Bottlehead Headphone Amp Kit Poll
Sep 15, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 16
I may be alone here, but I choose a hi-end component. There are more than enough amps at the low end (more amps than owners at this site) than there are at the hi-end. Give us an amp that sets the standard!

markl

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:53 AM Post #4 of 16
Do we really need another head amp? If so,I would like to see a giant-killer in the $750.00 range that would slay all comers.It would have to be compatible with most headphones and come with the very best parts to eliminate the need for constant upgrades other than tuberolling.

Sep 15, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #5 of 16
Set the pace at $700.
smily_headphones1.gif

NGF

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:44 AM Post #6 of 16
my collection is past the $200 headphone amp and i don't plan on ever going back to that. however, his schtick seems to be for building very low-priced stuff that sounds pretty good. i probably won't really care at all for it then. if it doesn't beat my rkv (which still hasn't come in the mail!) than i am not interested.

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:55 PM Post #7 of 16
Right on guys. If it isn't clearly better than the choices we have already why bother? It's not like you get to audition an amp that you build yourself; you buy it and build it, and then audition it. A kit has to promise superlative performance for me to do it these days.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:18 PM Post #8 of 16
I like Doc a lot and after hearing Nick's stuff, I have a good deal of confidence in the guy...

But... I also think AudioValve and ASL have done a great job with the resources they had. I say if we're going to take up Doc's time the least we can do is make sure he has the resources to pull out something that doesn't end up being more of the same.

I don't at all agree with some folks' twisted view of economy and as a consumer, I'm happy to see more choices in a given market. So, even if this ends up not being an amp for me (because I already have a more expensive and better one), I hope it does come out and I hope it's a good option for people at whatever budget it's priced at. Here's to hoping the Bottlehead amp will raise the bar on whatever budget it targets.

Sep 15, 2002 at 2:33 PM Post #9 of 16
Definitely hi-end.

Sep 15, 2002 at 8:48 PM Post #10 of 16
I want the pace setter.

Sep 15, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #11 of 16
I assume Doc's amp would be a kit like everything else he sells. The biggest market would probably be for the $200 amp kit that will compete with the $400-500 alternatives (ie. the DIY cheapskate market). This seems to be Doc's usual strategy (ie. Foreplay, Seduction, etc.).

I own a Earmax Pro and I don't know if I would have spent that much for an amp in kit form and then have to depend on my DIY skills (all thumbs) for the final product.

Sep 16, 2002 at 5:12 AM Post #12 of 16
i would love a bottlehead diy kit for around $1000 that could compete with the ear hp-4 or ear v20!

Sep 16, 2002 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 16
I'm all for pushing the envelope, but with the HP4 and ZOTL I'm already close to the leading edge of the envelope now (but Nik's amp is out there...). That's where the amp I'd want lies...but that may be Doc's pro amp, rather than the upcoming kit.

Commercial reality dictates that the kit be aimed at a price point where sales will be enough to generate a revenue stream. Show me a $750 kit that represents significant improvement over the Berning MicroZOTL/AudioValve RKV, and I'll show you a killer headphone amp that may be one of the best available. I know I'd buy one.

Sep 16, 2002 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 16
If the headamp sounds as good as the Paramours, this should be pretty damned cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back