Bought used Nicotine Rich HD650!.
Jul 18, 2020 at 9:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Minuno

New Head-Fier
Just purchased a pair of HD650 from the bay and the seller obviously a smoker didn’t say that they are from a smoking household in advance. Although I’m a very give and take chap I feel that if something that goes on your head smells strongly of nicotine and you don’t smoke yourself it’s a problem. The cabling and external box also have the same aroma and I feel it’s not acceptable. Does anyone else agree that selling things like headphones from a smoking home should be stated in advance ?. I wiped the outer box and nicotine was on the baby wipe so it’s pretty well penetrated everything.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 12
Just purchased a pair of HD650 from the bay and the seller obviously a smoker didn’t say that they are from a smoking household in advance. Although I’m a very give and take chap I feel that if something that goes on your head smells strongly of nicotine and you don’t smoke yourself it’s a problem. The cabling and external box also have the same aroma and I feel it’s not acceptable. Does anyone else agree that selling things like headphones from a smoking home should be stated in advance ?. I wiped the outer box and nicotine was on the baby wipe so it’s pretty well penetrated everything.

Well, lesson learned. Now you will know to ask any sellers if they smoked around any headphones you might be interested in buying.

It would have been nice if the seller had mentioned that he was a smoker, sure. Most likely he did not even think about it when he listed the cans. Keep wiping, the smell should fade with after a while. It sucks that you have to go through this ordeal.

Jul 18, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 12
Apparently they were selling them for a family member, so it should have been a little more obvious mind you they might be smokers as well. Do you think smoking depreciates the value of headphones and by how much?. 10% 20%. If I had to sell them myself no one would buy them I’m guessing that is apart from smokers!. I thought most folks who smoked did so out of the house now must take a lot to contaminate headphones to this degree!.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #4 of 12
I think the smell will go away with time. I don't think they will depreciate if they don't smell like crap when you sell them (just make sure you mention that they come from a smoker's house).

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #5 of 12
I do think that's something that should have been mentioned in advance. In terms of getting rid of the smell, your best bet is probably to replace the earpads and headband padding, and I'd also suggest leaving the headphones and cable outside in direct sunlight for a day or two to get rid of any smell that has penetrated the plastic

Jul 18, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 12
You are aware these HD650s are addicted to nicotine? It will take them a while before they function properly again, unless you want to provide them with an hourly dose of good ole cigarette smoke. (Or maybe mod them with nicotine patches on the drivers?)

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 12
The pads and headband foam can be replaced. You could also try washing them.

Jul 19, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #10 of 12
You are aware these HD650s are addicted to nicotine? It will take them a while before they function properly again, unless you want to provide them with an hourly dose of good ole cigarette smoke. (Or maybe mod them with nicotine patches on the drivers?)

hopefully it won’t be an acquired taste for the rest of my headphones!. if the people were just straight up and said “oh does it matter to you that we are heavy smokers, you can back out of the sale, instead of me asking before hand about condition to be told they are mint”. I don’t class smelly headphones as mint by and stretch or stench !. I think it’s an important consideration when buying things like this to be told that they have odour issues, my hands stunk of it after checking them over as if I smoked myself. Mind you the headphones did seem to be a little anxious and shaky so maybe they were smoking more than cigarettes near them!!. When I put the Grateful Dead on they seemed to relax a bit!!.

£225 - as well, should have figured by the burn holes in the carpet in the image, no jest either!!.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 12
They smell like that because they have been properly burned in.

However there might be persistent hoarseness in the sound and some coughing like sound artefacts. This is working as intended though.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #12 of 12
Well I’ve took the pads off and gave them a soak and a freshen up, the foam inserts in the box have also had the same treatment as they smelled a similar appealing aroma!! , cables likewise now to figure out how to remove the headband. Things seem to be improving well at least detergent smells more appealing. The yellowed inner outer cardboard box sadly is beyond such help!.
Head pad off now didn’t realise it would be so easy!.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back