Bowers & Wilkins P7 - over the ear headphones
Jan 31, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #901 of 1,506
I picked mine up last night and I guess I'm the only ine that likes it without any "burn in"

Nope, I listened to mine for a little bit right out of the box via my Sansa Clip Zip (FLAC only) and then added my FiiO E11 to the mix and was pretty impressed. My wife was really impressed, and normally she couldn't care less about audio gear or new headphones so this surprised/stunned me. I then let them run for several days while plugged into either the Lyr, the Zdac's headphone amp or the Benchmade DAC1's amp and came away very, very pleased with my new headphones. I LOVE them, and I've never been a big fan of closed headphones so that's saying something.

Enjoy em'

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:24 PM Post #903 of 1,506
I'm trying to decide on the best way to go with for an amp/dac.  I am considering the FiiO E12 and the Dragonfly.  Any input would be appreciated.  The P7s sound great straight from source, just want to give them that little nudge in to greatness.  Also not looking to break the bank.  

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #904 of 1,506
I'm trying to decide on the best way to go with for an amp/dac.  I am considering the FiiO E12 and the Dragonfly.  Any input would be appreciated.  The P7s sound great straight from source, just want to give them that little nudge in to greatness.  Also not looking to break the bank.  

Mine sounds great just out of the Dragonfly. Haven't coupled it with my E12, but I'm on a E12 hiatus at the moment as I'm trying to see if it's related to my tinnitus.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #906 of 1,506
Thanks.  And pardon my ignorance, but does the Dragonfly increase volume as well?

I don't believe it does (though I've read in the past that it's got a mini amp - have to verify this), but we're also talking about the P7 here, which has an impedance of 22 ohms. I'm personally getting enough volume out of my Dell and the same with my Galaxy S4 via UAPP (set to hardware volume) thru an OTG cable.

Feb 1, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #910 of 1,506
Burn in is for the type A's out there (alot of them on this thread).   Imagine going to Best Buy/Magnolia and asking the salesperson "how long have these cans been burned in?"   Please, some engineer explain to me what burning in a set of anything (other then perhaps tubes) will have an audible effect?   Can you see Monster running an ad that reads "our superior cables are pre-burned in for your audio satisfaction"!!    
note: If marketing takes this and runs with it I want a percentage! 
wink_face.gif

trust only your ears...   
[tripping as I step off the box]

Feb 1, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #911 of 1,506
  Burn in is for the type A's out there (alot of them on this thread).   Imagine going to Best Buy/Magnolia and asking the salesperson "how long have these cans been burned in?"   Please, some engineer explain to me what burning in a set of anything (other then perhaps tubes) will have an audible effect?   Can you see Monster running an ad that reads "our superior cables are pre-burned in for your audio satisfaction"!!    
note: If marketing takes this and runs with it I want a percentage! 
wink_face.gif

trust only your ears...   
[tripping as I step off the box]

There's a statement behind all burn in types, the question is how big of an effect does it have?  When you burn in a pair of headphones (while not using them on your head) you do send current and run quite a few things: the cabling as well as the drivers.  The drivers themselves are moving parts that will become less rigid and move a little mores smoothly after they've been moving for a little while.  In many ways, it's like a pair of shoes, they become more flexible, and less rigid, with time and use.  This has been shown in measurements already, Tyll has found that if you do burn in a pair of headphones, distortion reduces. 

The other main thing that is run is the cabling.  If they aren't silver cables, copper is known to go through oxidation.  When it oxidizes, it takes conductive copper and turns it into non-conductive copper-oxide.  This can be seen on clear IEM cables easily (they turn green).  Additionally, it mainly oxidizes around the exterior of the copper (not internally).  This would reduce the cross-sectional area of the cabling and will impact the resistance the cable offers by reducing it (smaller cross-sectional, conductive area => more resistance).  Any change in sound would rely on the impedance curve of the driver assuming the resistance change is large enough. 

