Bought Ultrasone Signature Pro yesterday, still not confident
Mar 19, 2014 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

sofastreamer

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

after years in midfi, i decided to Stretch my Limit and jump into higher end. i mostly use closed back headphones, as i live in a noisy City. yesterday i went to a local dealer and listened to beyerdynamic t5p and ultrasone signature pro right off my ibasso dx50.

the sig pro gave me somekind of wow-effect with ist very deep soundstage and excellent Separation. the beyer seemed on par with my beloved srh940 in almost every aspect. so i bought the sig pro.

today i first Thing i did was listening to the ultrasone, which is on my head right now. and what i hear today is not as Magic as yesterday anymore.instead i here the metallic somewhat hollow ultrasone Sound, that has never been my Cup of tea. it is not the case with classical orchestra, which suprises me, but with the other genre i listen to, complex ambient electronica.

so right nor i am a Little torn what to do. as far as i know the only higher end closed back These days would be the audeze lcd xc, but as it is too heavy and not portable at all, i guess i have to decide between the beyer t5p and the sig pro.

to be honest, i owned a srh1540 before and though it is a Little dark sounding and has too much bass emphasis for my likes, i feel, that Overall technical abilitys are slightly above t5p ans sig pro. the mids for example are much more neutral/natural to my ears and Imaging and Detail retrieval seems unmatched.

so do you have any sugestions? i do not believe in cable Sound and amplifiers should do what they are built for: amplifing without changing the Sound. so both things will not be the solution i am looking for. to be honest: i own a k701 for years and to me it sounds exactly the same straight of the dx50 compared to fancy 1000$ amps.

Mar 19, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 18
Depending on how much sound you need to attenuate from the background, don't forget about the Fostex TH-900 and TH-600 though I have not listened to the latter.

As for the Sig Pro, have you tried adjusting the earcups up and down? Perhaps you are not getting a proper seal, though I can't say as I haven't heard those either.

Mar 19, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #4 of 18
Was the SP you tried at your dealer brand new too ?

All Utrasone I tried need serious & long burn in :wink: . I recently sold mine in order to save money to pay a new amp for my HD800. but when i'll be able to buy another Sig pro I'll oder it without any doubt. 

IME ,Sig pro treble stays slightly metallic even after burn in (It's the Ultrasone main gene) but never at the point of being so annoying.  I tried the TH900 two times and the two times I dislike its excessive treble energy. That been said , I know people who can't endure Ultrasone Signature pro's treble more than10 seconds.

Mar 31, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #6 of 18
Or sock-drawer it for a couple of days at listening volume running of whatever device you have handy while it is plugged into the power. If 48 hours of music doesn't help things...

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:22 AM Post #7 of 18
i take it you were listening to a demo pair at the store?

not exactly emphasized here, but ultrasone have poor quality assurance, there have been dozens of reports of people saying that one pair of ultrasone headphones can sound completely different to another pair of the same model, i have personal experience with 2 sigpro's, the pair i had was very sibilant, when i tried another pair, it was the opposite, lacked treble, still a very good closed headphone.

price of the sigpro has skyrocketed, anyone know why?

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 18

Where ?

Here in France, the SP is priced at 885€ and before that it was 850€ .

Mar 31, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #9 of 18
I recently purchased the the SRH1540 and I also own the T5p. I actually consider the T5p better from a technical view point with better Mids. I think Beyer just have great mids in general across their Tesla range. The bass is obviously better with the Shures and their warm signature combined with my Burson Soloist SL sounds very good indeed. The Soundstage is pretty similar as the T5p. The T5p sounds a bit trebley at times and causes ear fatigue after an hour. The Shures treble does not extend as high so they work better for me.

I've seen a frequency chart which shows the SRH1540 and NAD HP50 to be very similar across the range. If you find the bass too much with the Shures then the NAD may be worth a try.

I may be selling my T5p soon. I also live in Germany so keep your eyes peeled on the Sale forums.

Mar 31, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #10 of 18
thx for reply! had the srh1540 as well as the nad. both are fantastic, but meanwhile i started loving the t5p and my love keeps on growing from day to day, could not be happier.

Mar 31, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #11 of 18
  thx for reply! had the srh1540 as well as the nad. both are fantastic, but meanwhile i started loving the t5p and my love keeps on growing from day to day, could not be happier.

beerchug.gif

Mar 31, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 18
i take it you were listening to a demo pair at the store?

not exactly emphasized here, but ultrasone have poor quality assurance, there have been dozens of reports of people saying that one pair of ultrasone headphones can sound completely different to another pair of the same model, i have personal experience with 2 sigpro's, the pair i had was very sibilant, when i tried another pair, it was the opposite, lacked treble, still a very good closed headphone.

+ 1

I own a Signature DJ and it sounds nothing like another one I auditioned at the store. The store one had too much treble and the mids were strongly receded. I then heard another pair at the same store and it is much weaker in the treble than that one, and the mid range is fuller - I brought this one.

Sounds like the one you heard at the store sounds very different from the one you ended up with.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #15 of 18
  Hi,

after years in midfi, i decided to Stretch my Limit and jump into higher end. i mostly use closed back headphones, as i live in a noisy City. yesterday i went to a local dealer and listened to beyerdynamic t5p and ultrasone signature pro right off my ibasso dx50.

the sig pro gave me somekind of wow-effect with ist very deep soundstage and excellent Separation. the beyer seemed on par with my beloved srh940 in almost every aspect. so i bought the sig pro.

today i first Thing i did was listening to the ultrasone, which is on my head right now. and what i hear today is not as Magic as yesterday anymore.instead i here the metallic somewhat hollow ultrasone Sound, that has never been my Cup of tea. it is not the case with classical orchestra, which suprises me, but with the other genre i listen to, complex ambient electronica.

so right nor i am a Little torn what to do. as far as i know the only higher end closed back These days would be the audeze lcd xc, but as it is too heavy and not portable at all, i guess i have to decide between the beyer t5p and the sig pro.

to be honest, i owned a srh1540 before and though it is a Little dark sounding and has too much bass emphasis for my likes, i feel, that Overall technical abilitys are slightly above t5p ans sig pro. the mids for example are much more neutral/natural to my ears and Imaging and Detail retrieval seems unmatched.

so do you have any sugestions? i do not believe in cable Sound and amplifiers should do what they are built for: amplifing without changing the Sound. so both things will not be the solution i am looking for. to be honest: i own a k701 for years and to me it sounds exactly the same straight of the dx50 compared to fancy 1000$ amps.

Sofastreamer,
Ultrasones require burn-in and a lot of it!  Burn in for at least 100 hours.  The sound will improve signficantly.
Make certain the cable is screwed in all the way.  A common complaint from Ultrasone newbies is the phones don't sound good and one of the reasons is because of the cable not being fully attached. 
Another reason for inferior sound is because of the Ultrasones not being positioned on the head correctly.  Ultrasones are not conventional headphones in the sense of positioning.  In order to have optimal fidelity, position the headband in the center of the top of your head.  Do not position the headband at the back or at the front of your head as you might do with other brands of headphones.  The center positioning of the headband is absolutely necessary for optimum fidelity.  Usually if the headband is positioned in the center of your head, the ear position of the cups will fall correctly in line.  To make sure you understand, the ear should be centered in the cup if possible.  Some people like me have rather large ears.  I find the fidelity "sweet spot" by having the front of my ear very close to the front inside of the cup's pad. Adjust the pads on your ears until you hear the highest fidelity.  If you are listening to a well recorded recording, you should start hearing the S-Logic (surround) effect after about 15 to 20 minutes of listening.  It takes a while for the brain to realize the effect and to stop listening to only right - middle - left.  When you become accustomed to the sound you will start hearing instruments playing in back of you, in front of you, and all around you.  There will be resonance above and below your head on some recordings.
If you follow these instructions, I have no doubt you will start to enjoy very much your new Ultrasone Headphones.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back