Bottlehead 6C45 spud amp
Apr 1, 2004 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

timoteus

500+ Head-Fier
Another in a line of fantastic reference studio headphone amps from Bottlehead. It's very involved so you'll have to follow the thread to get the lowdown. Single stage, single ended, parallel feed, current sources, dual mono power supplies, autoformers, custom coupling caps...
eek.gif

headphoneamp.jpg

headphoneampinside.jpg

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/bo...ges/78900.html

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:34 AM Post #2 of 15
One reason that I hate April Fool's day is that I never know whether or not my rather large leg is being pulled. Having read the thread on AA, I'm still not sure. I always thought Doc B was into low cost DIY stuff, not this $7,000 to $8,000 price range. But maybe I'm mistaken.

Oh well, good luck if this is a real product. I'm not sure who the customers will be, but I doubt it'll be too many of us though, at that price.

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:48 AM Post #3 of 15
$7-8k? who is he kidding?

thank goodness, another overpriced amp made with hd600 in mind, and after all these years of waiting..

then again, it could be an april fool's joke.

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 15
according to the thread, the customer is a recording engineer, and the price is only there because someone asked how much it would be if he were to make it again. Who knows.

Apr 1, 2004 at 7:05 AM Post #5 of 15
It's true the Bottlehead lineup is reasonably priced DIY kits. But as was stated in the thread, they hope this technology will trickle down to their kits. The original schematic that this amp is based on was published in their VALVE online magazine and was called Kugelis. They have built a few versions of this for studio monitoring. One of them was built for Paul Stubblebine Mastering.

Gary Dahl's Espressivo was based on these amps although his is tricked out with Gary Pimm's awesome hybrid pentode/mosfet cascode constant current sources (PMCCCS) and rectified with 6CJ3 damper diodes.

http://nutshellhifi.com/gary/index.html

Apr 1, 2004 at 10:58 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by grinch

thank goodness, another overpriced amp made with hd600 in mind, and after all these years of waiting..

haha i'll drink to that

Apr 1, 2004 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 15
I just find it amazing how many great headphone amps there are out there! Heck, I've now uploaded 122 amps over at "the ipod studio", and I keep finding more...
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #8 of 15
The thread indicates:

"headphone autoformer with selectable 600/240/60 ohm taps."

So it's made for use with other than HD600's.

Further down here's the interesting part:

"Well, we have a certain "secret" project right at the top of the list. PJ and I will probably start putting a production prototype together after I get back from a short vacation next week.
Among other things (think versatility, lots of versatility) this device should have a headphone jack and cost a whole lot less than a K dollar.

Can't spill too much more info. Suffice it to say that parafeed autoformer technology is one of those things that would be trickle down technology from our studio gear."

I've talked to them several times and they say "just wait and see"?

Mitch

Apr 1, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by TimSchirmer
haha i'll drink to that

Hehe, you'll drink to anything.. :p

Biggie.

Apr 3, 2004 at 12:21 AM Post #11 of 15
Recently posted by Doc B on the BottleHead site:

However another small hint for those following the secret project that we are working on. Along with stereo SET operation we will explore modding this project for mono class AB1 triode PP, hoping for about 10W.

Headphones...10W...SE...PP....way less than $1K...what the heck are Doc and PJ working on anyway?! Hopefully we'll have a little more to share in a week or so.

Soon? I'm local so I'll pick it up in person I hope? That is if it will work with low impedance headphones since Grados Rule in this household

Mitch

Apr 3, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally posted by braillediver
Recently posted by Doc B on the BottleHead site:

However another small hint for those following the secret project that we are working on. Along with stereo SET operation we will explore modding this project for mono class AB1 triode PP, hoping for about 10W.

Headphones...10W...SE...PP....way less than $1K...what the heck are Doc and PJ working on anyway?! Hopefully we'll have a little more to share in a week or so.

A combination linestage/headphone amp/integrated? Switchable between SE for linestage/headphone use and PP for speakers? The confusing part is the mention of mono. Why that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back