Bought the Philips DVD963SA on Friday
Jan 26, 2003 at 4:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JaZZ

Headphoneus Supremus
I bought my DVD963SA on Friday. DVD via TV is completely new to me, and so is SACD more or less. The picture is very sharp, and the colors are brilliant and natural – both sharpness and color tone can be adjusted to the individual liking. A have no complaints about the picture at all, it seems to be of very high quality.

When used as a transport for redbook CD, it causes a huge difference in sound compared to my standard transport, Audiolab (now TAG McLaren) 8000CDM. Much more colorful and a lot more details, a bit at the expense of dynamic (contrast) and liquidity. Anyway: more fun and musical. I almost can't believe how much of a difference a pure transport makes. Note: the difference in character is bigger than the difference in quality, which I'm not yet completely sure of – maybe the Audiolab sound is more natural anyway (?). But I dare to say: the transport function of the DVD963SA seems to be of high quality.

As an one-piece CD player, compared to my Bel Canto DAC2, there's only a small difference in sound (nearly ridiculously small when I think of the difference with the transports); so the redbook section including the analog output stage obviously is of high quality, too. There is a choice between no, 96 and 192 kHz upsampling, both with 24 bit (I rather believe the device's display which shows 192 kHz instead of the 172 kHz in the user manual and the TV screen menu). I didn't test the 96 kHz variant so far, since to change the rate I had to use the TV. There's only a small difference with upsampling, to my ears: a very slight increase of focus, both tonally and spatially. A greater difference brings the «audio direct» knob, which disables the video circuits: a subtle, but important increase of detail sharpness and spatial depth. With thus optimized conditions, the redbook sound is of high resolution, very detailed, colorful and dynamic, extended to both frequency ends. Switching to the DAC2 (which additionally needs the disabling of upsampling to get a digital output signal again) shows just very subtle differences: slightly smoother and darker presentation with a trace more sharper details and thus more focussed soundstage, slightly more natural than the more exposed details and rather a bit rounded upper end of the DVD963SA. Anyway, just very subtle differences – I'm not sure if I really would invest in the Bel Canto again given the small differences both in quality and character.

With the SACD layer, there's a new dimension of realism. Superficially, it's not a sensational step. But with highly resolving equipment (I used my HD 600 with Corda HA-2 and EMP as well as my electrostatics with Stax SRM-T1) it's more than obvious: high-frequency details, especially overtones of instruments and voices, are much sharper focussed. Also, there seems to be more energy in bright percussion instruments, such as snare drums and those hollow wood shakers with pebbles in it. With classical orchestral music the violins' overtones are much more realistic, no digital smearing and glare anymore. All transients gain speed and subtlety. There's a lot more air and space. With synthetic instruments, on the other hand, the gain isn't that obvious.

I have no idea what really high-end SACD equipment is capable of; I would like to know. But I guess the DVD963SA is not far from this level. And I think its CD section is of very high class, too, in terms of DAC and analog (output) stage. The biggest surprise to me is the quality of its transport. – Its price is hard to believe.

smily_headphones1.gif
JaZZ

Jan 26, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 9
JaZZ, many thanks for this review. This seems to verify the observations of Tuberoller. The problem with this player is that it seems so good that it normally should be impossible for the price. The Audiolab transport has been highly regarded as well as the Bel Canto DAC2. If there were big differences, I am convinced that you would here them. And the Philips may also improve somewhat with burn-in.
Stereoplay (German magazine) gives a rating of sound quality of 66 points for SACD for the previous version of this player, DVD 962 SA. It is 68 points for Marantz SA 12 S1 for 4500 Euro and also for Sony SDC XA 777ES. The best SACD player in the test in number 1/2003 gets 70 points and costs 11 thousand Euro.
This indicates small improvements for expensive players for SACD. To give a prespective, the highest rated CD player gets 63 points (Linn CD12) and an entry level as Harman/Kardon HD740 only 50 points.
I don't mean that the Stereoplay ratings are the truth, but seem to be indicators of a change in price relations for digital components (no, Stereoplay has no history of hyping cheap components).
We seem to be in a situation where mass market products threaten the highend. I don't regret that at all!
Now, my only hesitation of ordering the Philips player is that there may appear an even better next month for a little more money. I have no DVD player and the price of the Philips seems to justify a good DVD only.
So I may end up with a Philips CD connected to a Krell amp. I love this!

