Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Sep 8, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #16 of 2,020
  I suppose it doesn't look as bad as in the first picture. It might look nice actually.

Indeed, they don't look half bad.
Just a shame their TOTL can comes with such a thin cable and a smartphone cable for god sakes. And they seemed to not have been aware Apple uses lightning cables for phones from now on. Audeze has two models connecting through lightning already. Not that I care, I don't connect my phones to my iPhone or iPad anyway.

Sep 8, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #17 of 2,020

Just a shame their TOTL can comes with such a thin cable and a smartphone cable for god sakes.

Yeah.  I'm really disappointed by this too.  What was B&W thinking?! 

I guess they are trying to target the ultra-premium wired-headphone smartphone user, but after yesterdays announcement of the iPhone 7, that already small demographic is going to start to vanish pretty quickly.

So that will only leave the regular headphone enthusiast market, who will hate the idea of a pair of $900 headphones only being able to use a thin, single-sided, proprietary cable.

And it looks like these might even be open-back.  And if that's true, then the P9 would be primarily intended for at-home use, and would make the decision to use a single-sided, non-upgradable cable even more baffling.
mad.gif

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #18 of 2,020

Yeah.  I'm really disappointed by this too.  What was B&W thinking?! 

I guess they are trying to target the ultra-premium wired-headphone smartphone user, but after yesterdays announcement of the iPhone 7, that already small demographic is going to start to vanish pretty quickly.

So that will only leave the regular headphone enthusiast market, who will hate the idea of a pair of $900 headphones only being able to use a thin, single-sided, proprietary cable.

And it looks like these might even be open-back.  And if that's true, then the P9 would be primarily intended for at-home use, and would make the decision to use a single-sided, non-upgradable cable even more baffling.
mad.gif

Yep, and it won't be possible to put a thicker gauge cable in, I had the P7 and there is a conduit where the cable needs to paas through.
Still curious about how they will sound though, the P7 was actually really good for it's price.

Sep 8, 2016 at 1:25 PM Post #19 of 2,020

Still curious about how they will sound though, the P7 was actually really good for it's price.

The only real potential "upside" (if you can call it that) is if they end up sounding amazing (which is a really big if).

If that's the case, then that might be enough to warrant a purchase.

Sep 8, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #20 of 2,020
It looks like Amazon has removed the listing for the P9. 
confused.gif

But if you have the listing on a Wishlist (like me 
biggrin.gif
)​, it is still viewable and the release date has been changed to October 17th.

Sep 8, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #23 of 2,020
I'm pretty sure I can see brown leather through those open grades. I don't think it's semi open back.

If you have a Windows/Linux mouse and right-click the picture with the facing vents, pick "Open in New Tab" option, select the new tab, then zoom in on the top-right vents with the most lighting, it looks to be a gray-ish fabric behind the vents, though the whole grill is seperate from the ear cup on the other side of the picture, so it can still be anything.

Sep 22, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #28 of 2,020
Where is the P9???

Sep 30, 2016 at 7:08 PM Post #30 of 2,020
I was in Magnolia Best Buy the other day auditioning a few headphones and mentioned it would be nice if B&W had an upgrade to the P7. He said to give him a minute and he came back with, we will have the P9 within a few weeks. He even showed me the order in the system. Hope they will have a demo unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back