Bose TriPorts
Sep 13, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #181 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVincible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Someone talk me out of it, please x_x

You can get Shure in South Africa. I checked the web site listed there and they're carrying the Shure full size headphones. Worth a shot. I don't know the price compared to what the Bose is locally for you.

Sep 13, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #182 of 192
Interesting, thanks for doing that research, Ham. Do you know how these and even the SRH440 would compare to the Bose AE?

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #183 of 192
How much value should I hold in this quote from shellylh?

Quote:

...the 440's just sounded like a cheap can. The Shure guys had me try the 440's with the 840 pads and they sounded like a cheap can with more bass, not good. I wouldn't even consider buying the 440's at this point but I am happy so far with the 840's to use as my "isolating non-leaking can." So, yes, the 840 are much better to me than the 440's.

The 840s are way more expensive than the 440s here.

thanks

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:23 PM Post #184 of 192
Quote:

Originally Posted by JimVincible /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, thanks for doing that research, Ham. Do you know how these and even the SRH440 would compare to the Bose AE?

I haven't had an opportunity to listen to the Shure headphones yet. I can't say. I do know that the sound of the Bose TriPort (AE) wouldn't keep me happy long term. Usable for short term listening but in the long term they would bother me due to the sound style and color. But the extent of that would depend on what kind of music you listen to and how familiar you are with how the music is supposed to sound.

I'd be willing to buy the SRH440 sight unheard and take the chance rather than buy the Bose.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:34 PM Post #185 of 192
My little town has less than 90k people, yet we still have two Bose shops lol... I'll probably take my UE Sf5p's and my iPod down to one of them and see if I can demo a pair. That way I can compare detail and get a sense of the comfort. The euphony had better be good if I'm going to buy them. If I'm unimpressed, I'll definitely get some Shure cans. I've just seen a few comments around the net now where people are underwhelmed. Obviously audiophiles have completely different views, and are often very cruel in their judgements... But that level of doubt shed on them will definitely make me try to Bose first.

Thanks again, Ham. I really like the look of the Shures too. Everyone seems to have Bose here lol dx_xb

j

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:42 PM Post #186 of 192
actually really loving my Bose On-Ear's + basic amp. they really come alive.

Sep 13, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #187 of 192
Aren't the OE's very uncomfortable? I haven't heard any good things...

Oct 6, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #188 of 192
I have to admit Im more of an old school headphone guy,having owned several pairs of AKG 240s over the years,along with SR-60s,a few pairs of Koss Pro 4AAs,including a refurbed pair I got back from Koss today,a few sets of Sonys,a pair of Radio Shack Electret cans made by Stax,etc.
So today,also,I find a pair of New In Box Bose Triports at a local thrift for $10.I guess they were given to the thrift by a shop that couldnt sell them since the top cover of the box was missing,and were held in the box by tape,along with all the accessories,manual,etc.I have to say right up front,that the comfort level is first rate.Very light,and easy to forget you have them on after a minute or two.I would rate comfort up there with my 240s,which is a big complement.I was very disapointed with the build quality on these,though.At the intended price point,I would have hoped for a more sturdy headband,and a more durable looking cord.
The sound quality had a hollow quality to it,with details in the highs lacking a bit,and instruments get smooshed together the more complex the musical passage becomes.I dont want to be labeled a flamer(either type,LOL)but as a middle aged guy,these remind me more of the type of cans you saw frequently back in the seventies,like many of the cheaper RS Nova series,or the lower end of many Japanese electronics giants headphone lines,like the cheaper Pioneers or Sansuis.
Im glad the OP started a serious discussion of these phones,but if I had to pay full retail for these,there are just way too many good contenders at this price.
Just my 2 cents.
Jimmy

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:33 PM Post #189 of 192
The Bose On-Ears, while expensive, are really fantastic cans. They have a thick, crisp sound with great highs and lows that seem to bump the headphones off.

Also, they are VERY comfortable, have a pleather covering. The only issue, since Bose fixed the headband, is the cord...but due to design, you can easily replace it for $5.

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #190 of 192
Interesting reading through this old thread. I have owned my TriPorts for several years now, and I recently just purchased a pair of ATH-M50 cans to replace them. The sound was decent, as was the isolation (great dorm cans). However, they weren't comfortable for me anymore (main reason I switched), as the band's plastic parts pushed on my skull oddly.

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #191 of 192
Did you have the Over-Ear or the On-Ear?

I find the On-Ears the most comfortable can I've owned.

Nov 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #192 of 192
I had the around-ear model. They didn't used to hurt, but I think my head has grown a bit over the past few years
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back