Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Feb 3, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #1,711 of 2,108
Hey Jamie!

Thanks for telling me that...I know the T'1's would work ok with the mainline just always wondered about the more power available ..
64 mw vs 800 mw, you have to ask the question...or ar least I do !! ha!

Normally when you attach a load to an amp, load being the cans....the load only draws from the source what it needs and if the source can "source" the power all is fine...yes it is a bit more complex in that, the impedance changes with frequency etc..

That said building stuff is a great thing to me, having built 10+ amps in the last few years, just to hear what different circuits "sound" like...etc.
and if something goes south your not afraid to dig in and fix it....

The HD800's...hmmm I have never heard them...but have gone thru many others...and the Beyers are good to me...maybe if I hear them I might jump into that end of the pool!

Thanks Again
Alex

Feb 3, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #1,712 of 2,108
Hi Alex the Mainline will have no trouble driving your T1's, I have used T1's (first gen) with Crack, Sex and Mainline and the Mainline easily bests the Crack and Sex the sound staging and resolution is a significant in fact the whole sonic experience is a solid step up in performance. I might add the Mainline and HD800 are also an incredibly good combo.

Totally agree!!

Hey, @JamieMcC have you ever tried a Schiit Ragnarok? I'm looking at buying it as a pre-amp and Mainline alternative for IEMs and when I don't want to burn tube-life or want a different feel.

Feb 4, 2018 at 3:58 AM Post #1,713 of 2,108
@Loquah I have yet to try any of the Schiit range they tend to be marked up significantly over here in the UK more often than not they just swap the $ sign for a £ sign when sold here which makes them a less tempting option

The Mainline makes a excellent pre-amp I have been using it in front of my power amp driving speakers for a while now.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #1,716 of 2,108
Thanks, now where is a good place to get a set of those 6C45p's? The 12AU7 is pretty easy to find. I dont horde tubes but would like one set just in case one of then goe south...??

Alex

Feb 6, 2018 at 3:40 PM Post #1,717 of 2,108
Thanks, now where is a good place to get a set of those 6C45p's? The 12AU7 is pretty easy to find. I dont horde tubes but would like one set just in case one of then goe south...??

Alex

I wish I knew! They're hard to find these days in my experience...

Feb 6, 2018 at 5:54 PM Post #1,719 of 2,108
I see some reflecktors and sovtek's....the eh gold pins are not around but should come back in a few weeks from what I see.

Looking forward to the build, looks pretty straightforward.

Thinking of the case, linseed oil, or stain etc..also to paint the top of the panel or not....

Alex

Feb 6, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,723 of 2,108
Where does Doc get the tubes from? Sovtek directly?

Woo Audio will have some gold pin EH's but at a price...

From what I see they don't have to be matched exactly? Separate bias adj?

Alex

Feb 7, 2018 at 8:03 PM Post #1,724 of 2,108
7JtIaky.jpg

post-133876-0-14095600-1468996583.jpg

Hi Gang, I'm looking at purchasing this pre assembled S.E.X.

Can any of you wizards tell me from the images which model this is?

Apparently it was purchased on Head-fi around 2-3 years ago.

My best guess is 1.0, with C4S.

Let me know your thoughts!

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #1,725 of 2,108
7JtIaky.jpg

post-133876-0-14095600-1468996583.jpg

Hi Gang, I'm looking at purchasing this pre assembled S.E.X.

Can any of you wizards tell me from the images which model this is?

Apparently it was purchased on Head-fi around 2-3 years ago.

My best guess is 1.0, with C4S.

Let me know your thoughts!

Definitely has C4S (circuit boards), but more likely v2 I think (they're up to v3 now, right?) The difference is in the main transformer I believe, but wouldn't know what to look for.

Should be identical to my one (before i modded the crap out of it!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back