Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Sep 17, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 1,506
$400 is quite a bit of money, although they do look very nice.  One review stated they're better than the P5s, but not by a whole lot, and maybe not enough to justify the $100 price difference.

Sep 17, 2013 at 9:10 PM Post #5 of 1,506
Have you seen this?

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Headphones/Headphones/P7/explore.html

I just hope the way too dark sound from the little brothers is gone
smily_headphones1.gif

IMO, these sound quite a bit better than the P5 & P3.  Based purely on sound, they are probably somewhat overpriced, but that's not all you're paying for.  From a materials, design & build quality perspective they are some of the best headphones on the market.  On the design side that is obviously somewhat subjective, but they are definitely a complete package.    

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 1,506
The Momentums are, what, $350? The B&O H6 is $400. So the P7 coming in at $400 is about what the market seems to dictate for higher end over ear cans.

That said, I've been in the market for decent over ears that are comfortable and have good isolation that sound good. Active NC or just passive isolation does not bother me as long as SQ is not heavily compromised. I have tried a bunch of them. My main pair has been the MDR-1RNC since last fall. I've audtioned the H6 - very comfortable, by my Sony Walkman does not drive it well so it is a non-starter because I'm not carrying an amp. I'm currently auditioning teh Harman Kardon NC which actually isn't bad, but the P7 intrigues me a lot. If I can get something that sounds good (to me) in the P7, is as comfortable as the H6, and is pretty portable, it'll be a great combination. Remains to be seen, of course.

Sep 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM Post #7 of 1,506
  The Momentums are, what, $350? The B&O H6 is $400. So the P7 coming in at $400 is about what the market seems to dictate for higher end over ear cans.

That said, I've been in the market for decent over ears that are comfortable and have good isolation that sound good. Active NC or just passive isolation does not bother me as long as SQ is not heavily compromised. I have tried a bunch of them. My main pair has been the MDR-1RNC since last fall. I've audtioned the H6 - very comfortable, by my Sony Walkman does not drive it well so it is a non-starter because I'm not carrying an amp. I'm currently auditioning teh Harman Kardon NC which actually isn't bad, but the P7 intrigues me a lot. If I can get something that sounds good (to me) in the P7, is as comfortable as the H6, and is pretty portable, it'll be a great combination. Remains to be seen, of course.

FWIW, my above impression was based on a direct connection to an iPhone with lossless ALAC tracks.  It was also extremely comfortable.  Also, while the look of the Momentum definitely compares to the P7, I would say the materials and build quality on not quite on the same level as the P7.  Since I have a pretty high opinion of the Momentum, that is a significant statement.  I don't yet want to comment on the audible differences, but I will as soon as I get some more time to compare.   

Sep 18, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #8 of 1,506

FWIW, my above impression was based on a direct connection to an iPhone with lossless ALAC tracks.  It was also extremely comfortable.  Also, while the look of the Momentum definitely compares to the P7, I would say the materials and build quality on not quite on the same level as the P7.  Since I have a pretty high opinion of the Momentum, that is a significant statement.  I don't yet want to comment on the audible differences, but I will as soon as I get some more time to compare.  

I didn't fall in love with the Momentum so it went back (
http://www.head-fi.org/t/639292/master-noise-cancelling-shootout-sony-mdr-1rnc-vs-sony-mdr-nwnc200-vs-akg-k490nc-vs-bose-qc15-vs-sennheiser-momentum-vs-harman-kardon-nc#post_9714461). Too expensive just to 'keep around'. If these are like the H6 but better and/or drive the Walkman, they'll be a candidate.

Sep 18, 2013 at 1:19 PM Post #9 of 1,506
How much room does the P7 have for your ears, compared to the Momentum? Is the P7 truly "over ear", or just as narrow as the Momentum?

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #11 of 1,506
I hope these are not just P5's with new earpads. I would not want to shell out another $400 for the same phone with new pads.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #12 of 1,506
I actually like the p5 for what they are. $300 is a bit expensive nonetheless. Excited to see how these sound but it would have to be better than the momentums which i quite liked.

Sep 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #14 of 1,506
  I hope these are not just P5's with new earpads. I would not want to shell out another $400 for the same phone with new pads.

They are not.  

Driver is just another part of headphones. While it is important, it does not tell the whole story.

Considering people are buying MrSpeakers customized Fostex headphone for much higher price... and according to listeners, they are much better sounding despite same driver.

For closed phone, I found engineering a decent housing is just as crucial as driver due to nature of the sound wave.

Sep 18, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #15 of 1,506

Driver is just another part of headphones. While it is important, it does not tell the whole story.

Considering people are buying MrSpeakers customized Fostex headphone for much higher price... and according to listeners, they are much better sounding despite same driver.

For closed phone, I found engineering a decent housing is just as crucial as driver due to nature of the sound wave.

I wasn't saying they aren't the same just because of the new driver.  I have listened to both headphones and the P7 sounds different.  Better, IMO.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back