1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by redogfizbal, Sep 6, 2016.
First

Back
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110
  1. Sonic Defender Contributor
    Me too, sold the P7W. I have heard the P9 and it can be lovely. I would likely trim some of the bass surgically with an EQ, but even stock with the right material the P9 could be mesmerizing.

2. Earbones
    Can anyone suggest a nice hard case for the P9’s? I know of a lot of nice cases for non-folding cans, but nothing is coming to mind for folding cans. Folders always seem to have proprietary cases...

3. TooFrank
    Just curious. What’s wrong with the proprietary case? To me it is really fine.

4. Earbones
    Seriously? It’s not a hard case, man. :wink:

5. Earbones
    Has anyone listened to both the P9 and the Oppo PM-1 / PM-2? Comparisons? Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. Duffius
    I think their strongest point is that you get decent sound straight from your music device (for example iPhone or iPad). Althought the bass is a bit heavy for my taste.
    When plugged into proper DAC/AMP combo (used: Woo Audio WA6 SE + Meier Audio StageDAC and Teac UD-H01) the improvement of sound quality is not substantial (to my ears at least).

7. netdog
    Yes, these are very fit-for-purpose as iOS cans. I also bought the PX for noise cancellation on planes (headphones not specifically designed for iOS so much as for mobile devices in general), and I don't think the PXs succeed nearly as well wtih my iPhone.

8. Duffius
    How does PX sound compare to P9? (I am looking of buying NC headphones myself. I have my eyes on Sony XM3.)

9. Jazz1
    oops sorry my mistake. didn't me to make this a reply.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 at 4:02 PM
  10. Sonic Defender Contributor
    I owned the PX and currently own the xM3. I suspect the xM3 would be the better choice for many, but that choice is of course very subjective in nature. The PX sound beautiful in my opinion, but they were very uncomfortable in my experience, and for many others based on comments I have read here and elsewhere. The xM3 needs equalization to cut out some bass bloat, but once done I personally think they sound just as nice as the PX. The xM3 are also so much more comfortable and the NC is considered to be the current top of the heap.

There are issues with the xM3 such as odd touch control pad behaviour when exposed to cold air (winter cold not just a cool evening). If you have any comfort sensitivity make sure that if you try the PX that you can return them. I really wanted to keep the PX, before it I had also owned the P7 wireless and had the P9 on hand for several weeks and in general really like the B&W sound based on those experiences. I would say that the xM3 is closer to the P9 sound than is the PX, but that is a general impression and not one based on current comparisons. The xM3 is bass tilted and warm sounding which I think is a similar approach taken with the P9. The PX is more detailed, but not sterile. The xM3 really does need the bass cut, but simply shines when this has been done.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 at 4:05 PM
  11. Earbones
    I own the xM3, it’s my go-to work/travel headphone.

When it comes to noise cancelling headphones, the big question that must be addressed before you even get into the sound is the noise-cancelling tech. Do you need the best available? Can you get away with “just decent” NC? If so, awesome. You have a lot more options to play around with. If, however, you need the best NC available, the number of choices dwindles. To be exact, there are three choices. The Bose QC25, the Bose QC35, and the xM3. That’s realistically it. And don’t believe the hype or reviews on some of the other NC cans out there... All the other NC cans currently on the market aren’t “slightly less effective” in this department. They are miles away. The next closest can is a major step or two behind these three. It’s like a North Korean fighter jet versus whatever is coming out of Area 51 Skunkworks next year.

I needed the best NC, so I owned the Bose for years. Superb in that department, but the sound was only ever “better than terrible”. With the xM3, Sony finally cracked the NC tech issue, and for the first time ever, there is a can that competes with Bose head-to-head in NC. And on top of that, it has a decent sound sig. It’s not amazing by regular can standards. It’s definitely a very dark, very bassy can. The bass bloom can certainly bleed, and there can be occasional muddying issues because of that. But it has lovely, liquid treble, and nice, slightly forward, “detailed-enough” mids. It would be a very decent regular, non-NC can. I know “very decent” doesn’t exactly thrill, but the fact that a can of this caliber is even in the top-tier NC tech conversation is groundbreaking, since it’s just been Bose with their “meh” cans for so long.

That all said, again, if NC is not your top priority, and you are willing to take a significant drop in NC performance, there are many, many cans to explore. I heard a Sennheiser I really liked (can’t remember the model, believe it was their flagship NC can)... It sounded like a closed-back HD5xx. Of course the NC was terrible, little more than a veil. Like throwing a heavy blanket over your head while standing in a Best Buy Magnolia, ha ha. But for many people, that’s all they need. YMMV.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019 at 5:08 PM
    Jazz1 likes this.
First

Back
101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110