Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Jul 16, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #1,816 of 2,020
Nice setup, looks like a great room. I also really like B&W. I owned the P7 wireless, the PX (although I returned them due to comfort issues) and I have an old pair of classic DM220 speakers that I don't use. I actually had a nice Kanto set YU5s and the Sub to go along with them. I agree the consumer tuning wasn't optimum, but in the desktop setup that I used them for they did the trick well enough. Never did try equalizing them but I suspect that you're right that with EQ they would sound brilliant for the price. Currently speaker wise I am using Monitor Audio PL200s supported by two little REL TZero subs, but the room is quite small so haven't bothered even looking at room nodes. Things generally sound quite nice and I do nearfield so no real issues that I have noticed. The bass is powerful generally, but that was to be expected and I listen at moderate volumes these days.

Nice, lots of fun stuff! I have other setups around my house. I’ve been into this hobby since I was 14 (now in my mid-40s), around the same time I started playing guitar. I try to flip stuff but usually I’m too busy. I have a near-field ML Montis setup in the basement on a PrimaLuna DiaLogue HP+ that’s sitting in front of my sim rig so I can blast music. It’s not an optimal setup, but the near field helps and the speakers have a bass control volume knob which was super helpful. Also, I have some Focal Be6 pro speakers that are quite enjoyable that I’ll probably let my son use.

The living room pic is a HT setup I integrated into part of the living room. A screen comes down from the ceiling (I need to put a curtain box over it but haven’t had time...). If I want to listen alone, I move one of the Eames chairs out and center the other one, but otherwise we watch A LOT of movies. I couldn’t believe how close to the wall I had to go with the D3s to get it to meld with the room reinforcement nodes.

Jul 26, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #1,817 of 2,020
Picked these up today at john lewis for £415 in their clearance.

Wow! They're good, even better than my Momentum 3s to my ear. Have you guys got any good recommendations to drive these things, DAC wise? I've never owned a DAC but these bad boys seem to be worth it.

Jul 26, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #1,820 of 2,020
Anything a bit more moderately priced that could work well you think? Those are £400 here
How about the FiiO Q5s? That would be my suggestion and I own it and have owned the Mojo.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #1,822 of 2,020
The P9 is super easy to drive. Something like the Fiio K5 will do absolutely fine.

IIRC, I was even able to drive the P9 straight from the iPhone without any issues. It’s one of the things that actually makes these a fairly decent travel headphone.

I never looked into it, but if there are EQ apps for the iPhone that can iron out some of the bass hump, it would actually be an excellent travel headphone. I know they have apps like that for the PC that I use with my YU2 speakers, but not sure about for iPhone.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #1,823 of 2,020
IIRC, I was even able to drive the P9 straight from the iPhone without any issues. It’s one of the things that actually makes these a fairly decent travel headphone.

I never looked into it, but if there are EQ apps for the iPhone that can iron out some of the bass hump, it would actually be an excellent travel headphone. I know they have apps like that for the PC that I use with my YU2 speakers, but not sure about for iPhone.

Yeah they’re going great from my old iphone 6s. Quite a wonderful sound, I’m suprised these didn’t get more attention.

The reason I want a DAC partly is because the headphones don’t plug directly into my iphone XS or ipad Pro, as neither have a jack. I may get a bluetooth DAC, if I can find a good enough one, to fix the issue.

Jul 27, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,824 of 2,020
Yeah they’re going great from my old iphone 6s. Quite a wonderful sound, I’m suprised these didn’t get more attention.

The reason I want a DAC partly is because the headphones don’t plug directly into my iphone XS or ipad Pro, as neither have a jack. I may get a bluetooth DAC, if I can find a good enough one, to fix the issue.

B&W do an official cable with a lightning connector

Jul 27, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #1,825 of 2,020

I'm not sure how a wireless DAC helps you in regard to the P9. I suspect you meant a Bluetooth enabled DAC/amp so that you could stream from your iPhone. Many great choices out there now, and the Q5s that I suggested earlier is an excellent example of well implemented Bluetooth in a DAC/amp.

Jul 27, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,826 of 2,020
I'm not sure how a wireless DAC helps you in regard to the P9. I suspect you meant a Bluetooth enabled DAC/amp so that you could stream from your iPhone. Many great choices out there now, and the Q5s that I suggested earlier is an excellent example of well implemented Bluetooth in a DAC/amp.
Thanks for the recommendation mate, that looks great. And indeed i’m looking for something to stream from my phone via bluetooth, and my ipad, as neither have a jack but they both have different jacks (ipad has uSB c iphone lightning) so as good as the bowers and wilkins lightning cable looks, I can’t be bothered with the faff of getting a lightning to USB C and carrying it everywhere with me. DAC seems like a far better option tbh, especially as so many people mention it adds to the sound.

Jul 27, 2020 at 5:53 PM Post #1,827 of 2,020
Thanks for the recommendation mate, that looks great. And indeed i’m looking for something to stream from my phone via bluetooth, and my ipad, as neither have a jack but they both have different jacks (ipad has uSB c iphone lightning) so as good as the bowers and wilkins lightning cable looks, I can’t be bothered with the faff of getting a lightning to USB C and carrying it everywhere with me. DAC seems like a far better option tbh, especially as so many people mention it adds to the sound.
The Q5s is pretty solid, I love it and have used it with several headphones, and all to great effect. If you are at all interested I would also recommend getting the AM3D THX AAA amp module. The stock AM3E module that comes with it is quite nice, but the THX module has an extremely low noise floor. FiiO is pretty darn good at implementing the AKM chips and they also seem to really take Bluetooth seriously. I have owned both the Q5 and Q5s and I have been very satisfied. The Q5s with the stock or AM3D module should be more than capable of driving the P9 extremely well. I would also consider getting a 4.4mm terminated cable for the P9 as not just FiiO support it as an output, but it appears to be almost universally supported now.

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:57 AM Post #1,828 of 2,020
The Q5s is pretty solid, I love it and have used it with several headphones, and all to great effect. If you are at all interested I would also recommend getting the AM3D THX AAA amp module. The stock AM3E module that comes with it is quite nice, but the THX module has an extremely low noise floor. FiiO is pretty darn good at implementing the AKM chips and they also seem to really take Bluetooth seriously. I have owned both the Q5 and Q5s and I have been very satisfied. The Q5s with the stock or AM3D module should be more than capable of driving the P9 extremely well. I would also consider getting a 4.4mm terminated cable for the P9 as not just FiiO support it as an output, but it appears to be almost universally supported now.

I didn’t realise it was possible to get a 4.4mm cable for the P9s. That would go great with my Sony WM1A

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #1,829 of 2,020
Hi Guys, I’ve just picked these up used on amazon for £299, I’ve checked the back of the ear cups and the top of the headband for plastic instead of leather to rule out a Knock off, but it’s kinda hard to tell as if it’s leather it’s very hard, also they’re very microphonic when I touch any part of the headphone, is this normal?
Cheers Marty.

Aug 21, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #1,830 of 2,020
Hi Guys, I’ve just picked these up used on amazon for £299, I’ve checked the back of the ear cups and the top of the headband for plastic instead of leather to rule out a Knock off, but it’s kinda hard to tell as if it’s leather it’s very hard, also they’re very microphonic when I touch any part of the headphone, is this normal?
Cheers Marty.
The leather is extremely thin, and tightly stretched over the plastic parts, so even the genuine headphone (I've not heard of any fakes) will have a very tough surface finish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back