Jan 26, 2003 at 6:46 PM Post #4 of 9
Anders...

...the misery with the «Stereoplay» ratings is that the SACD ratings refer to multichannel operation, while the CD ratings refer (logically) to 2-channel operation. The numbers just aren't comparable. There are no 2-channel SACD ratings for multichannel-capable SACD players...
frown.gif

Jan 26, 2003 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 9
You may be right, they usually refer to SACD without further qualification of multi or two-channel. However, they state that ratings for all source components are comparable. I might have been a little uncritical here, but of course take the ratings with a grain of salt.
I didn't want to push your review to an interpretation that the Philips player is better than Linn CD 12. Rather that the competions on this product segment seems to be tough and that some mass market SACD players can be interesting also from a highend perspective.

Jan 26, 2003 at 11:20 PM Post #6 of 9
Rick...

...if you got it, please report how it compares to your two Sony players – especially with SACD. I'm curious.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 2:18 AM Post #7 of 9
[EDIT]

Upsampling is more important than I first thought. By switching it on and off I initially didn't notice much of a difference, and I just left it on. After listening a while without it, I really missed something. With upsampling there's indeed more space, more precision and more musical tension.

I don't like that much to confess: I think I like the redbook sound directly from the Philips even a bit more than through my highly appreciated DAC2...
eek.gif
While the former seems to reproduce cymbals more realistic and have a bit more bass impact, the latter is more coherent and more musical, even a bit more detailed and has a warmer, more involving midrange...

How can this be?

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 27, 2003 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
[EDIT]

When used as a transport for redbook CD, it causes a huge difference in sound compared to my standard transport, Audiolab (now TAG McLaren) 8000CDM. Much more colorful and a lot more details, a bit at the expense of dynamic (contrast) and liquidity. Anyway: more fun and musical. I almost can't believe how much of a difference a pure transport makes. Note: the difference in character is bigger than the difference in quality, which I'm not yet completely sure of – maybe the Audiolab sound is more natural anyway (?). But I dare to say: the transport function of the DVD963SA seems to be of high quality.

As an one-piece CD player, compared to my Bel Canto DAC2, there's only a small difference in sound (nearly ridiculously small when I think of the difference with the transports); so the redbook section including the analog output stage obviously is of high quality, too.

I don't like that much to confess: I think I like the redbook sound directly from the Philips even a bit more than through my highly appreciated DAC2...
eek.gif
While the former seems to reproduce cymbals more realistic and have a bit more bass impact, the latter is more coherent and more musical, even a bit more detailed and has a warmer, more involving midrange...
How can this be?

I have no idea what really high-end SACD equipment is capable of; I would like to know. But I guess the DVD963SA is not far from this level. And I think its CD section is of very high class, too, in terms of DAC and analog (output) stage. The biggest surprise to me is the quality of its transport. – Its price is hard to believe.
smily_headphones1.gif

You have absolutely made my night, with your comments JaZZ, thanks, VERY much.
I ordered a 963 on Saturday and have been wondering whether I made the right decision. For my headphone listening system I have a, year old, Sony XA20ES that I love using, its so well built, the transport is like a steel bank vault. Its perfectly laid out and
It also produces very good, if not great sound (that usually costs a great deal of money)!
I had been considering buying a Bel Canto DAC2 because I badly wanted upsampling, and I also wanted SACD listening capability. I grabbed one of these Philips because it offered all of that, in an incredibly inexpensive package. Well, because of that and even more importantly, because of Tuberollers comments on its incredible sound quality with both cds, upsampled, and sacd's.
Thanks again for your review, and comments, especially in regards to the comparison of the DAC2 and the Philips. I think we may well all have bought into the audio steal of the decade.
I suppose disappointing, flimsy build quality is just the price we pay. I will certainly miss my Sony ES player in that regard. Oh well, I will simply listen and forget the rest.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back