Bowie in Santa Monica: From bootleg to mainstream
Nov 2, 2008 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

chadbang

Headphoneus Supremus
Damn, I just discovered this three months after it came out. What a surprise. For those of you who haven't heard it before, this is a really amazing album. It was one of my most precious cds of all time, until I accidently destroyed it and lamented its loss for years. I managed to locate a crappy copy of the concert about a year ago as a bootleg, now I've discovered this:
Amazon.com: Live in Santa Monica '72: David Bowie: Music

This may be old news to some, but if you haven't heard this album it's awesome. A minimal band led by Bowie and Mick Ronson on guitar who is a phenomenal musician. Its basically Ziggy Stardust and Hunky Dory live. It's such a simple clean recording (although it takes awhile for the soundboard to get its act together), that the talents of the players really get to shine. The Emperor's clothes naked and it stupendous -- which is something only real talent can pull off. I'm going to say it's a live recording must-have. Add it to the ranks of the best all time live albums. So if you haven't heard it and you like GOOD Bowie at all, snap it up. It's fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread