Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Jun 30, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #1,847 of 2,191
My pair of these arrived today. Have to say on initial listening they’re much improved over the PX7 which I didn’t really enjoy.

Comfort levels are much better with a much lighter clamping force (unlike the vice like PX7).

ANC seems improved from memory too. It’s not Sony XM5 good but appears very useable.

Muddiness and rolled off treble from the PX7 seems gone too. Quite enjoying the sound on these. Good resolution and separation as you’d expect.

Liking the move to the B&W music app. Setup was slick and easy. The app now has some limited EQ available.

Build quality and fit and finish is fabulous, despite the plastic arms. It’s all very high quality.

These feel like a solid upgrade.

Be interesting to see what B&W bring to the table with the PX8. Also feels slightly odd they’ve pre-announced the PX8 so far ahead as surely that’ll kill some potential PX7S2 sales?

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #1,849 of 2,191
Thanks for the first impressions @garethr!

By the way, are the ear cushions attached magnetically like the ones of the PX?
No. It was only the PX and not the PX7 that had that as far as I remember. To be fair whilst having them magnetically attached is really cute, unless they’re going to be selling replacements like the AirPods Max I don’t see much practical point in it.

Jun 30, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #1,850 of 2,191
In fairness, it was a pretty thoughtful and unique way to hide the stereo jack. The actual physical design of the P7 remains superb to this day.

Glad to hear the PX7 S2 has improved audio characteristics. I liked how cinematic the PX7 was but it really wasn't versatile across genres, so anything B&W did to address that is probably a step in the right direction.

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #1,852 of 2,191
So tempted but I’m really looking forward to the flagship PX8 release in a couple of months. Can’t wait for that reveal.
It could be fantastic.

I have the P9 from B&W in my stable, and they are brilliant. Focal Celestee levels of good, I sometimes choose P9 over Stellia for my listening which says it all.

If B&W can replicate the P9 in wireless form they will blow people away. It'll be a gigantic chasm from the PX8 to the Airpods Max. Im hoping they do it.

Note the P9 are much, much better than anything else they make, ive owned/own it all (PX7, P7, P5, etc). So yeah, expecting big things here.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 4:20 AM Post #1,853 of 2,191
Correct. The PX8 already has its BT certification completed, and is identical to the PX7S2,in using BT 5.2.

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/145929
That's interesting, as B&W themselves state the S2 has BT 5.0

Very happy to see some first impressions that state a departure from the original PX7 sound (and PX for that matter); didn't really enjoy that one either (and I wanted to enjoy it, I really tried).

Also the design is more like the old days of P7 and P5, really looking forward to them and the PX8 later this year. I really want to be able to love a B&W headphone again.
Sometimes, I dream of an updated P7W... oh well.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #1,854 of 2,191
That's interesting, as B&W themselves state the S2 has BT 5.0

Very happy to see some first impressions that state a departure from the original PX7 sound (and PX for that matter); didn't really enjoy that one either (and I wanted to enjoy it, I really tried).

Also the design is more like the old days of P7 and P5, really looking forward to them and the PX8 later this year. I really want to be able to love a B&W headphone again.
Sometimes, I dream of an updated P7W... oh well.
Yeah, I'd assume its just a typo. To be fair I think the only place its mentioned is in the PR sheet download on the website. Nowhere else I've seen a mention of the specific BT version, but its definitely 5.2 nevertheless.

Interesting comment on the design harking back to the P7 and P5 - I'd completely agree. It feels very Bowers & Wilkins - especially with the addition of the silver band around the ear cups. I really like the design. Much better than the original PX7.

Jul 1, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #1,855 of 2,191
Man I just tried the PX7 today. How do you listen to them? Their bass is so aggressive!

Jul 1, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #1,856 of 2,191
Nice to see the new cans out, and some reviews, and first hand experience here. Im interested to hear how they compare to the px7 carbon, with firmware 1.2 . The px7 carbon certainly dont have rolled off treble or muddied bass, that was the original px7, the carbons are are totally different sound. They are a much weaker sound, but much more detailed. Terrible at low volumes.
Its shame the S2 seem to only have a 3 bar EQ, as this is where i was hoping you could adjust the sound effectively, but i cant imagine its possible with only 3 bar eq. I mean really, only 3 bar?! Whats that about? Like the old.model are b&w assuming their customers arent capable of using an equalizer properly, it ain't that difficult.
Maybe the flat setting is much better than the px7 amd px7 carbon.
I would like to hear, and also the px8 has my interest.

Jul 6, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #1,858 of 2,191
Received my set yesterday. Only things I can say already is that they are imho indeed better than PX7, and that they sound significantly better over USB-C connection compared to BT (AAC).

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #1,859 of 2,191
Well, I was all prepped to order this PX7 S2 in blue, but then I found out about the PX8.... now I have to wait. Really wish they came out at the same time, or at the very least, all the details for an informed purchase.

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #1,860 of 2,191
Well, I was all prepped to order this PX7 S2 in blue, but then I found out about the PX8.... now I have to wait. Really wish they came out at the same time, or at the very least, all the details for an informed purchase.
I'm much the same. As a PX7 user all the S2 release has done is make me get hype for the PX8. I want to wait for the flagship and while the S2 is pretty nice, it's not exactly thrilling me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back