Bowers & Wilkins PX7 noise-cancelling over ear headphones
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #376 of 2,191
Can anyone with a large head comment on the fit? I'm the kind of person for whom the Audio Technica 3D wings are a perfect fit, I have a relatively large rotund head.

I have a big head (wear a size 8 baseball hat) and they fit quite well. Better than the PX and they almost disappear as well as the Sony WH1000XM3, in my opinion. I’m taking a long haul flight Tuesday to Spain. I’ll report back on how long I can tolerate them, but so far so good.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #377 of 2,191
Hey,

I owned PX, and remember selling them to replace them with h9i... I got h9i day after selling px and I almost cried of disappointment. very thin odd sound replaced oddly tuned but very emotional sound of PX. I sold them because of the terrible comfort. I could not stand them.
Later I bought MX3... on paper a perfect headphones.. light super comfortable.. smooth tunable sound.. I read some measurements and made a very cool EQ to turn down terrible, hollow and super diffused bass. They sounded much much better but still... could not bring any emotions. I remember I took Koss porta pro and felt what I ass missing. Even Momentum IE2 sounded much much better. I sold the MX3 and got back to my IEMs. I felt that Sennheiser will bring something new, worth considering ANC, and a few weeks later MW3 came in. From super positive reviews, They could be my thingy.. sub base.. great mids, smooth highs.. Too much bass can be tuned down (I own Momentum True Wireless and app is a crap to me but can do a bit of balancing ). But that another shock came in, BW made PX7. I knew that it will be it... just waited for the first review... and boo, here it came. WhatHifi made a .... very unimpressed review. Great.. and all that but after Nirvana PX, writing that it can rub shoulders of competition is.. disappointing. Now I read this forum and also could not find any truly enthusiastic review. I remember how PX owners complained, but the reactions were emotional... and to be honest that was what I was looking for in PX7... emotions above all.. Can I ask owners , do they give any of that?

Oct 20, 2019 at 1:36 AM Post #379 of 2,191
So I've had the B&W P7W & PX, haven't listened to any other headphones in the last couple years. Just bought a silver PX7 and opened it up tonight. Assorted initial observations:

- Build quality: I haven't necessarily found them to feel "cheap." I happen to like that they're not leather. They do feel lighter. Mine, however, have a little perforation on the "pleather" in the headband area, not sure if that will open up and worsen over time. I'm considering exchanging it given the high price, but a replacement might have an imperfection elsewhere.
- Design/Aesthetics: On the other hand, I agree they look a little weird and bulky around the ears. The P7W was absolutely beautiful to me, and this is not in the same ballpark. My PX's were gold/navy, and those looked better.
- Comfort: I knew many people disliked the PX's comfort, but I felt it was a small price to pay for better sound. Now after a brief moment with the PX7, I better realize what I've put up with over the last 2 years. With the PX, I'd frequently have to fiddle with the earcups' orientation, squeeze them a bit to try to make them more pliable, and of course have to worry about a decent seal. The PX7, like the P7W, is easy so far.
- I'll confirm I immediately heard something that sounded like mild rattling from the right side (perhaps buttons) with movement. Could be problematic given that I like to walk with headphones but I haven't evaluated this closely yet. Wishful thinking is that this was actually some kind of digital artifact that a software update could fix, but that's a stretch. So far I haven't noticed the issue with music playing.
- I wasn't immediately amazed by the sound, for whatever that's worth. However, I'm cautiously optimistic. The PX's were notoriously bad out of the box, so I wanted to ask if those who have had the PX7 for a while now have noticed a sonic improvement with burn-in? I do hope, after the dust settles and in comparison to the PX, that this will have a bit more bass, more warmth, more clarity, and overall a more fun sound signature. I loved the P7W's lush and exciting sound, but I did find the bass somewhat clumsy and "pillowy" (a term I read in someone's review here or Amazon, and found apt). The PX's bass was more precise and well-defined, but the overall signature, while mostly detailed and specious, wasn't that fun.
- Appreciate that they decided to include a decent case this time around, given the cost.
- Hopeful about reports that ANC doesn't degrade the sound as much as with the PX. Have others had an issue with ANC being on by default upon powering on the headphone, even if ANC had been turned off with the prior use? This is highly annoying and needs to be fixed with the next software update.

