Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Nov 20, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #1,411 of 2,108

Now have approx. 30 hours in on the Jupiter HT output caps. Very nice - the change in sound quality is not subtle.
Other changes in my system - tube swaps and NH cable break/switch - may be clouding the waters.

That said, I'm getting what I wanted: Tone! Texture.
More presence and touch in mids - acoustic instruments more fleshy, yet natural and wrapped in airy highs.
So....the space they're in is more illuminated but the instruments aren't bleached out.

Your impressions are very much inline with my own experience with the Jupiters. Good to hear they have worked out well for you..

Ya, for me, I think ive squeezed enough out of the amp. Very very nice.

Be warned you will need to scratch that Mainline itch sooner or later
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 20, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #1,412 of 2,108
Not cool! :wink:...
Knew i shouldnt have read this..

I'm actually looking at the Stereomour2 for my next project

Nov 21, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #1,414 of 2,108

I changed my dac a week or so ago and it has made for a decent jump in sound quality with the Mainline. I had been trying out a few different dacs over the last month and to be honest most of them were more similar than different. I did have big hopes for a Eastern Electric mini max (sabre dac with tube output stage) and had lusted after one after for some time after reading the many good reviews but it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment in that it was very close to my Marantz dac and not really the upgrade I was hoping for (still offers good performance for its price if buying used).  

In the end I took the plunge on a pre owned Leema Accoustics Elements dac and wowzers it was clearly on a different level to anything else I had listened to before
smile.gif

At last that nagging doubt of having the decent front end that the Mainline deserves is finally gone.

Nov 22, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #1,416 of 2,108
Yeah... I was saving up for the Yggdrasil, but I ended up dropping what I had on a 10ft Moon Audio balanced cable. The change wasn't subtle there, it being my first balanced experience. Awesome improvement across the board.

Nov 23, 2015 at 1:31 AM Post #1,417 of 2,108
I made a major shift back in August, selling my Primaluna integrated to fund a Schiit Gungnir multibit purchase as well as the SEX for amplification - building up a new system with an excellent digital front end. The PL is a great amp, and sounded sweet, but, it was too much for my room/speakers - not a great pairing. Also, was using the headphone out on my Parasound dac at the time.

Though the SEX is doing double duty - driving both 'phones and my speakers - I've been tuning it for my Nighhawks.
I plan to build a 2channel amp - possibly the Seductor, or Stereomour2.

And, then onto a turntable upgrade, and a Bottlehead phono pre.

Nov 23, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #1,419 of 2,108
- the Nighthawk and SEX pairing in my system is beautiful.

Back to the Jupiter caps...I have to say I am surprised at the clarity gained throughout the whole spectrum. Highs to low end. I was expecting a more natural mid-range, but the improvement is more than I'd hoped for.

Your impressions are very much inline with my own experience with the Jupiters. Good to hear they have worked out well for you..

Be warned you will need to scratch that Mainline itch sooner or later
evil_smiley.gif

Did you find there continued to be changes to SQ beyond 50 hours of play?

Dec 25, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #1,420 of 2,108
  - the Nighthawk and SEX pairing in my system is beautiful.

Back to the Jupiter caps...I have to say I am surprised at the clarity gained throughout the whole spectrum. Highs to low end. I was expecting a more natural mid-range, but the improvement is more than I'd hoped for.

Did you find there continued to be changes to SQ beyond 50 hours of play?

Beyond 50 hours I wouldn't like to say but I have been very pleased with mine.

----------------------

Merry Christmas all and best wishes for the New Year

Dec 28, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,421 of 2,108
Jan 6, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #1,423 of 2,108
Plan to sell my Crack one day soon to fund my CIEM venture. But I'm not done tweaking it! I've got my first E80CC on the way. Its a nice S&H with the early "swastika" logo. Plan to upgrade the rectifiers to a set of Cree as well. Using the mainline as a base for comparison I find my crack went all left field thumpy thump thump with the 12BH7A in there. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #1,424 of 2,108
Spacequeen, I am interested in your thoughts on the DT 880 with Crack setup. It seems to spark pretty volatile discussions because some claim it boosts the treble too much and others think it adds flavor to the neutrality. What are your thoughts on the pairing?

Jan 8, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #1,425 of 2,108
  Spacequeen, I am interested in your thoughts on the DT 880 with Crack setup. It seems to spark pretty volatile discussions because some claim it boosts the treble too much and others think it adds flavor to the neutrality. What are your thoughts on the pairing?

I only have 250ohm ver. but I would say I favor HD 650 hands down 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back