Bough a ATH-A900X for PC use. Do I need anything else to get the full effect?
Mar 26, 2014 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tesn

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm new to the scene here. Saw a decent deal on the ATH-A900X, and got one shipping out to me soon. I'm upgrading from HD 201's so hopefully it should be a nice upgrade. My question is, do I need to buy anything else to get the full effect? Do I need an amp? I have a Razer Barracuda AC 1 audio card, would that be good enough?

Mar 26, 2014 at 6:48 PM Post #2 of 6

Dogmatrix

Headphoneus Supremus
  Hi, I'm new to the scene here. Saw a decent deal on the ATH-A900X, and got one shipping out to me soon. I'm upgrading from HD 201's so hopefully it should be a nice upgrade. My question is, do I need to buy anything else to get the full effect? Do I need an amp? I have a Razer Barracuda AC 1 audio card, would that be good enough?

Welcome and sorry about you're wallet
Audio card will be fine with any of the ATH series you won't miss anything
The longer you hang around here the more likely it is the upgrade bug will bite , my current "best" rig ran to around $4.5k and that is modest compared to some

Mar 26, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #3 of 6

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus

Her is some third party drivers for your sound card.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Also you might consider getting Hifiman HE Velour ear pads ($10+shipping), they help on holding the headphones in place.

Mar 27, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 6

tesn

New Head-Fier

Her is some third party drivers for your sound card.
http://maxedtech.com/asus-xonar-unified-drivers/

Also you might consider getting Hifiman HE Velour ear pads ($10+shipping), they help on the headphones in place.

Didn't even know there were third party drivers. Thanks, I should try them out.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #5 of 6

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus

Didn't even know there were third party drivers. Thanks, I should try them out.

It appears the audio processor used in the Barracuda is a re-badged C-Media audio processor.

Mar 27, 2014 at 2:28 PM Post #6 of 6

formula1

fabio-fi, jackwess and formula1 are all the same person.
Isn't the Barracuda an old soundcard? Why not upgrade? 

Users who are viewing this thread