Particularly eager to hear others' observations about any improvement with burn-in, and comparisons with the PX and/or P7W.

Oct 20, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #380 of 2,191
- I'll confirm I immediately heard something that sounded like mild rattling from the right side (perhaps buttons) with movement. Could be problematic given that I like to walk with headphones but I haven't evaluated this closely yet. Wishful thinking is that this was actually some kind of digital artifact that a software update could fix, but that's a stretch. So far I haven't noticed the issue with music playing.

I've noticed the rattle that some users are talking about too. It happens when I move around, mostly on fast walks or in the subway. And I can hear it even with music playing.

To those of you who have experienced it, have you found a solution for it? or do i have to send them back to Sennheiser?

Oct 20, 2019 at 11:32 AM Post #382 of 2,191
So weird. I was just out for a couple of hours, come back and now the wear sensors are working. :o2smile: Happy I won’t have to send them back! (So far...)

Okay, this seems kind of inconsistent for me. So far what seems to be working when I'm having issues, weirdly enough, is quitting and reopening the app on my iPhone. I don't know why this is but I hope it is a software issue rather than a hardware one.

Oct 20, 2019 at 2:42 PM Post #384 of 2,191
How/where did you get discount? :xf_eek:
Hi-Fi Klubben. Codes are valid until end of the month.

3ce0d473d070acf2ad20.png

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #385 of 2,191
I'm actually very happy to see how quite a few of us (audiofools) are realising we need ANC cans in our lives, one's that don't have an audible hum and sound specious enough and have a dac that plays entertaining and clean.
Of course there are compromises, but when I'm out (and this is out of experience), i know my few thousand rig just doesn't justify its existence, it's quality and musicality get swamped by the noise.
It does when I'm home and its late and dark and quiet and i hear why i just splashed 1400 on an iem

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #386 of 2,191
Hi-Fi Klubben. Codes are valid until end of the month.

3ce0d473d070acf2ad20.png

Cheers, it worked on the Swedish site as well.

I'm actually very happy to see how quite a few of us (audiofools) are realising we need ANC cans in our lives, one's that don't have an audible hum and sound specious enough and have a dac that plays entertaining and clean.
Of course there are compromises, but when I'm out (and this is out of experience), i know my few thousand rig just doesn't justify its existence, it's quality and musicality get swamped by the noise.
It does when I'm home and its late and dark and quiet and i hear why i just splashed 1400 on an iem

For me personally Bluetooth is just such an awesome convenience, even if it cost SQ.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #387 of 2,191

For me personally Bluetooth is just such an awesome convenience, even if it cost SQ.

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #388 of 2,191
Funny thing is, SQ is not far from things i owe and cost much much more, it's all down to the point of view and mine here is, these serve it's purpose really well.
Again, can't stress how much of a difference Aptx HD makes next to similarly priced offerings that only decided to go with AptX, i get why, they don't care what i think, they'll sell many, but it was not silly, It was plain stupid, for anybody who pays 300 a year to a non compression music service and paid 350 for headphone to listen to it, it's criminal

Oct 20, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #389 of 2,191
Isn't it strange that we haven't seen that many reviews yet? There's like a handfull of reviews outside of customer reviews. Would love to se more comparisons between the PX7 and other ANC headphones.

Oct 20, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #390 of 2,191
I've noticed the rattle that some users are talking about too. It happens when I move around, mostly on fast walks or in the subway. And I can hear it even with music playing.

To those of you who have experienced it, have you found a solution for it? or do i have to send them back to Sennheiser?

I assume you mean B&W, but I swapped mine for a replacement pair which doesn't have the issue. The new pair does creak quite a lot though, which the first pair didn't!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back