Bout to pull the trigger on the HD650 for my first open can..talk me into a different open can
Jun 30, 2011 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Rock702

New Head-Fier
rather new to this thing. first decent purchase was srh840 about 6 months ago. now rocking srh940(which i absolutely love) for home and hd25 1 II for on the go. my amp/dac is the e7/e9 combo which i am rather happy with for now. will the e7/e9 be powerful enough to decently drive the hd650 or should i go with another open  can with this setup?  i crave so much for this open headphone sound you all speak of haha. thanks for the help.

budget can not exceed $500

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 17
HD598

I think you're trying to save keep as much money to you, as a comparison. they are very close HD598 vs HD650:

HD598, $180 from J&R, better bass, better looks, more durable, IMO

HD650, more clear highs, wider mids, bass kinda rolls off. But eh HD598's bass does also, just not as bad.

I chose the HD598 over the HD650 because the value and it's about the same. The looks still doesn't matter, but to my ears and the price, the HD598 won the fight easily. You won't get much more going to the HD650. And since Senn are laid back, the sound doesn't hit you, and I don't see them as pure listening headphones. I like mine while I'm busy because the music is there, but doesn't drag me away from what I'm doing. The HD650 is more passive, so it would be worse for me.

Save your money and upgrade your amp! Tube amps are always nice.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:40 AM Post #3 of 17
Completely disagree, have you heard the hd650 BotByte?

The HD650 bass does not roll off at all, all the way down to 20Hz it still has neutral bass, The hd650 extend past what you can hear.

As for the highs, the hd650 are famous for their veiled highs, and frequency response backs this up, it results in a mellow listening experience.

As for the OP, the hd650 are a wonderful headphones, so are the hd600. I would analyze your taste between the 2, the hd600 have slightly less bass, and i mean SLIGHTLY, but much more neutral highs, and the mids around 3k Hz are a little more pronounced.

I prefer the hd600, plenty prefer either, choose whichever you think will compliment your music better.

Best of luck :)
As for what to expect, a long time ago I went from the d2000's to the hd650's, open air phones tend to have more "texture" to the music, the mids on the hd650/600 series are wonderful, and they will definitely impress you.

Edit: For your reference

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:43 AM Post #4 of 17
Hmm... I'd have to listen to the HD650 once more. I swear I thought I spotted some bass roll. It might have been the no name amp they were plugged into.

Never tested the HD600 though, sadly enough no one I know has a pair. What's the difference of 650 vs 600?

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:46 AM Post #5 of 17
this is exactly why i made this thread. i want to sift through and see what my optons are. i listen to 50% 90s underground hiphop. the rest of my listening is metal, jazz and classical if that can help you help me.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 17
The hd600 are a more neutral headphone, slightly less bass, more neutral mids, and highs that actually exist, they are relatively flat across the board. While the hd650 have slightly more bass, a tiny mid recess around 3k, and recessed highs.

The hd600 are the better headphone in my opinion, the hd650 might fit some people preferences in music though.

Jun 30, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #7 of 17

Quote:
this is exactly why i made this thread. i want to sift through and see what my optons are. i listen to 50% 90s underground hiphop. the rest of my listening is metal, jazz and classical if that can help you help me.

It depends on how much exaggeration you want on your bass, I listen to some rap (very little) and when I do the hd600's extension and bass is more than enough for me, they punch when they need to, and extend much better than most headphones. I think the hd600's suit jazz better, and also classical.

If you want that extra bit of bass pump though, grab the hd650's, they are both great headphones, and they will last you a VERY long time while you upgrade your source and amp later.

Hope I helped, feel free to ask more questions, and take other peoples opinions too, best of luck :)

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:02 AM Post #8 of 17
thanks alot. i dont need more bass than what is natural..can i also mention that comfort is huge to me as i can currently only wear my srh940s for two hours max before resting. as of right now, the hd600 is sounding really appealing.

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 17
Unlike leather earpads, the sennheieser's cloth earpads don't make your ears sweat. They are definitely some of the most comfortable headphones, I wear mine all day long :)

If you have a larger head, you can stretch the headset out a bit, by placing a couple books between them while i sleep, some people with larger heads will feel a bit of clamping force but will be find after stretching the headband a bit. If you have a normal sized head, you'll find these supremely comfortable.

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:13 AM Post #10 of 17
yep, ive got a pretty big head. i did what you  suggested with the books with my hd25 as the clamping was killing me at first. they are good to go now. one final thing is how are the materials of the hd600 compared to the hd650?

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:55 AM Post #11 of 17
I Heard the 650 at best buy powered by some fancy peach tree tube amp and my iPod. I thought it was too dark and colored. I used to be a basshead and craved bass and I still do but being spoiled by my ulrasones 750 pros with kees mod and SR-80s with some upgraded pads It changed the way I listened to music . Having accurate bass seems to be the best way to go.I just bought a pair of RE0s, burned them in passed the 100hour mark i said ehh... its ok. I connected then decided to amp them with my mini3 for kicks and the difference was night and day. The lower end of the sound stage became much more pronounced and the mids were back. I guess the 1mw of power finally jarred them loose or maybe it was the earmold tips I had custom made who knows because THEY BROKE@! The right channel went out! I am so upset I emailed the Head DIrect and I have not received a reply. Can someone help me out here? I barely had them for 2 weeks and it just stopped working. I just ordered a pair of Brainwavz B2 with the fios 11 amp, I can wait to have a listen I hope the build quality is no where near as shoddy as the RE0s!!!

Jun 30, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #12 of 17
Pretty much the same, the hd650 look nicer in my opinion. Same materials just different color scheme. Here they all are in a line.

HD650 - HD600 - HD580

The hd580 and hd600 have the same drivers, just different casings but the hd580's are out of production. Sennheiser is good with parts, so you can always get any parts from any of these headphones and transplant them on your own, that's why I have HD580 with hd600 grill and hd650 cable (with the grill the hd580's don't look nearly as goofy, and actually look better than the hd600 imo), which is basically the same as a hd600 with hd650 cable.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 17
Talk you out of buying the single best open can on the market below $800? Why would I do you such a disservice?
biggrin.gif

The HD650 also scales extremely well, as you step up in DAC and AMP it will continue to do the system justice.

Jun 30, 2011 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 17

Quote:
Talk you out of buying the single best open can on the market below $800? Why would I do you such a disservice?
biggrin.gif

The HD650 also scales extremely well, as you step up in DAC and AMP it will continue to do the system justice.

In complete agreement, a worthwhile investment, as mentioned scales like a world champion. 

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #15 of 17
Get HD600's, buy a good DAC/amp and don't worry about gear from then on. They're seriously that good. The HD600's came off as more accurate, while the HD650s we're pleasing to listen to due to the tonality of it, it's just more warm and soothing. Clearly you can just doze off listening to them

HD600 with a Matrix Mini-i DAC/amp. Matrix's M-stage amp pairs extremely well with it. HD600/650's are not hard to drive, they're just very rewarding to do it with better equipment!

The Fiio setup you have will do just fine. You'll get more impact if/when you upgrade but honestly you'll be more than happy. 

I love my 580's thats why I haven't abandoned them all these years even amidst all this Grado rage I've got going on currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back