Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 31, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #796 of 2,912
Does anyone know if a new firmware has been pushed down to these? Mine have suddenly broken :triportsad:

They were perfect up until yesterday (even the wear sensor), but then they suddenly switched off after a few minutes of listening. This morning, they are doing it constantly. Turning the power back on manually and pressing the play button on the headphones starts the music again each time.

I have charged the battery and reset the headphones via the app. I'll try a different source tonight, but interested to see if anyone else was suffering the same problem.

The app shows I am on version 1.052 and I have not knowingly updated.

I am wondering the same thing. This last weekend they kept stopping music and disconnecting from my phone. Don't know what has changed.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #797 of 2,912
The PX is back in stock on the US B&W Site!

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Wireless-Headphones/Wireless-Headphones/px-headphones.html

Still torn between the PX and the Senn HD1 :thinking:

Nice... it does however say shipping will be delayed... how long will shipping delay?

I need to order a second set and return my current set. I just want to make sure I have a set with no quality control issues... the signal when wired sounds staticy & the auto on/ off sensors where acting up this weekend.

Sux because now that they are broken in they sound excellent in bluetooth mode with Apple AAC.

Oct 31, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #798 of 2,912
I am wondering the same thing. This last weekend they kept stopping music and disconnecting from my phone. Don't know what has changed.

Did you reset them? I reset them on the app, reset my phone as well and ran them with the Wear Sensor switched off. They were fine for an hour and then I switched the Wear Sensor back on and they have been fine with that on as well.

I am not getting too confident yet because they just suddenly went like that after several weeks of reliable use, but reset definitely helped, even if it does turn out to be temporary.

Oct 31, 2017 at 1:34 PM Post #799 of 2,912
Had similar issue. They started to behave weird after I connect them to OPPO HA-2 SE. Reboot solved the problem.
BTW, if you considering to get portable DAC exclusively for PX - i wouldn't recommend that. I tried my OPPO and borrowed Mojo and Dragonfly Red. None of these improved SQ while OPPO caused the headphones strange behaviour. Source with AAC or APTX , plus Build-in PX DAC is good enough. At least for my ears

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #800 of 2,912
Source with AAC or APTX , plus Build-in PX DAC is good enough. At least for my ears

While I do agree that it depends on the sensitivity of ones hearing, for myself I have to disagree. The Dragonfly Red is supported by the desktop version of Tidal as MQA renderer. The PX isn't, so Tidal Masters are not unfolded. They are played at 24/48 at best, even though Tidal is capable at offering it to the PX at 24/96. The Dragonfly Red however picks up the 24/96 resolution and renders it as offered (Core decode). Better DACs (my NAD M12 for instance) are able to unfold the third step at 24/192 (Full decode). I for one do hear the difference between the PX in USB mode and the PX via analog connection to the Dragonfly. Especially with my Moon Audio Black Dragon cable, the analog connection sounds better than the direct USB connection to the PX

See for more info .. https://www.audiostream.com/content/mqa-decoding-explained

Oct 31, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #801 of 2,912
Is that the Bluetooth TMA2 you're referring to? If so, how do they compare with the PX?

TMA2 is a really difficult headphone to compare with anything else because there are so many possible combinations of driver and earpads. After trying everything (well, anything that made sense to me) out, I'm really happy with the S02E06 combination. Poor isolation but love the sound stage and FR. Compared to PX... B&W has a wider/better sound stage and the bass goes lower. Bass is also bigger on B&W which is annoyingly boomy to my tastes. A little EQ of the low mids fixes that but I don't always have access to EQ... S02E06 FR is near perfect out of the gate. PX is less comfortable. I don't think it's just mechanical... the poundy sound is more fatiguing as well. PX has better pairing features (multipoint). Both are built really well but the PX is luxury and TMA2 is understated stealth style. TMA2 is also bomb proof, I have zero concern tossing them around/dropping them/throwing them in a bag. So tough. PX I want to baby. S02E06 sound signature makes me want to dance, it's tuned to make tunes bounce. PX has more detail and microdynamics.

Another comparison, S02E06 has more bass than OPPO PM-3 which does hide some detail but there's still a great amount of clarity. My impression there is that the PM-3 has expressive microdynamics where S02E06 brings it all up at once. To me the effect is in casual listening, it's easier to notice details on S02E06... but when it comes to critical listening and really picking things apart, the PM-3 excels.

