bowls vs flat pads? sr60's and 225's?
Jun 6, 2004 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ismelllikepoop

100+ Head-Fier
I've been trying to compare how the different pads sound just now, and from what I can tell, the bowls seem to have no bass? i dont know if this is right, but my sr60's with flats on sound better than my sr225's with the bowls on (almost bassless). When I first got the sr225's i used only flat pads and I was amazed at the sound difference, but after comparing the pads, it makes me want to sell my 225's. Seems almost as if the pads make more a difference than the 60s versus the 225's. Does this make sense, or are my ears dumb, or are my 225's some kind of fake?

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ismelllikepoop
I've been trying to compare how the different pads sound just now, and from what I can tell, the bowls seem to have no bass? i dont know if this is right, but my sr60's with flats on sound better than my sr225's with the bowls on (almost bassless). When I first got the sr225's i used only flat pads and I was amazed at the sound difference, but after comparing the pads, it makes me want to sell my 225's. Seems almost as if the pads make more a difference than the 60s versus the 225's. Does this make sense, or are my ears dumb, or are my 225's some kind of fake?

well, flat pads are a given for any grado user. i'm not surprised that your sr-60 with flats sounds better than the sr-225 with bowls. however, that doesn't mean the sr-225 is bad -- it's the bowls that suck. i've owned the sr-225 briefly and enjoyed it. i have not owned the sr-60, but have been told by a respected opinion that it's lacking in the low end, even with flats. maybe that bass deficiency resulted in the flat pads making such a huge difference that you thought the sr-225 was no good. compare both phones at length with flat pads, and i bet you'll pick the sr-225. (heh, better yet, i believe they're almost identical: cover up the button with the number and do a DBT. oh, wait -- one has a 1/8" plug and another a 1/4". you could still try it.)

Jun 6, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 17
i have the same experience with sr225. flats are pretty necessary to bring in the bass.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 17
why would grado use bowls now then? I guess that is why when I compared the 125's with the 60's at the store, I couldn't see why someone would pay the extra 80 bucks. Is there a good way to test between the two? taking off the flats and switching cans as fast as i can doesnt seem to effective. I *think* i can hear a difference, esp when I choose a certain song I know well, but I don;t know if it's mental. boo usc, mike williams is an ass.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 17
well, you could buy another pair of flat pads (always good to have a backup). but i've never found quick switching between headphones to be the best way of comparing them anyway. sit down with each one for a couple hours and form your impressions afterward. even take a break in between, let the differences appear gradually.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:11 AM Post #6 of 17
Actually, the "flats" that come with current SR-60's are not the same as the flats that used to come with the higher-model Grados. The SR-60's current stock "flats" are actually the comfy pads, with soft foam that completely covers the drivers. Those are the pads that actually muffle the sound from the Grados, especially the higher models.

The flats that we like are the old-style, hard-foam flats with holes that had already been cut from the center of the pads (on the ear-facing side) at the factory. Those true Grado flat pads are otherwise known as "donuts".

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #7 of 17
wow, i never even thought he might be referring to sr-60 comfies. that would change everything.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:38 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

boo usc, mike williams is an ass.

wow...
confused.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 17
im talking about the flat pads todd sells. I'd almost say i like the comfies more than the bowls, but the flats seem a lot better than both. One thing i realized tho is that the comfies seem way more comfortable than the flats for extended listening. I never had to stretch the 60's to be comfortable, but using the flats on the sr225's, i had to stretch it out to stop my ears from hurting.

uscgoose,i i apologize for any offense. i went to college in socal, and when i would tell ppl i was from ohio, they would rag on the buckeyes and say usc would destroy them (in football). I feel/felt a lot of usc football fans seem to be bandwagoners, i've never seen a usc football fan until two years ago when they actually started to do well, and here in ohio, football always has been a huge deal. I'm just concerned that if mike williams is allowed to return to usc, they would have a ridiculous offense, and seem like they would be unstoppable.

Jun 6, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #10 of 17
ismelllikepoop,

Thanks for clarifying the information about which pads you were talking about.

I agree that the flat pads that Todd sells really made Grados sound like what they were originally intended to sound like, especially on the SR-325's.

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:11 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

I'm just concerned that if mike williams is allowed to return to usc, they would have a ridiculous offense, and seem like they would be unstoppable.

ok, i can live with that.
smily_headphones1.gif

i went to usc from 1999-2003, my parents went way back in the 70s. i've been a fan for a while.

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #12 of 17
Try the Sen 414 flat pad mod with a hole cut in the centre... superb..
orphsmile.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by bln
well, flat pads are a given for any grado user. i'm not surprised that your sr-60 with flats sounds better than the sr-225 with bowls. however, that doesn't mean the sr-225 is bad -- it's the bowls that suck. i've owned the sr-225 briefly and enjoyed it. i have not owned the sr-60, but have been told by a respected opinion that it's lacking in the low end, even with flats. maybe that bass deficiency resulted in the flat pads making such a huge difference that you thought the sr-225 was no good. compare both phones at length with flat pads, and i bet you'll pick the sr-225. (heh, better yet, i believe they're almost identical: cover up the button with the number and do a DBT. oh, wait -- one has a 1/8" plug and another a 1/4". you could still try it.)

confused.gif
I'm confused...
confused.gif

Are you guys all just bass heads or am I ultra sensitive to bass? I find that the SR60's have plenty of bass with the bowl pads. To say the SR60's have no bass with bowl pads is like saying the HD555 has none whatsoever... Heck, negative values even... Yet even though I find the HD555's to be a bit lite in the bass department I wouldn't call them anemic or anything...

Jun 6, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 17
I'm confused as well. I have the sr-80's with bowls and modded comfies, and the bass with the bowls is anything but lacking. The modded comfies do dampen the highs to a large degree, allowing you to turn the volume up much higher. This results in a fairly ugly sounding bass heavy can IMO, and i can't imagine anyone not being satisfied with the bowl's bass.

I still wonder what the OP thinks of the differences between the 60's and 225's when using the same pads.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #15 of 17
The bowls sound tinny due to the proximity effect. The distance between your ears and drivers is bigger in comparison with flats. Thus bowls emphasize heights and the bass is weakened.

Depends also on the shape of your ear. If you have small ear, the bowls almost sit around them. The sound is closer to rather to circumaural than supra-aural and increase the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back