bose vs monster cable vs apple
Jan 23, 2012 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

mandar

New Head-Fier
hey guys,

i have been using apple dual driver in-ear headphones for 2 years now. i am on my 2nd pair (although the 1st pair works just fine) now. I am planning to buy new in-ear headphones. I looked around the market and the bose ie2 headphones and the monster ibeats stand out. i read a lot of threads and discussions but cant make up my mind. i listen to a lot of rock/metal and i use them in places like a bus or the metro hence my surroundings are noisy but not uncomfortable. wat do you guys think ??!! i am open to other suggestions but keep in mind that i stay in the united arab emirates, so the availability of all brands is not guaranteed. Eg: monster turbines are good but cant find them anywhere !!!! my budget is AED 500 (US$ 140)
dont wanna buy over the ear headphones for the simple reason that they look horrible on me.

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 17
The bose are an open design, so you'll hear everything around you crystal clear.  They're spectacular for jogging and activities where you need to be aware of your surroundings, and they extremely comfortable.  

I don't have experience with the other two.  But if you'll be around loud noises and want isolation, skip the bose.  

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #4 of 17
Oh great, another one of these threads. Ok, here we go:

If you use the search function, you'll see most people here think they suck. I'm not quite sure about the Apples, they do use a dual-driver, but I don't think they're anything to write home about.

The Monster iBeats suck. All Beats suck and these are not an exception.

The Bose suck.

Don't think I'm being rude to you, you don't have an obligation to know this, in fact that's why you're asking about it here.

Now that we covered that, what are your musical preferences?

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #5 of 17
If it down to Bose or Beats, then go Bose hands down...if you want something better than either of them for the same price? there are heaps but I recommend UE700

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #6 of 17

Quote:
Oh great, another one of these threads. Ok, here we go:

If you use the search function, you'll see most people here think they suck. I'm not quite sure about the Apples, they do use a dual-driver, but I don't think they're anything to write home about.

The Monster iBeats suck. All Beats suck and these are not an exception.

The Bose suck.

Don't think I'm being rude to you, you don't have an obligation to know this, in fact that's why you're asking about it here.

Now that we covered that, what are your musical preferences?

Quite honestly, I was one to like the ADDIEMs...  So do a lot of people on Head-Fi, actually, there is an appreciation thread for it if I'm not mistaken... 

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Quite honestly, I was one to like the ADDIEMs...  So do a lot of people on Head-Fi, actually, there is an appreciation thread for it if I'm not mistaken... 

I'm not a fan boy, but these were actually my first "real" IEM. They lack bass punch and extension, but I personally think their high end clarity is pretty decent for the price, and the size of the housing.

Personally, I am hoping apple will release a newer version of the Dual Drivers that improve on the previous design. Also the woofer driver needs a bit more punch. If they can keep it balanced with the highs, they could have a real winner

I think the answer to your question is to try a few different pairs. Usually any place that sells the Bose IE2's offer a demo pair. The demo pair might be slightly abused, but it would be worth checking out. Also, most place other a 7-30 day return policy if they really just arent for you. I know some people that just love bose stuff. At the end of the day, its your ears, and they like certain sounds.

Jan 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 17

Quote:

As did I. The ADDIEMs are really good if you can get them for like 30 bucks or so used or refurbished. At $80 I don't think they're worth it, though.

For the thread creator, I think you can do much better than the iBeats and the Bose IE2. We just need some word of your music preferences to recommend something.

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #10 of 17
Do you run a lot? If so go for the sport style. But if you are just sitting in a bus and walking, i would recommend the Shures entry level, like the SE215, is $90+ on amazon, not sure how much in emirates. I think it has great isolation and overall sound quality. You can also read the reviews on head-fi. The foam tips are very comfortable. The rock and metal genre is great with these, I also listen to a lot of Rock, they do not have the super bass thingy that is going on with the Skullcandy, but it sounds nice with metal and rock.(No amp needed)

Jan 23, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #11 of 17
thnx fr the advice guys !!!! i mostly listen to rock, metal, death metal n stuff similar to that so my music involves a lot of drumming, guitar solos and growling. i did some more researching and it turns out the bose are really bad at noise cancelling so they r out of question (noise cancellation is a very important factor for me). also i have been using apple IEMs for 2 years now so wont be buying those again (not coz i didnt like them, i just wanna try a new company). another thing is i stay in united arab emirates(dubai), so many of the headphones u guys get in the US are not available here Eg: shure, ultimate ears, klipsch. i actually wanted the monster turbines but they too are not available here. if u do know of any dealers selling there headphones plz let me know. 

Jan 23, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #13 of 17
do you have bowers and Wilkins products there? If so, I personally like the C5's alot, but that's just personal preference. 

Or, you could try using eBay as some of those sellers will ship worldwide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back