1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by loquah, Sep 24, 2013.
First

Back
97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
Next

Last
  1. Loquah

Exciting! Don't stress over the build. The Mainline is so beautifully laid out that I think it's actually easier to build than the SEX and maybe even the Crack w Speedball.

2. Doc B.
    Generally speaking the kits have better and better manuals over time. So the more recently a kit has been released the more info that manual has to guide you through any potential areas of confusion or challenge. 

3. deserat

Appreciate the reassurance. The fear is part of the high and the fun.

Loquah likes this.
  4. Doc B.
    I wanted to mention here that we have decided to revive the Vintage Audio Listeners and Valve Enthusiasts (VALVE) DIY audio club that was really the start of Bottlehead back in the mid-90s. We'll be having a meet at Bottleheadquarters on October 15th. This isn't just a Bottlehead-centric kind of thing, nor is it just about headphones. Participants are encouraged to bring their latest DIY audio projects, working or not. We put them in the system and listen if they are working, throw them on the bench and flog them if they are not. You can also just show up and ********, and absorb some of the fun. I'm pretty sure I will be able to get some of the guys from the old days to show up. It was quite a peanut gallery, and a lot of great ideas came out of those meetings in the last century.

We have a thread going on the Bottlehead forum where I would appreciate an RSVP if you are thinking about attending -

http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=9435.0 

5. Doc B.
    Really? You can't say ******** here?

6. redone13
    The instructions are top notch.  I had never even really soldered before and assembling it was still a breeze.

7. bigfatpaulie

Congrats on an amazing amp!!  Just take your time, enjoy the ride and make sure you put the fuse in :)

8. bigfatpaulie

**** NO!

9. deserat
    Both Crack-a-twoa and Mainline are on sale! Good deals too.

10. dmhenley
    Giving the SEX a once-over - new finish on the base and new caps. Now that it's no longer my primary headamp - looking forward to experimenting some more.

11. NightFlight
    Pictures?

12. dmhenley
    Of the updates? Yep - I'll have some this weekend :)

13. dmhenley
    Intrigued by the new SEX amp announcement. Look forward to the details.

14. TeediuS
    if anyone from aus has a few spare LEDs for the crack, and still has a couple left, any chance of a PM?  I knackered one when first putting it together (but had left it connected), and used a jumper cable from the other side.  it worked alright, but every now and again could hear some scratching, and went around resoldering and ended up toasting the other LED in the process!.  just being a complete tight arse trying to avoid $14 shipping charges from bottlehead website, for something that weighs a few grams :wink:

15. dmhenley
    Ok - phase one complete - grey stain on the base. Wanted a weathered or worn look too. Several coats of minwax gloss too.
    Got some other things in the works.

Oh, I had to stop and listen to it....it'd been months. Such a great amp.

SEXrefinish2.jpg

First

Back
97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106
108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117
Next

Last