Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Sep 27, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #2,101 of 2,108
Hello there, thought I would say hello now that I finally own a Crack, albeit a heavily modified one, after hankering several years for one.

I am not a builder, hence why several years have passed I guess, but the opportunity presented itself some time ago to have one built for me.

My headphones are the HD800S and Utopia’s, and I really wanted to be able to use my Utopia’s if possible, and be able to switch from 6sn7’s to the Mullard ecc32’s, seeing as I have a few.

After several months of trial and error I now have my Crack, which sounds wonderful and I am really pleased with it. The brief was almost met too, by a whisker, regarding the Utopia’s.
These headphones really do sound good with this Crack, even with deep bass from guitars etc. The only time the bass gets into trouble is with some EDM, and when there is a constant deep electronic bass in the background, whereby control is lost.
Well, I’m a happy bunny as I don’t have much of this music in my collection.
A few pics.

That’s lovely! With a dash of overkill :).

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #2,104 of 2,108

Attachments

• IMG_1135 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1135 (1).jpeg
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1137 (1).jpeg
    IMG_1137 (1).jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 0
Dec 30, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2,106 of 2,108
Any tips for taping the transformers to paint the bells on a S.E.X. kit? Just regular ol' blue tape?

If you're careful you can unscrew and take it off... but if you're unsure of that, then yeah good quality painter's tape is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back