The above is what will happen to the components when you burn them in.  Whether or not it will be audible is questionable.  That is a question of intensity rather than just the fact that it happened.  Also to note, unless monster is burning in their analog cables, there is no reason to burn it in.  HDMI cables use digital transmission, it actually won't matter if the cable is burned in or not as digital only transfers bits rather than bits, amplitude, and frequency (what analog does). 

Feb 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #912 of 1,506
I'm certainly no expert when it comes to headphones, but I do know that at least "some" speaker drivers benefit from playing music and or white noise through them. If you've ever purchased a new pair of Magnepan's the manual/and the company will tell you that they require a certain amount time before the panel will loosen just a bit and perform their best. Maggies used for a week or so will have deeper/better bass than they will right out of the box. I have a couple pair of stand mount B&W's, and they also recommended x amount of run in time before the rubber surrounds would preform their best. The drivers inside the B&W P7 unlike most headphone drivers (usually a Mylar driver that will simply flex around the edges when playing) actually has a surround like we're use to seeing with regular stereo speakers. 

I have no doubt that the audiophile/music lover community has seen more than its share of products that may be little more than snake oil mixed with a dash of voodoo, but that doesn't mean that everything like "burn in time" are completely without merit. 

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #914 of 1,506
[COLOR=0000FF]Burn in is for the type A's out there (alot of them on this thread).   Imagine going to Best Buy/Magnolia and asking[/COLOR] [COLOR=0000FF]the salesperson "how long have these cans been burned in?"   Please, some engineer explain to me what burning in a set [/COLOR][COLOR=0000FF]of anything (other then perhaps tubes) will have an audible effect?   Can you see Monster running an ad that reads "our superior cables [/COLOR][COLOR=0000FF]are pre-burned in for your audio satisfaction"!!    [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF]note: If marketing takes this and runs with it I want a percentage! :wink_face: [/COLOR]

[COLOR=0000FF]trust only your ears...   [/COLOR]
[COLOR=0000FF][tripping as I step off the box][/COLOR]

There's always "some engineer I spoke to" involved in these statements, but just the fact that the driver needs to "loosen" up a bit doesn't really require any so-called expert to explain. In my case, I definitely heard a lot of sibilance demoing my pair at the store thru my X3. When I got them home, burned them in, the sibilance had completely smoothed out. You could say my brain burned in, but how could it when I didn't listen to the P7 between the first time (w/ sibilance) till after burn in (w/ no, much less sibilance). I wish I can brain-burn-in the sibilance away from my T90s on certain singers. :D

Feb 2, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #915 of 1,506
Well, even with a new motorcycle or often with new a car they're advise you to drive it conservatively (try not to gun it) for the first few hundred miles to allow certain engine parts to settle in. With most of my motorcycles they've had me bring it back into the dealership after about 300-500 miles so that they can change the break-in oil and replace it with the type it will use from then on. Audio gear (especially speaker drivers) isn't the only type of product that you're often advised to allow for a settle in period of time. 

I've heard with my own ears speakers sound different after playing music through them for a hundred hours or so. My AKG K701 headphones certainly sounded less sterile after having had music playing through them for a week or two and in every case it was not a matter of my ears adjusting to the sound because I didn't listen to any of them during the break in process.  

There will always be some that say that all amps/DAC's, if functioning properly, will sound the same or if it measures the same then it'll sound the same. Music is something that can/should/often does evoke emotion, and that makes it difficult to be able to measure all aspects of the device that plays back the music that brings about said emotion. Sometimes you may find it very easy to get lost in the music you have playing while other times the same exact same music doesn't grab your attention like before...does this mean that your gear is now measuring differently or more likely that you're simply in a differently state of mind? 

By the way, I'm really enjoying my P7's, and they sound great driven by the Schiit Audio Lyr. I was concerned that since the B&W P7's are pretty easy to drive that I'd hear hiss or tube noise from the Lyr but luckily I'm not having any issues like that at all. I've never required the volume control to be set beyond 10 o'clock and since my Lyr's channel balance is spot on all the way down to null they've worked wonderfully together. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back