Makes total sense, the TMA series is tested by and designed for musicians/djs so kind of silly to be comparing to audiophile grade kit but S02E06 has a sound I keep going back to. I do DJ and with the S02E06 plugged into a pioneer mixer, eqing the hi/mid/low just sounds right on the S02E06. The volume transition along each of the bands is musical and playing knobs with the S02E06 feels expressive. Cutting each band leaves the appropriate amount of music left in the others. The PM-3 is second place of this test bunch, it's neutral nature behaves exactly as expected. PX is worst there, the fun FR has things pretty off kilter. Stupid test but turning any EQ up, S02E06 distorts the best. I'm sure it's the only HP of the bunch that was tested for that. Take away is that the S02E06 sounds better at high volumes than PM-3 or PX. PM-3 again is second place, I can turn it way up and get enveloped in the sound without anything becoming painful or annoying. PX sounds best at low volumes, getting moderate/loud is fatiguing without EQ.

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #802 of 2,912
Is anyone else having connectivity issues with the configuration app? it seemed to work fine on my Nexus 6P, but since swapping over to my shiny new Pixel 2 XL it seems the app will only connect to the headphones IMMEDIATELY after being installed. The next day it can't find them at all until I reinstall the app, and suddenly it works. Possibly an Android 8 issue?

Back on the topic of the headphones themselves, after nearly a month of solid at-work usage they've broken in enough to be quite comfortable. In fact they're now about on par with the Oppo PM-3 I was coming from, just with different "breaking points". With the PM-3 I found myself occasionally adjusting because my ears would get too hot. With the PX I find myself adjusting them about as often (maybe once every 2 hours or so) but primarily due to the headband hotspot, I've had ZERO heat issues with these. The only caveat here is that the PX are MUCH more sensitive to placement. Adjusting them just so results in a better sound (related to the angled drivers I would guess) as well as improved comfort. The PM-3, on the other hand, had a near magical ability to ignore placement. I could literally pick them up, stretch them out a bit, and let the earcups go to just clap into place over my ears. As long as my ears ended up inside the cups, they were comfortable and sounded great. The PX can be nearly as good, they just require a BIT more work to get in place.

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:22 PM Post #804 of 2,912
Mine have had some 48 hours and are still improving..

Is anyone going to burn these for 30 hours? Like those burn in or run in tracks on YouTube? Bowers and Wilkins recommends 30 hours. Is this necessarily true?

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #805 of 2,912
If you mean the HD1 over ear, I'd suggest going for the PX. The HD1 (same hardware as the Momentum 2.0) is nearing 3 years old iirc. They sound great, but have pretty poor connection from my experience. They use BT4.0 (pretty old technology now) and don't have an option to listen via BT with ANC off. To top it off, the ANC isn't very strong and can't be adjusted.

Their MSRP is 650 CAD compared to the PX which are 480 CAD. Unless the HD1 came down in price quite a bit (which they occasionally do), I'd go for the more futureproof PX or PXC550 if you're attached to Sennheiser.

The HD1 do have a great, warm sound signature, but it's not worth all the other shortcomings imo.

That is sound logic. Thank you!

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #807 of 2,912
Nice... it does however say shipping will be delayed... how long will shipping delay?

I believe they ship out after a couple of days. Unfortunately Bowers and Wilkins was hassling me and not accepting my PayPal payment... So I bought one over at AudioAdvice.com

Shipped out 30 minutes after placing my order and I should get it in a couple of days.

Now hoping it isn't buggy as I'll be traveling for an extended period of time.

Can anyone recommend a hard case for these babies? I saw an earlier post on one but it didn't look like it would fit those.

Oct 31, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #808 of 2,912
I believe they ship out after a couple of days. Unfortunately Bowers and Wilkins was hassling me and not accepting my PayPal payment... So I bought one over at AudioAdvice.com

Shipped out 30 minutes after placing my order and I should get it in a couple of days.

Now hoping it isn't buggy as I'll be traveling for an extended period of time.

Can anyone recommend a hard case for these babies? I saw an earlier post on one but it didn't look like it would fit those.
I use headphones a lot going to and from work and never used a case with any headphones. I mean, what's the point? If they're break within 2 years it's under warranty. Just don't step on them and you're good.

Oct 31, 2017 at 6:26 PM Post #809 of 2,912
sorry to ask but can anyone link me to a comparison with p7 wireless to px, and also if possible compare it to beyerdynamic bluetooth that just came out

also is px now supposed to be the best there is for blouetooth

i have p7 wireless and are the ear pads in px as small p7w as those were not comfortable at all

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #810 of 2,912

Check out this Geekria case:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IZ9ZJ9Y/

Another forum member recommended them to me in msg. He chose them based on headphones dimensions. He commented that the case is nice but he didn't receive headphones yet to check exact fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back