Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline
Aug 2, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #781 of 2,108

Oops! Sorry, I initially thought you weren't interested in speakers
tongue.gif

Ive got a 5.1 Orca system which is lovely!  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Aug 2, 2014 at 8:54 PM Post #782 of 2,108
Does anyone with a mainline happen to know how much the amp weighs? I realized we don't own a scale at present and I'm trying to figure out which sorbothane feet to buy. Thanks in advance to anyone able to lend a hand!

Aug 2, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #783 of 2,108
Does anyone with a mainline happen to know how much the amp weighs? I realized we don't own a scale at present and I'm trying to figure out which sorbothane feet to buy. Thanks in advance to anyone able to lend a hand!

Not sure about the exact number for a built one, but the package of my Mainline parts was about 11 lbs ( approx 5 kg).

Hope this helps.

Aug 2, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #784 of 2,108
Not sure about the exact number for a built one, but the package of my Mainline parts was about 11 lbs ( approx 5 kg).

Hope this helps.

Thanks so much Kratos! Exactly what I needed. Didn't realize you had a mainline in the works. Look forward to reading your impressions!

Aug 3, 2014 at 1:48 AM Post #785 of 2,108
If I may suggest, I think the Herbie's tenderfeet might be a little better choice. Actually microphony is not much of an issue with the Mainline, and isolation feet may not really be that important. But if you do decide to use them I have found that Sorbothane feet tend to flatten and get sticky even if you use the recommended size for a given weight. The herbies do just as good a job of isolation and don't squish out with time.

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #786 of 2,108
I would probably suggest the S.E.X. in that case as it conveys a larger sense of space and detail in the music, but not artificially so - just showing you what's there in a spacious way. A friend who's judgment I trust believes the S.E.X. + HD800 combo to be among the very best he's heard for classical recordings.

It's very important to get the C4S add-on for the S.E.X. as it makes a HUGE difference!!

There is overwhelming support, on this and the BH forum, for the crack and hd600/650 pairing. The OTL and high impedance cans seems to be a match made in heaven. My question is whether the S.E.X. does the same amount of justice ( or more ) to these cans. I ask this as the S.E.X. seems to be spoken more about its ability to drive lower impedance cans.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #787 of 2,108
As it happens the Hd800s pair well with all of our amps. If budget is a concern, Crack is the best choice. Of course if budget is a concern what are you doing buying hd800s?

For me the best sonic match for 800s is Mainline. S.E.X. Is designed to fall squarely in the middle between Crack and Mainline and will also run the broadest range of headphone types. So the best way to decide which amp to buy is to weigh your priorities.

Aug 3, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #789 of 2,108
If I may suggest, I think the Herbie's tenderfeet might be a little better choice. Actually microphony is not much of an issue with the Mainline, and isolation feet may not really be that important. But if you do decide to use them I have found that Sorbothane feet tend to flatten and get sticky even if you use the recommended size for a given weight. The herbies do just as good a job of isolation and don't squish out with time.

Thanks for the tip on the tenderfeet! They look like a solid product without the stain risk of sorbothane. But definitely a higher price bracket too. I had already ordered the sorbothane off Amazon, and at $2.50/foot (rather than $15/foot), plus prime shipping, it's hard to say no.

In all candor, I only started looking at them because I misplaced my stock bump-ons and recently moved my mainline to a new desk that doesn't provide it with any ventilation. I haven't noticed any sort of microphonics, but buying a pack of bump-ons cost the same as the 4 pack of sorbothane 1" hemispheres.

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:08 AM Post #790 of 2,108
Off-topic: Anyone in Australia interested in buying a Mainline? I want to save $120. :)

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #792 of 2,108
Maybe we can organize something  :) 

I heard the mainline before. 

I find the HD800 + Crack to grate my eardrums. The treble is borderline bearable even with a good cable on the HD800 like a Norne Draug. I couldn't listen to it for more than 15-20 mins. 

HD800 + Mainline is an entirely different story. The treble is extended but ridiculously smooth. Just sounds very nice and natural. 

I have a T1 and it sounds amazing with the Crack but I am now curious as to how much better it will be with the Mainline. I've tried Lachlan's setup before and it sounded VERY good. The bass went lower than I remember the Crack doing and of course, silky smooth but detailed sound. I might have to try another time before taking the plunge but I had great memories of it. 

What headphones do you have? 

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #793 of 2,108
  Maybe we can organize something  :) 

I heard the mainline before. 

I find the HD800 + Crack to grate my eardrums. The treble is borderline bearable even with a good cable on the HD800 like a Norne Draug. I couldn't listen to it for more than 15-20 mins. 

HD800 + Mainline is an entirely different story. The treble is extended but ridiculously smooth. Just sounds very nice and natural. 

I have a T1 and it sounds amazing with the Crack but I am now curious as to how much better it will be with the Mainline. I've tried Lachlan's setup before and it sounded VERY good. The bass went lower than I remember the Crack doing and of course, silky smooth but detailed sound. I might have to try another time before taking the plunge but I had great memories of it. 

What headphones do you have? 

Is your Crack stock?

Aug 6, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #795 of 2,108

Exactly how I hear it as well!  They are simply a wonderful combination, and I hope more and more members find opportunities to hear the pairing as time goes by.  

Honestly, it makes me cringe a little every time I see the prolific "supremuses" in the hd800 thread throwing around their weight/post counts, recommending much more expensive hardware to newer members that doesn't sound nearly as good as the mainline.  I try to chime in from time to time to recommend the mainline as an excellent option, but I really don't want to cross that invisible line where the brand is potentially tarnished by perceived fanboyism.

In any event, assuming you go forward with the purchase, I hope you find as much joy in listening to this amp as the rest of us mainline owners.  She's a keeper.  That's for damn sure.

In the interim, I found the anax mod a great cure to any treble sensitivity issues I had when I was running my hd800's from my crack.  A nice warm sounding 12au7, like a bugleboy (or even a cheap nos tung sol), and a good 6080 or 6as7g also help.  I generally prefer 5998's with my crack but do find them slightly brighter than their lower mu / lower gain cousins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back