Bowers & Wilkins P5 Mobile Headphones Review
Apr 1, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #166 of 178
  Lost left channel in my P5's and opened before sending them to be repaired (self caused issue). I couldn't find any information how to open them and after spendin a few hours looking at B&W release/ad video I understood the structure well enough to open them and see what was wrong. I located the problem to be in the element (I guess either the voice coil was bent due to drop or the magnet misaligned from pressure by the metal axle.) So I would avoid pressing the headphones too hard against the ears. The metal body looks a bit cheap imo, good thing the finish is great on the outside.

Did you ever get them fixed? I am purchasing these headphones next week and can't wait. :D

Jul 28, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #167 of 178
I know this is an old thread but I can't find anything related to the problem I'm having with my P5s
  Somewhere on the earpieces their is some glue leaking, I'm not sure if it is the glue that holds the Black cloth on the metal that you see when the pads are off, or else it's glue from the pads.  Some areas of the Black cloth are saturated with this sticky mess, some areas are dry!
  It's something that started to happen a couple of years ago, I use these mostly at work so they have seen daily use, but not too rough, and I have NOT spilled anything on them!
  All I can figure is that the adhesive has failed somewhere on these creating a sticky mess, but luckily it only shows when the pads are off!  However some of the gunk has gotten on the cable where it plugs in on the left hand side.
Also nothing seems to be peeling!
  I was wondering if I should email B&W and ask, it seems I am the only one who has this problem!  I bought these the day they came out from the Apple Store!  I never have good luck with things I buy when they first hit the market, something always goes wrong!
  This is pretty much the only thing preventing me from buying the P7s

Dec 21, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #168 of 178
Same thing here, exact same thing. It's a complete sticky, sloppy, disgusting mess under the pads. I took the pads off one day, and I was horrified. Luckily, aside from the disgusting sticky mess bleeding all over, they are unbelievably uncomfortable and SQ is not great, so I don't have much need to listen to them anymore. I've moved on to nicer cans.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #169 of 178
My P5s are the same way. Slimy and gross. I think the adhesive that bonds the cloth to the metal melts, but it's strange that it doesn't solidify again. Some of it actually migrated to the outer edges of the leather pads. It has sort of soured me on the headphones and B&W in general, sad to say.

Dec 22, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #171 of 178
My P5s are the same way. Slimy and gross. I think the adhesive that bonds the cloth to the metal melts, but it's strange that it doesn't solidify again. Some of it actually migrated to the outer edges of the leather pads. It has sort of soured me on the headphones and B&W in general, sad to say.

It's unbelievable that this happens to a pair of $300 phones. I bought the Senn HD598 and Beyer T90's since and haven't looked back. Totally different pair of cans from the B&W, but so much better in everyway, unless you need portability.

Dec 22, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #172 of 178
  Man, I just got a pair of these from Christmas sales, and I read back a couple of pages and I am seeing nothing but things going wrong with these, now I am not sure I want to open these up now!

To be fair, my P5s technically still work. They just gunk up my hair every on occasion :-\

It's unbelievable that this happens to a pair of $300 phones. I bought the Senn HD598 and Beyer T90's since and haven't looked back. Totally different pair of cans from the B&W, but so much better in everyway, unless you need portability.

I agree, ViolinsNVolta. It's unbelievable. Especially for the price, which is quite a bit (yes, I know there are cans that cost more than $300). Also, I agree that the 598s are excellent and want to try the T90s someday.

Dec 25, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #173 of 178
I wonder if this was a First Batch problem, who knows, but for such a well crafted pair of Headphones and for the cost it is just terrible!  The glue on mine has not migrated to the outside of the earphones luckily but I have relegated these to my work when they get very little use during the day
The P7s maybe be better phones but there is no way I'm going to waste anymore money on anything B&W that is made to questionable standards in China!

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #175 of 178
Hi,

It is indeed a first batch issue.

I had the same problem. Quite disappointed, I contacted the support from my country (Switzerland).

Within one day someone replied and apologized for that issue — which is apparently plaguing only the first series — before offering to exchange them free of charge with a brand new pair of P5 second generation.

They did not ask for anything, so I sent my cans in an envelope without any document or cable whatsoever and 5 days later I received the promised P5 series 2.

Needless to say that I’m quite glad with that solution. Maybe others can try to do the same thing as well.

Best,

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:52 AM Post #176 of 178
Hi guys,

(my first post on head-fi, yaaay!)

so, I own BW P5 for over 4 years.
After two years, both cables broke and the foam pads were worn out and uncomfortable. These two issues were taken care of during a warranty repair.
Now, after another two years, the left cup died totally and service center told me, that repair would cost 150 €...which is like 50% of the original price...needless to say, i think i can buy new and better earphones for this price now. Right?

I am not willig to pay this much for a repair, but I also do not want do throw away such a beatiful piece of hifi equipment. I would like try to repair them by myself, but I am not able to identify the drivers in them. Im thinking maybe, i could change both drivers completely for some chinese ones from aliexpress. Sure, i do not think that they will play the same or better, but I would like to make it more like a DIY project. 

What do you think? Does anyone posses any info about those drivers?

P.S. I've always thought that buying headphones from such a famous brand as BW will be a one time investment...sadly, I made a horrible mistake.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:23 PM Post #177 of 178
Now, after another two years, the left cup died totally

Sorry to bump an old thread, but did you end up resolving this issue?

I have had this issue on two pairs of P5's, first was replced under warranty and now the replacement set has suffered the same fate. I cannot seem to find the issue but I am reluctant to spend money on these things as the quality control and service at B&W is just too poor for me to invest more cash into them.

P.S. I've always thought that buying headphones from such a famous brand as BW will be a one time investment..
For me it really is, buy them once and never again!

Nov 10, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #178 of 178
Well it's been years since I last replied, but about 2 months ago the Left Channel died! a few years ago I removed the cloth and most of the Gooey broken down adhesive and used them daily, I really enjoyed the Isolation they gave me at work, but now they are garbage! I don't know how to get into the ear-cup and find out what happened! I had emailed B&W about the adhesive issue years ago and they responded by saying it was out of warranty! Now it looks like they don't even make the Wired version of these anymore, but regardless I won't be getting anymore B&W phones again! My home computer headphones are the Sennheiser HD598s and they have never given me any problems!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back