Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless - Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #1,547 of 1,955
I feel a little alone here..... I owned the P7W and loved it. I am always moving my gear around and buying and selling to try to find the perfect “all in one portable.” I’ve tried many sets in this price range including the following: Momentum wireless, momentum 2, beats studio 2, the B&W P7W, B&W PX, Oppo pm-3, Plantronics backbeat sense, Beyerdynamic T51i, beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm, master dynamic mh40, bang and olufsen wireless not noise canceling...can’t remeber the model, the Bose always gave me headaches from pressure of the NC, and the 1000xm2. can’t think of the rest....there’s been more.

My favorites on sound qaulity alone are the B&W P7W, and the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm. I wish beyer would make a wireless version of the dt 770. I think that would fit my perfect idea of a headphone.

One thing I always do to make sure my headphones are accurate is to watch movies on them. If a door shutting doesn’t sound like a door shutting then they are junk to me. It’s easier to forgive a headphone when listening to music, but when I’m watching movies if voices or sound effects are off then I can easily separate the good from the bad.

For now the B&W P7W are my idea of the best wireless headphone available...

I love the B&W P7W as well. After you mentioned the Beyerdynamic DT770 80ohm, I looked them up and people really seem to like them, and they're cheap! I'm actually thinking of buying them. How do they compare to the P7W?

Feb 19, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #1,548 of 1,955
Anyone here managed to listen to the Hifiman Sundara? Looking to venture into open back territory and these seem interesting. Im real tempted to pull the trigger but £450-500 is a lot when there is so few user feedback reviews.

I absolutely love the P7W and thinking the sundara maybe a nice complimentary at home set...

Thoughts??

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #1,550 of 1,955
Still have DT770, but i don't use them, and noone wants to buy them.. so i store it somewhere. They're not bad but not impressive to wear them BIG cans (so uncomfortable). If im supposed to wear fat cans, they better sound top notch.
Still rating them as better mid class: https://www.head-fi.org/posts/13642629/
Recently brought P7W to a listening session where folks brought all they got (usual headphones up to 1000$ like Senn HD, Shure etc), they were blown away with P7W. I was laughing they need to wear heavy phones with amplifier to produce worse sound..
P7 cable is in storage room too. Mission accomplished. Need no cables.

Feb 19, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #1,551 of 1,955
I have the DT 770 (250Ω) and the original wired P7.

Both are V-shaped cans, however P7 have a mild curve. The DT770 are brighter and tend to be gritty and shouty while P7's treble is articulate. The P7 has more and a bit loser bass in comparison.

The P7 is an awesome headphone.

Feb 19, 2018 at 3:13 PM Post #1,552 of 1,955
What’s weird is when I use the DT770 for movies, the sound of voices and pretty much everything else sounds way more natural compared to the P7W. On the other hand the P7W has that extra bass slam and impact that makes movies more exciting. There is a larger soundstage with the 770, but the treble does sound a little cleaner on the P7W. When I’m listening to music either one of them is a good listen. If beyerdynamic made a wireless version of the 770 it would be a pretty good matchup sound qaulity wise.

For some reason I don’t get the shouty/grainy nature a lot of people talk about with the 770, maybe because I don’t listen at high volumes?

My opinion as far as wireless headphones are concerned the P7W is still the best one ATM

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,555 of 1,955
“Hey B&W, you designed and built the best wireless headphones in the market. What are you going to do next?”

“Discontinue them!!!”

***facepalm***
So true it isn't funny really. Im hoping, that nothing goes wrong with mine. If they didn't stop producing them, they were such an easy choice to rush out and re-buy them if needs be. Real top notch build quality too, nothing feels flimsy with them, you don't baby them out of fear of them breaking, theyre leather and metal lol

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #1,556 of 1,955
If I had to make a hypothesis on why B&W discontinue their products it would be this:
They produce them on very high quality standards with expensive materials and launch them at a very high retail price.
However, when these very products start floating the market and many units become available used even at half their retail price (or lower), this situation renders them uneconomical and disadvantageous for the company to keep producing them at a given asking price. In other words, whatever goes ''out of fashion'' but still costs a premium to be built from the manufacturer, it is better to get ''extinct''.

That said, no wonder what happened with all their products so far. The MM1's, P5's, P7's, Zeppelin have all been discontinued and there should be a valid apparent reason for this.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,558 of 1,955
Has anyone compared the P7 to the Beryerdynamic Aventho? I had P7s and loved them but like many others sold them for the newest flavor of the month. Was thinking about going back to them but ended up taking a flyer on the Aventho. My initial impressions are that they compare very favorably to the P7. Perhaps a little more sparkle and balance on the high end, a little smoother in the mid range and a little less in the bass subbass region. They have a warm sound signature that reminds me of the P7. They aren't cheap but build quality is superb. I'd love to know if anyone else has done a direct compare.

Feb 25, 2018 at 8:02 PM Post #1,559 of 1,955
It wouldn't surprise me if the Aventho has better overall sound than the P7W. I don't expect a comparison to be forthcoming because over-ear vs. on-ear comparisons don't happen very often for good reasons. I, for one, do not use on-ear headphones because I wear eyeglasses and the discomfort outweighs any benefit. My P7Ws are perfect for use at work - The passive noise cancelling is effective enough without making it difficult for co-workers to get my attention.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,560 of 1,955
I thought the Aventho sounded pretty good. But like the P7W, it lacks ANC. So I did not end up buying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back