivers and 3 balanced armature drivers per shell. The pictures tell a slightly different story, a single housing with dual diaphragms is used for the dynamics, a dual package BA and a single BA make up the physical units inside the casing. This helps explain how a 5 driver in-ear can be made in the same size case as previous models with a single dynamic driver."

Apr 3, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #983 of 1,701
Don't buy the spring 1 if you're going to drive it from a phone. It'll sound kind of dead....
You're going to want 300mw minimum for this set.
at what percentage of these 300mw are you setting your volume to for a normal casual listening ? are you more like 5% or 50% ? thanks

update for those who have the same question : based on listening on his 2 different sources a user said 24mW is not enough but 71mW is enough to have proper sound on spring1, not a definitive answer but at least it narrows the search :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #984 of 1,701
From Wiljen's review:

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/bqeyz-bq3.23453/reviews

"The BQ3 is listed as a 3 driver with 2 dynamic drivers and 3 balanced armature drivers per shell. The pictures tell a slightly different story, a single housing with dual diaphragms is used for the dynamics, a dual package BA and a single BA make up the physical units inside the casing. This helps explain how a 5 driver in-ear can be made in the same size case as previous models with a single dynamic driver."
is it the same with kb100 (single housing with dual diaphragm) or it has 2 different dd housing as the shell shape suggests ?

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #985 of 1,701
Im done with 100 hours burning of the Spring 1, and did try tips rolling. My previous method to push down the eartips until past the IEM nozzle edge doesn't sounds great anymore due (maybe) tighten DD driver which resulting in less bassy now, I put the spiral dot back in normal position and getting bass now, but the mid bass sound a bit bloated and lifeless on highs. I hate this, until I keep tips rolling from my collection, open even my 3rd box where all the seldom used tips sit there forever, and I found 1 eartips, I dont know what its name, I dont know where did I buy that or come with what IEM. They are a wide bore eartips, with soft silicones, not firm, softer than spiral dots, but of course dont have dots on inner side, but have very short nozzle neck, they sit very nice on SPring 1 nozzle and OH MY GOD!!!!!
Lower end extension that dig down deep, without bloated mid bass, low end that sounds tighter, very very great mids very clear very very details (1 of the best mids I've ever heard), great proportion of thickness, clarity, details, lively highs with a lot of details and veryyyy airy wide soundstagee.
If you have BLON BL-03 too, this is like the mature, better version of it. Similar tuning with just a little bit of exception with much better details, more clarity, wider soundstage, better separation, etc.
Eartips really is the key, just like BLON too.

Actually the stock eartips will do good maybe, the reference one, be sure you burn the DD past 100 hours just I have big ear canals so the largers stock tips still too small for me.

the Key to the Spring 1 eartips : wide bore, short nozzle so it won't overlap the iem nozzle edge much (to avoid too much resonance that will cause bloated mid bass), and good seal (to get the sub bass). Dont give up with eartips rolling, my fave spiral dots made Spring 1 sounds dull and lifeless.

I'll post the eartips later, I might do a full review for this. crazy crazy good IEM.

note that they required more power too, and they are shining on higher volumes.
seal is key both for comfort and for sound quality, what about the custom tips for $10 (watching out to not block the vents by putting some wire you remove once the thing has hardened creating a negative space tunnel for the air to go through) has someone tried it ?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #986 of 1,701
You need to have power and listen at high volume to use these to their potential. If not, at lower volume and/or power, the bl-03 is going to sound as good or better.
another reviewer said : "So this Spring 1 wont be great to be listen in low volume, but they will shine on higher volume level."
that's really bad, if spring1 only shine at high listening volume because we cannot do casual listening over long period of time at high volume, does other reviewers notice that ?

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #987 of 1,701
use 40-60 bucks pocket amplifier to get wider scene, better details and more juicy bass.
it kind of make sense to upgrade the dac/amp part of the audio pipeline and make sure it is not the weak link in the audio chain but then i listened to this experiment and it gave me food for thought because i could not hear any difference on my zs10 pro powered from a macbook jack, let's hope i can hear a difference with my spring1 that will soon arrive from china

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 12:13 PM Post #988 of 1,701
Spring 1 are getting benefit from burn in process
i read many article debunking burn-in for drivers in cabinet speakers and in headphones, are these tiny iem drivers any different ? what is very real is brain burn-in as our perceptions is a mental construction and if we are used to listening to a single iem for a long period of time, any new iem will aways sound weird at first because we trained out brain to compensate for the imperfections of the previous iem, this is also why after a new training process (a few days to a few weeks) we feel the new iem is growing on us.

if you have always done burn-in and feels the sound is better after burn in please ignore this comment and continue enjoying the burn-in process because placebo effect is also very real : if you believe in burn-in, it will affect the way you perceive the sound in a positive way (this has also been demonstrated by multiple experiment where you put the same wine in a bottle with a $10 sticker and in a bottle with a $100 sticker, a vast majority of us will say the $100 bottle tastes better because we taste with our brain more than we do with our taste buds. another example is optical illusion even when we know our brain will trick us we cannot undo the illusion ).

as human, we are subjective, this is why so many of us are into perception based hobbies (photography, audiophilia, gastronomy ) it is rich and complex because we are more in psychology territory than we are in physics territory.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back