Peter Gabriel- Up (Jan. 2002)

Beck-- Sea Change (Dec. 24)

Ryan Adams-- Gold (Nov. 26)

David Bowie-- Heathen (Dec. 10)

Oasis-- Heathen Chemistry (Dec. ??)

John Coltrane-- Love Supreme (date ??)

Mark

Nov 21, 2002 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 16
The Coltrane one kind of pisses me off, though, since I just bought another remastered version, although this one included a second disk with the only live version of ALS and the famous recording of part of the Suite with Archie Shepp. Why this version couldn't be an SACD hybrid is beyond me. Which means, of course, that I'll have to buy it again.
mad.gif

Nov 21, 2002 at 4:03 AM Post #3 of 16
Given how great the standard version of Up sounds (especially on headphones), I cant WAIT to hear the SACD! GREAT news, thanks, Mark

Quote:

Originally posted by markl
Cool new SACDs:

Peter Gabriel- Up (Jan. 2002)

Beck-- Sea Change (Dec. 24)

Ryan Adams-- Gold (Nov. 26)

David Bowie-- Heathen (Dec. 10)

Oasis-- Heathen Chemistry (Dec. ??)

John Coltrane-- Love Supreme (date ??)

Mark

Nov 21, 2002 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 16
Sea Change is much better than Mutations which it resembles in melancholy tone, but not as good as Midnite Vultures (I know I'm alone in thinking Vultures is his best disc).

Mark

Nov 21, 2002 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 16
Wait, so these are single layer SACD? NOT hybrid?

Nov 21, 2002 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by royboy2k
Wait, so these are single layer SACD? NOT hybrid?

Yes, on the Coltrane, AFAIK. Verve just released a redbook, remastered double CD of the "Complete" on October 23.

Nov 21, 2002 at 10:50 PM Post #9 of 16
Gabriel is hybrid stereo.

Beck is hybrid multi-channel

Ryan Adams is single layer multi

Bowie is single layer multi

Oasis is single-layer multi

Of course, all multi-channel SACDs have a seprate two-channel hi-rez mix for headphone listening pleasure.

Mark

Nov 22, 2002 at 4:08 AM Post #10 of 16
Of course, all multi-channel SACDs have a seprate two-channel hi-rez mix for headphone listening pleasure.

Mark [/B][/QUOTE]

What do you have to do to access the two channel mix, Mark?

Nov 22, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #11 of 16
Depends on your SACDP. Mine is a Sony SCD-333ES with Modwright mods and Bybee filters. It was only ever designed to play back 2-channel SACDs so it will automatically default to the two-channel layer on multichannel discs.

If you have a Sony SCD-555ES which is the successor to the 333 and can handle multi-channel SACDs, I suspect you have to press a button to default to the 2-channel layer. Can any 555 owners comment?

Mark

Nov 22, 2002 at 6:38 AM Post #12 of 16
I'm glad to see some rock coming out on SACD. It was expected and inevitable that there would be alot of classical and jazz (a good thing), but I am surprised to see bowie and beck.

Nov 22, 2002 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
hmmm... any plans to remaster ziggy stardust on SACD?

doubtful, considering they just remastered it a couple months ago for the 30th anniversary edition. although, ask dark angel and he'll tell you too: it sounds really amazing.

my ns500v has a multi-channel/stereo button and i just hit that. there's a little light on the front for multi-channel and when it's blue, it's in multi-channel mode. press the button and it either turns off, or goes to amber. i can't remember. works for watching dvds too (5.1 or dolby 2.0).

Nov 22, 2002 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch
doubtful, considering they just remastered it a couple months ago for the 30th anniversary edition. although, ask dark angel and he'll tell you too: it sounds really amazing.

I'm not sure if this always holds true. Just last month Verve released the remastered "A Love Supreme" and within the next two months (at least that's what's being said now--who really knows?) they're releasing it on SACD. Talk about getting you to buy the same thing multiple times. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back