Bowers&Wilkins new flagship the P9!
Sep 5, 2018 at 11:12 AM Post #1,621 of 2,022
I have been reading this thread since the P9s were released and I realized the reaction was very mixed.
I have no doubt that there are those that are not happy with them.
But watching the video, it smells of someone going out of their way to slam them instead of review.
The whole, Apple store shoppers with too much money are the ones giving high ratings, etc.
$4 headphones blow them away.
Not mentioning any specific conditions or source music used for the review.
I give it equal weight as the dude that gets all their tech for free and everything is the best.

I posted that video as well before in this thread, it might be buried somewhere in. I suspect he had a Chinese fake one. Either this or he is unable to distinguish leather and plastic. Whatever the case, I consider this video irrelevant and it will not spoil my enjoyment of the P9 :)

Ok cool.
So you both just proved my point about opinion denial. Thanks.

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #1,622 of 2,022
Ok cool.
So you both just proved my point about opinion denial. Thanks.

Hi! I think you posted while I was typing my reply so I did not see it. Nah, I am not "denying" opinions. I believe an opinion can be seen as relevant or not-relevant for oneself, that's all. I understand that you don't like the P9, and you have a point with the P9's sound signature. But that video is so strong, so over the top, and at the same time not corresponding with my listening experience that I just chose to ignore. Not denying but making choices.... :)

Or would you agree - despite not liking the P9 - that they are "the worst headphones ever made", as stated in the video? It's a strong and in my eyes invalid statement which I can not relate to.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #1,623 of 2,022
Hi! I think you posted while I was typing my reply so I did not see it. Nah, I am not "denying" opinions. I believe an opinion can be seen as relevant or not-relevant for oneself, that's all. I understand that you don't like the P9, and you have a point with the P9's sound signature. But that video is so strong, so over the top, and at the same time not corresponding with my listening experience that I just chose to ignore. Not denying but making choices.... :)

Or would you agree - despite not liking the P9 - that they are "the worst headphones ever made", as stated in the video? It's a strong and in my eyes invalid statement which I can not relate to.
But you suspect he has a fake Chinese product. That's a strong suggestion that you believe his opinions to be invalid.
It doesn't seem like you chose to ignore it at all, since you just responded multiple times.

I don't really mind that the video is over the top. Youtube and reviewing in general can often be too lukewarm. People also want to be entertained.
Since his opinion very closely mirrored my experiences I thought it was worth sharing. (And I certainly have not been exposed to a Chinese fake).

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:36 AM Post #1,624 of 2,022
But you suspect he has a fake Chinese product. That's a strong suggestion that you believe his opinions to be invalid.
(And I certainly have not been exposed to a Chinese fake).

Yes, I suspected that because he concluded them "to be the worst ever". Whereas I am sure the strong bass is a point to criticize for some (some call them beats deluxe, which kind of hits it as an expression) I for sure cannot think anybody claiming to be a professional reviewer would come to that conclusion. At the same time, he rambles on about the sticky plastic on top, which in fact is leather and not sticky. But I read in amazon reviews warning of Chinese knock-offs which especially mention their sticky surface and plastic instead of leather headband top. Thats why.

But I of course don't dismiss your personal experience including your point with build quality. Mine seems very sturdy, but what was your specific issue?

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #1,625 of 2,022
Yes, I suspected that because he concluded them "to be the worst ever". Whereas I am sure the strong bass is a point to criticize for some (some call them beats deluxe, which kind of hits it as an expression) I for sure cannot think anybody claiming to be a professional reviewer would come to that conclusion. At the same time, he rambles on about the sticky plastic on top, which in fact is leather and not sticky. But I read in amazon reviews warning of Chinese knock-offs which especially mention their sticky surface and plastic instead of leather headband top. Thats why.

But I of course don't dismiss your personal experience including your point with build quality. Mine seems very sturdy, but what was your specific issue?
The top of the headband just started to come off, revealing some very shoddy craftsmanship.
Really weird to see so much care, attention and good design on the P3,5 and 7, and then high-school leather craftsmanship on the P9.
It's literally just tucked in behind other parts and glued in place, so it's not a very robust solution at all. Especially for something that's supposed to be handled and worn daily.

