Boston Area Head-Fi Festival of Ears
Aug 6, 2002 at 1:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

AngusMcToon

100+ Head-Fier
Calling all Boston area Head-Fi'ers.

Emerging from the ashes of ill-fated non-started gatherings first in Hartford, then Western MA, Boston must assert itself, unless MA residents are content to let Texas have all the fun.

The Proposal (courtesy of dvr): Let's rent a small function room for a weekend day (at a cost of approximately $100 to be split among participants) in a hotel in the 128 area. Burlington to be exact. Auto-impaired individuals can be met at Alewife or ask for a ride.

The only real question is, When? DanG goes back to school Labor Day. But this is short notice for many. Should we plan for October? September? Cram for August? Place your vote, please make your suggestions, and let's get together and listen to some of the gear we've been reading about here on Head-Fi.

Who's in? Bookmark this thread if you are, and place your vote for dates that work for you.

Aug 6, 2002 at 4:33 AM Post #2 of 22
I looked at the college calendar and it seems that I won't have any weekends in October or September when I can come back home... it's also unlikely that I'd haul my audio gear with me (aside from my portable rig). So I can really only make it on one of these next three Sundays, unless somebody's up for the Sunday of Labor Day.

If it's a small get-together I could try to host at home in beautiful Marblehead, MA. I'd really like to be at whatever meet takes place, but if I can't make it, I can't make it... but people have to start responding! Otherwise we can't gauge interest and figure out the date which is convenient for the majority of interested parties.

Oct 1, 2002 at 8:09 PM Post #4 of 22
I'm looking into getting a nice set of Cans to use with my home audio system (B&K AVR 305). Any weekend except Oct 26, 27 work for me. Hopefully something will come together!

Garth

Oct 1, 2002 at 8:59 PM Post #5 of 22
Uh oh, most of the dates in this poll have passed. We should either update the choices or decide to do the 19th. The sense of failure that would come from letting all our dates pass would just be unbearable.
frown.gif

Here's my suggestion: If we have 7 or more people confirmed, we can get a hotel suite on a weekend for around $100. This will give us a couch, a dining room table, etc -- enough room for around 10 people to spread out with their gear. I would book the hotel room, charge everyone $10 to get in the door, and cover any difference.

If we can only pull together a small gathering, I'm hoping someone can find room in their house/apartment. It would be great if people could respond to this thread with offers like "I could host up to 5 people at my place", then we'll figure out the final location as the date approaches.

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:39 AM Post #7 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by ricks584
I could host 7 or fewer people at my office, but it's in Foxboro.

That's great. I would be driving down 95 from the Burlington area, and could pick up a few people at the Alewife T station if anyone needed a ride.

Oct 2, 2002 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 22
I don't think I could make it since I'm at school. If you guys want to do something over Thanksgiving weekend that's a different story, but my guess is people would be busy.

Maybe you guys should have this meeting when you can, and then we can try to start planning a bigger Boston meeting for next summer -- early! I'm thinking at least three months in advance. I wanted to have a Boston meet summer before last and that never worked out... Audio&Me kept badgering me to get a meet before he went to boot camp in August, that didn't work out either. If we plan a meet early we can make it work -- there were people at the Headroom World of Headphones tour, weren't there? And that was even pretty far from Boston.

Let's start planning a full-fledged Boston meet this spring to get as many ears and systems in one place. We could also try to get it in a good location in or very near Boston. Good plan?

Oct 3, 2002 at 3:51 AM Post #10 of 22
If this is gonna happen, I'm interested and can probably make it to anywhere in Mass or RI given enough notice.

Oct 3, 2002 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 22
Hey just noticed this post for the first time. I'd definetly be interested. I could make either the 12th or the 19th. I'm in Cambridge,MA, but willing to travel, but don't have a car, so would prefer if it was accessable by train, bus, or T or maybe can hitch a ride with dvr from Alewife if its in Foxboro.

I don't have too much to bring yet as its a relatively new hobby, but I could definelty bring my Corda HA-1 + HD 600, Intel Pocket Concert + KSC-35s, and depending on where it is and if there's any interest I could even bring my source (sony ns775v).

Zin

Oct 5, 2002 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 22
I'm looking at the 19th or the 2nd. The 19th is short notice, but I'll still have my RKV on-hand at that point, which people might be interested in hearing. However, if we aim for the early date and don't get 7 people for the hotel room, we'll need to cancel. So maybe the 2nd is more reasonable because it gives us more time to get out the word.

So if anyone really wants to hear an RKV, you know what you need to do... Offer to host the meet at your place.

If you're reluctant to open your living room to a bunch of strangers, think of other places where we can hold at meet. For example, when I was at MIT, classrooms were always left unlocked and became the meeting ground of anyone who wanted to meet there. On that campus, a bunch of men toting strange electronics wouldn't raise a single eyebrow.

Respond to this thread and say whether you can make the 19th or 2nd.

Oct 8, 2002 at 2:58 AM Post #15 of 22
Right now either the 19th or the 2nd looks OK. ~ $10 is no problem and the suite sounds like a good idea.

I'm out on the 495 belt so outside of Boston would be easier for me but I'm flexible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back