Bought New Alessandro Ms-1 , but is it supposed to be like this?
Jan 28, 2010 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

gknix

500+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum and I just bought my Alessandro Ms-1's from the alessandro website (in fact i got these headphones because of this forum!) I am still a newbie, and new to all audiophile forums , and headphones, and I wanted to see if this is normal on the headphones.

I hope the pictures can reveal some of the problems, but most of it cannot be seen. When i removed the comfy pieces(stock earmuffs), I realized there are a lot of scratches on the outside surrounding the drivers. Is this normal? Is it possible that I somehow received a used Alessandro Ms-1s? These are my very first pair of decent headphones and I am panicking a little!

Please advise. Cheers.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #2 of 27
Sadly, yes.

My own MS1i looks just as crappy as that.

You can blame Grado's combination "hand-crafting" process and their [apparently] poor quality control system for that. They still sound good though.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 27
It's in the mould, if they are the same as my sr125i that is - look closely at the scratches on left and right casing - indentical. So they aren't imperfections with your phones they are imperfections with the mould used to make them.

Jan 28, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 27
mine has less scratch, just dont look at it. listen
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 28, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #6 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by dclancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's why they're covered with foam. Any comfort is completely coincidental.

Ha ha!

Even if there's some scratching in the molds, they also get "placed" (probably tossed) into a box while waiting for the next step in the production process.

Just keep the foam on the phones, and the phones on the head, and none of the that will matter much while you are enjoying them!

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #9 of 27
thanks for the information everyone. I guess I'll accept them as is, who knows maybe if I return them and get a new pair, they will be worse.!

I'll just enjoy my sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, other than making the Ms-1's....to Ms-1000, is there another way to make the bass more prominent? I find the bass a little lacking.

There is a very good song that I use to listen and 'test' the bass , Red Hot Chili Peppers Hyde Park - 'Intro' ...and its quite lackadaisical compared to my bose QC 2 ...!!!! which is kind of ridiculous.

I have to say though, after running my headphones for about 15 hours now, they sound a little better...

p.s.kmhaynes, i did look at your ms-100's..I wish I could do something like that too. But I'm just not sure what the measurements are for those pieces!

Jan 28, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #10 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks for the information everyone. I guess I'll accept them as is, who knows maybe if I return them and get a new pair, they will be worse.!
<trim>
p.s.kmhaynes, i did look at your ms-100's..I wish I could do something like that too. But I'm just not sure what the measurements are for those pieces!

You might want to look up what the various Grado pads (and non-Grado pad - the HD414) do for sound. Sorry if I can't help more, as I don't remember the various results offhand.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:37 PM Post #11 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by gknix /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'll just enjoy my sounds
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, other than making the Ms-1's....to Ms-1000, is there another way to make the bass more prominent? I find the bass a little lacking.

There is a very good song that I use to listen and 'test' the bass , Red Hot Chili Peppers Hyde Park - 'Intro' ...and its quite lackadaisical compared to my bose QC 2 ...!!!! which is kind of ridiculous.

I have to say though, after running my headphones for about 15 hours now, they sound a little better...

The MS1000 mod will definitely enhance the bass.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #12 of 27
MS-1s aren't 'bassy' as in the trend to create headphones with unnatural bass. I guess it is my preference as I find the K701 to have bang on perfect bass.

Jan 28, 2010 at 11:47 PM Post #13 of 27
The scratches are par for the course. You may find that there is a notable increase in bass as they burn-in physically and mentally. You can also try the reverse quarter-modded HD414 pads, or reverse L-cushions which improve the bass as much as the taped "basshead" mod.

Jan 29, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #14 of 27
I don't like reverse bowls IMO.

But to the OP, mine were a bit scratchy right out of the box.
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The scratches are par for the course. You may find that there is a notable increase in bass as they burn-in physically and mentally. You can also try the reverse quarter-modded HD414 pads, or reverse L-cushions which improve the bass as much as the taped "basshead" mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back