Bowers & Wilkins PX Noise-Cancelling Over-ears
Oct 28, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #751 of 2,912
Oh, I've tried them all, I'm just saying that anyone who can actually tell the difference between AptX and AptX-HD all other things equal likely has extraordinary equipment and sources first and hearing second, and this fact is routinely proven in blind A/B tests. I'm only posting this for people like me who wonder if, blind, they could really tell the difference between high res and CD quality or "If AptX-HD is worth it over AptX." I've done a few of these large A/B tests with people and zero people can tell any difference blind.

But, again, in real life there are a zillion factors in the equipment chain that impact things, not to mention placebo effect which is a real thing - so if you're happy that's all that counts and that makes it all worth it.

There's no right answer or set up, except for the one that makes us the most happy, and all things equal I'd take the PX with AptX HD over just AptX.
I don't even know if my exynos note 8 has aptx lol

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:51 PM Post #752 of 2,912
All I want is a comfortable audiophile-quality wireless headphone with AAC codec support. Will be picking these up on Cyber Monday if there are no other options. Though I will admit Bose and Sony’s offerings do sound better than expected and mostly tick those boxes.

Sennheiser’s Momentum headphone is so close to being perfect but it’s missing that last bit of clarity it would have with Apple devices if it supported AAC.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 6:05 AM Post #754 of 2,912
Oh, I've tried them all, I'm just saying that anyone who can actually tell the difference between AptX and AptX-HD all other things equal likely has extraordinary equipment and sources first and hearing second, and this fact is routinely proven in blind A/B tests. I'm only posting this for people like me who wonder if, blind, they could really tell the difference between high res and CD quality or "If AptX-HD is worth it over AptX." I've done a few of these large A/B tests with people and zero people can tell any difference blind.

But, again, in real life there are a zillion factors in the equipment chain that impact things, not to mention placebo effect which is a real thing - so if you're happy that's all that counts and that makes it all worth it.

There's no right answer or set up, except for the one that makes us the most happy, and all things equal I'd take the PX with AptX HD over just AptX.
My experience is that differences between devices (iPhone/DAP/Android phone) are bigger than aptX and aptX HD.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:09 AM Post #755 of 2,912
All I want is a comfortable audiophile-quality wireless headphone with AAC codec support. Will be picking these up on Cyber Monday if there are no other options. Though I will admit Bose and Sony’s offerings do sound better than expected and mostly tick those boxes.

Sennheiser’s Momentum headphone is so close to being perfect but it’s missing that last bit of clarity it would have with Apple devices if it supported AAC.
I tried the PX the store with my iPhone 7 and an A&K AK70 with high res files. iPhone over AAC sounded better to my ears. The Momentum had more V-shape. The PX is more natural but it's vivid and musical. The highs are very clean with my iPhone. To my ears the PX is the best bluetooth headphone I've heard.

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #756 of 2,912
I tried the PX the store with my iPhone 7 and an A&K AK70 with high res files. iPhone over AAC sounded better to my ears. The Momentum had more V-shape. The PX is more natural but it's vivid and musical. The highs are very clean with my iPhone. To my ears the PX is the best bluetooth headphone I've heard.

How does the comfort compare? Momentum is very mid-centric with a slight bass boost and a veiled treble, it’s actually the total opposite of a V-shape :).

Oct 29, 2017 at 7:34 AM Post #757 of 2,912
How does the comfort compare? Momentum is very mid-centric with a slight bass boost and a veiled treble, it’s actually the total opposite of a V-shape :).
V-shape with rolled off treble yes :L3000:
The Momentum's are lighter than the PX. You should try yourself because the shape of your head and ears are different from others. I had the P7W and didn't like the headband. The PX is way better but I only listened in the shop. I will receive my PX in a week.

Oct 29, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #759 of 2,912

Spot on ...

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #762 of 2,912
Ah, I misread @GrussGott as referring to the 1000x with the price being lower because of the issues Sony had so quickly that it explained why Sony released a MK2 so quickly and why stores are clearing out the older 1000X inventory.

Yeah, I haven’t seen P7W discounted anywhere like that, unfortunately, and I’ve been checking a lot because I’ve been hoping with the release of the PX that I could pick up the P7W at a nicely discounted price.

FYI - If you have Verizon Smart Rewards points (the program which is ending soon) you can get the P7W for $260 plus tax:

Item: Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless Over-Ear Hi-Fi Headphones
Quantity: 1
Retail Price: $399.98
You Pay: $259.98

Oct 30, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #763 of 2,912
I think the padding is very sufficient on top. I have no problems with the headband. Not sure why you think it's not much of a padding.

I guess that's why it is the way it is... the test group/designers must have had no issue with the padding. Everyone's heads are different. For me, my gf, a few other people on this thread... the PX headband quickly creates a hotspot. I agree the earpads on PX are great. Impressive passive isolation, barely heat up compared to other over ears, plenty enough padding there.

Comfort wouldn't be a problem if I didn't enjoy the headphones over all... I can agree with others who say this is the best sounding BT HP they've heard. I have only checked out ANC BT HP but PX easily sounds the best of the bunch. The more I listen/compare with the PM-3, the more I'm realizing how shy the PM-3 is in the high mids and highs. TMA2 S02E06 still has the "best" which for me is the most balanced FR of the bunch and smooth transitions between each frequency range.

For comfort comparison, 1000mx2 has a lush plush padding section covering the new metal headband. TMA2 H03 has a dreamy amount of padding and is still light. For reference I do get a hotspot with the TMA2 H01 band. PM-3 is a heavy headphone but the padding and shape of the band works for me, I'm never sore from it.

Oct 30, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #764 of 2,912
I guess that's why it is the way it is... the test group/designers must have had no issue with the padding. Everyone's heads are different. For me, my gf, a few other people on this thread... the PX headband quickly creates a hotspot. I agree the earpads on PX are great. Impressive passive isolation, barely heat up compared to other over ears, plenty enough padding there.

Comfort wouldn't be a problem if I didn't enjoy the headphones over all... I can agree with others who say this is the best sounding BT HP they've heard. I have only checked out ANC BT HP but PX easily sounds the best of the bunch. The more I listen/compare with the PM-3, the more I'm realizing how shy the PM-3 is in the high mids and highs. TMA2 S02E06 still has the "best" which for me is the most balanced FR of the bunch and smooth transitions between each frequency range.

For comfort comparison, 1000mx2 has a lush plush padding section covering the new metal headband. TMA2 H03 has a dreamy amount of padding and is still light. For reference I do get a hotspot with the TMA2 H01 band. PM-3 is a heavy headphone but the padding and shape of the band works for me, I'm never sore from it.
Is that the Bluetooth TMA2 you're referring to? If so, how do they compare with the PX?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back