Sep 5, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #1,626 of 2,022
The top of the headband just started to come off, revealing some very shoddy craftsmanship.
Really weird to see so much care, attention and good design on the P3,5 and 7, and then high-school leather craftsmanship on the P9.
It's literally just tucked in behind other parts and glued in place, so it's not a very robust solution at all. Especially for something that's supposed to be handled and worn daily.

I see. I use mine for jogging and the gym, so I will see how this works out in the long run ... so far, so good. However, I also remember somebody writing that his p7 melted in the sun (glue issue as well)... made in china, all bowers stuff, that is. But strange that this issue would show in a shop already!

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #1,627 of 2,022
Glue issues happen even in the highest price classes. Hell, even Campfire Audio had glue issues with some high end models. It's unfortunate, but most manufacturers handle glue-issue-reclamations quite generously.

To the review: If someone is reviewing a Porsche 911, starting the review with "this car costs 200k and is still made of cheap paper and tinfoil", he would disqualify himself pretty obviously, wouldn't he? And then he would end his review with "this Porsche is trumped by 1.6l VW Golf" ...you probably get my point.

And then he comes up with an issue that has never ever been reported anywhere else. Sibilance. I'm pretty treble-sensitive and dismissed many top-tier IEMs/Headphones because of that. And I can't for the love of the emperor detect any sibilance in this headphone.

And I firmly believe that there are no Chinese ripoffs. Most people are just poor in distinguishing certain materials. I agree that the stamped leather can be mistaken for plastic. That's because leather imitations became so well and many people don't care about real leather any more. If you're wearing your shoes, bags, jackets and belts made of plastic, how could you know how the real thing feels?

Sorry for the rant

Sep 5, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #1,628 of 2,022
And I firmly believe that there are no Chinese ripoffs. Most people are just poor in distinguishing certain materials. I agree that the stamped leather can be mistaken for plastic. That's because leather imitations became so well and many people don't care about real leather any more. If you're wearing your shoes, bags, jackets and belts made of plastic, how could you know how the real thing feels?

That's from a statement by Bowers & Wilkins

"Bowers & Wilkins has found counterfeit versions of its products available for sale, including on popular auction websites. These fakes might look very similar, but they sound nothing like the real thing"
https://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Shop/counterfeit-products.html

I do believe it since I have seen Chinese knock-off products of many high-end products including headphones myself.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #1,629 of 2,022
The P9's are not as bad the guy in the video is making them out to be. Heck, this is my second pair of P9's that I have owned. They can be a little picky of source but that's about it.

I found they pair best with neutral to warmer sounding amps. They don't need a ton of power to sound their best either. I enjoyed them with the FiiO X7 MKII With AM3B amp module, the iFi Micro iDSD BL, the Oppo HA-2SE, and the CEntrance DACPortable. I didn't like them that much with the Chord Mojo or my Hugo 2. I thought the P9's became to treble happy with those amps.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #1,630 of 2,022
I think it's fair to give a strongly negative review considering the failures at such a high price point.
Honestly it makes things a bit more interesting. I'm getting bored of the vast majority sort of liking most things a bit for different reasons, and putting those differences down to taste.
If you hate something, speak up I say. If you're going to be lukewarm, neutral or polite about a headphone, at least have a reason to be neutral or indifferent.

Sep 5, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #1,631 of 2,022
I think headphones like these, catering to the higher end "lifestyle" segment, will always be polarizing especially for headphone enthusiasts. I do really like mine, although I feel they are overpriced by at least $200 for what you ultimately get. But they're certainly not terrible or the worst headphones I've tried even in their price category.

(Touch wood) I haven't experienced any build or comfort issues with regular use.

They can't hold a candle to my Auteur Teak or LCD-X, but I enjoy them for casual/bedtime listening via my phone which these days is most of my listening time.

Sep 27, 2018 at 1:37 AM Post #1,635 of 2,022
I bought a pair of P9s earlier in the week and am blown away by the quality. I've only started to dip my tie in to the Audiophile world and am not well versed in the finer points of good and bad. I just know that they sound ridiculously good when I'm sitting at my computer in the office each day.

I do have one query - can anyone confirm what functionality the app has with the P9s once they're connected via lightning cable? the ones I bought didn't come with one, and I don't see what the app can do re: wear sensor and noise cancelling as these are what come only in the PX.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back